Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times

Advertisements

One of the best things to come down the pike in recent years (no pun intended!) is the E Z Pass. I love using it on the highway. Here and all the way to Baltimore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post

But I don't think these are exclusivly Maine traits. Just an independant, frugal and practical nature.
Very true! Probably many of us on this board could be described as such.

No you are not a cheap lazy bum!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:17 AM

12 posts, read 22,084 times
Growing up in Maine, I can honestly say the only thing I can really remember waiting in line for was to get into Fryeburg Fair! I think many Mainers are not used to waiting in line and resent it now that things have changed. I'm with Mainah and NMLM -- I plan my errands so I don't have to wait in line -- but if there's a long line, I go home! And I can't stand people who try to cut in line! It's incredibly rude!! I don't have a problem with inviting an elderly person, or a mother with her hands full with children to step ahead of me, but if you rudely step ahead of me, expect me to speak up and embarass you!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM

47 posts, read 82,831 times
About the check writing in line...I used to get impatient about this when I was younger. Because, being younger, I was quicker thinking, quicker doing. Now that I'm in my mid 40's, and have 'lived' a bit, I understand why as you get older, sometimes people are a bit slower in line writing their checks, or even thinking about it. (my mother and grandmother are examples) I try to be more patient. Do I like it? No. But I am realizing that this could be me some day, and I hope others are more thoughtful and patient with me. Same goes for the coupons. I remember when I enter the store, but by checkout, I seem to forget until the last minute, sometimes after I pay! Darn!
Sometimes the coupons are part of the reason I planned the trip in the first place. Especially with the economy now. Should I have them ready? Yes. Do I sometimes forget? Yes. And I am unhappy with myself when I do, not to mention how I feel about holding up others.
I too can't stand it when people cut in line. It's rude. OTOH, if the line is a bit 'sketchy' meaning it's not well defined, I have inadvertently stepped in front of people. If someone steps up to me and tells me, I am quite embarrassed and happy to find the end of the line. It's a mistake. Perhaps we should assume this and kindly tell them where the end of the line is before berating the person?
Food for thought...

Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If it's fast food is it really food?

Only if it runs on 4 legs and is sighted in the crosshairs of your scope.

Most Yankees I know aren't stingy at all. In fact, one only need recall the ice storm of '97 to be reminded that Mainers help each other when the chips are down IMHO.

Human nature is human nature and there will always be impatient people. I think that's a different story.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,988 times
Default standing in line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheeler7 View Post
I'm with Mainah and NMLM -- I plan my errands so I don't have to wait in line -- but if there's a long line, I go home!
I've been chuckling a little over the standing in line discussion. Really, there aren't many lines to wait in around here. Today at the local coffee/cafe, there was a long line, and I was standing in it. An acquaintance behind me remarked that the long line was normal for that time of day. We agreed that it was nice to see the business thriving.

Me, I look at a line as a chance to rest.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
i think the only thing we may be stingy with is our beer.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 PM

228 posts, read 474,533 times
Ohh...the line jumping thing does make me laugh some times. Especially when you have started putting items on the check out counter and someone gets in front of you while your back is turned. I do make a little comment on how rude it is to up and go in front of people like that, but hey....if you feel the need to be rude, then go for it. Everything happens for a reason...and that person doing just that might be the one that keeps you from getting in an accident or something by a few seconds. (another subject alltogether...but it has worked out that someone doing something like this has worked out in my favor many a times.) Most of the time, I shrug it off and all that fun stuff.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM

16 posts, read 40,287 times
This thread is so funny - every time my husband and I visit Maine we talk about how kind and generous and thoughtful people are in New England in general... until they get in line. The first time we visited Maine as we were pulling out of the airport someone stopped to let us into traffic and it honestly took us a minute to figure out what they were doing. You mean they are letting us in? We didn't have to force our way? Or cut someone off? Seriously? And then at the restaurant that we stopped at the waitress was helping a patron carry her toddler out to the car. People don't behave that way in Utah, everyone is very much out for number one.

And then we had to wait in line at a grocery store and we felt like we had landed right back in Salt Lake. The two people in front of us were arguing about who was there first and seemed to be getting really angry. We couldn't figure it out.

Now I get it.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
...Here are a couple of hints for any who have not figured these things out in Maine. Social security checks come on Wednesdays. Unless you enjoy experiences like the vegetable market in Saigon, don't go to a supermarket on Wednesdays. Welfare checks come on the first of the month. That's a good day to avoid supermarkets and WalMart. The apocalypse of shopping occurs about every seventh month when the welfare, food stamp and social security checks come on the first of the month and it's a Wednesday. The term "line" doesn't begin to describe it. The so called "line" goes from the registers all the way to the rest rooms way out back. Make a mental note not to shop until about the following Monday.
The sentence to which I added emphasis made me laugh. Thanks for the hints, NMLM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine