Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WhiteHummers View Post
... Does Maine have mineral rights issues when you buy land? ...
I have not heard of this being an issue in Maine.

I own the mineral rights to my land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 PM

12 posts, read 21,007 times
Default Mineral Rights

Great, at least you get to own "all" of your land.

Are there websites / forums / listings for "For Sale By Owner (FISBO)" for land / pre-existing homes in Maine that you know of?

Basements; Are they popular in Maine? When I lived in N.Y. that was commonplace but not in Oklahoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have not heard of this being an issue in Maine.

I own the mineral rights to my land.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:

Are there websites / forums / listings for "For Sale By Owner (FISBO)" for land / pre-existing homes in Maine that you know of?

Basements; Are they popular in Maine? When I lived in N.Y. that was commonplace but not in Oklahoma.
Don't know about real estate websites but I'm sure you'll get a list from folks here soon.
Most homes have a basement in Maine. Trailer homes, modulars and some duplexes are on slabs.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Not that I am aware of.

I made a series of trips to Maine shopping for land.

For the first few trips that I made I had a 'buyers agent' who would give me a stack of MLS printouts and a suggested driving route to see each of them. Then I would talk to him about what I saw, and he or I would contact a few of the listing realtors with specific questions on those properties.

I was very disappointed to learn how frequently properties are listed on the Maine MLS where the listing realtor has never stepped foot onto the property.

Listings that claimed 'Water frontage' but the realtor had no idea if there was water frontage or not, etc.

It took me five trips to Maine and many wasted miles on my car; before I finally got so frustrated that I got to calling FSOB numbers that I saw on signs.

Good luck

Old 10-05-2009, 06:38 AM

298 posts, read 478,658 times
What Bee keeper said.

I am looking for land that is on a pond, lake or river and finding quite a number that have as waterfront property a small crick that might be ankle deep if it was lucky.

If you shop through the MLS's and they don't have a good photo of the body of water, like as not the property is on something the size of a puddle. Also waterfront is not the same as having access to.

Coming to this site was the best thing I could have done. I am learning so much from the folks here preparing for serious looking for property. Dang, I know this state now geogrpahically better than I know the state I have been living for the last 20 odd years!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 AM

16,590 posts, read 15,517,207 times
Quote:
..... The American Indians own large counties of land where it is illegal to even remove rocks /stones from the roadside without obtaining permission from the tribe. And there are sections of land within large cities and towns that are Indian property and not subject to many U.S. laws. Is there any such circumstances like this in Maine?
The Passamaquoddy Tribe has two locations in Washington County, one at Indian Township and the other at Pleasant Point. The Penobscots have locations north of Bangor. Micmacs are up in The County and the Maliseet are near Houlton. There are many other Native American Nations represented in Maine. I'm pretty sure that the sovernity of a reservation recognized by the federal government is the same in all states.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
... I am looking for land that is on a pond, lake or river and finding quite a number that have as waterfront property a small crick that might be ankle deep if it was lucky. ...
There is land available in Maine. You will need to come to Maine to find it though.

I could suggest a trip every few months, each time focusing on a different region of Maine, just to get a better feel for each region.

I enjoyed my shopping trips.

For example, I had always heard of the Cutler Naval facility and had worked with their product a great deal during my career. So I was anxious to tour Cutler, and it was interesting for me.

Another approach is to move to Maine, into temporary accommodations; to base your operations out of that location, so it makes your search for land easier.

One of our regular CD posters began her search for a home in this manner. They moved to Milo for 6 months, during that time they located their 'perfect' home, bought it and everything is working out wonderfully for them in their new home.

Another CD poster has likewise moved into an apartment in Milo, so she is now based here in Maine, and is in mid-search looking for the 'right' piece of land.

In both of these cases, we have had folks over for dinner,
and we have enjoyed their tales as they go through their search processes.

This one seems to be finding a lot of interesting land in the Western half of Maine.

It seems that very few CD posters live in Western Maine. So we don't here overly much about that those regions of the state.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Default Native American

Thank you.

Funny, my wife was born in Oklahoma but her family was originally from Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The Passamaquoddy Tribe has two locations in Washington County, one at Indian Township and the other at Pleasant Point. The Penobscots have locations north of Bangor. Micmacs are up in The County and the Maliseet are near Houlton. There are many other Native American Nations represented in Maine. I'm pretty sure that the sovernity of a reservation recognized by the federal government is the same in all states.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,421,837 times
Quote:
I haven't tried any of these myself, so in no way am I endorsing them. But, ...

Maine Homes For Sale By Owner

Homes For Sale By Owner in Maine - FSBO Maine

Maine Real Estate Maine homes for sale real estate in Maine

Maine Homes for Sale. For Sale By Owner (FSBO) ME Real Estate.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Default Ideas for finding land in Maine

Great ideas. Unfortunately moving to a temporary location in Maine will not work for us as I am still employed in Tulsa, but 6 years till retirement will go by fast. The short time to my retirement made me think I should start learning and looking now, buying the land before we move.

The western half of the state was very attractive to me as well as the northeastern. I'd prefer something of high elevations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There is land available in Maine. You will need to come to Maine to find it though.

I could suggest a trip every few months, each time focusing on a different region of Maine, just to get a better feel for each region.

I enjoyed my shopping trips.

For example, I had always heard of the Cutler Naval facility and had worked with their product a great deal during my career. So I was anxious to tour Cutler, and it was interesting for me.

Another approach is to move to Maine, into temporary accommodations; to base your operations out of that location, so it makes your search for land easier.

One of our regular CD posters began her search for a home in this manner. They moved to Milo for 6 months, during that time they located their 'perfect' home, bought it and everything is working out wonderfully for them in their new home.

Another CD poster has likewise moved into an apartment in Milo, so she is now based here in Maine, and is in mid-search looking for the 'right' piece of land.

In both of these cases, we have had folks over for dinner,
and we have enjoyed their tales as they go through their search processes.

This one seems to be finding a lot of interesting land in the Western half of Maine.

It seems that very few CD posters live in Western Maine. So we don't here overly much about that those regions of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine