Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,449 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is my first time posting here. We are a black family from Charlotte, and we are going to be relocating to Bangor Maine very soon and I am wondering how will a black family be treated there? Are there any other black families in Bangor? My reason for asking is that I know Maine is a homogeneous state, and our move is job related. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Debra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 06:07 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,323,231 times
There is a slowly growing "Black" population in Maine. I don't think you'll have any issues and that you'll probably be treated as any other new family. Coming from Charlotte you may have a bit of weather and culture adjustment but, the people (in general) are friendly and kind. Maine winter will be an experience for you. Hair care products and hair stylists are hard to come by. There's a Blog that may have some useful info for you.
Looking for non-white folks who live in Maine as well as working class folks in Maine « Blackgirlinmaine’s Weblog
Also some census info.
Bangor, Maine: Population statistics
Best of luck to you, I hope your move goes smoothly and welcome to the forum.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,134,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson2000 View Post
Hi,

This is my first time posting here. We are a black family from Charlotte, and we are going to be relocating to Bangor Maine very soon and I am wondering how will a black family be treated there? Are there any other black families in Bangor? My reason for asking is that I know Maine is a homogeneous state, and our move is job related. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Debra
Yes, we do have black families here. Granted, we are often referred to as a "white" state, but I think it's safe to say that most of us really don't care what color people are as long as they blend into "Rome" As a general rule IMHO, we are a "live and let live" state.

Most of the complaints I hear about people "from away" (get used to that term ) are of the kind that involve those who come up here and try to change laws, look down their noses at us, and/or treat us like bumpkins.

I recall sitting in on a local college commencement speech some years ago. I'm shaky on his name, but I believe it was Jim Varner of the Maine Human Rights Coalition. At any rate, he put it quite succinctly when he said (I'll paraphrase here) that when he moved to Maine, it was not so much the fact that he was black that concerned people here, it was that he was "from away." That got quite a laugh.

Good luck in your move and welcome to the forum.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,139,566 times
I believe that you will be treated like any other person. No one is going to care what color your skin is, what color your hair is or anything other outward things. I have found the people in Maine are very accepting, and don't sweat the small stuff. the surface stuff.

Just so you know, you (and I) will always be from "away" as will our children, and most likely their children It's more of a joke here than (as reloop stated) than a bad thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,428,782 times
Hi, and welcome!

There are black folks all over New England, and I have not found Maine to be substantially different than the rest of New England. Up this way, we're about as "Yankee" as you'll find anywhere, so yes, the cultural difference would be noticeable for anyone from the south. Not a real issue, just something you may notice.

And the weather here is something else! I'm in Rhode Island for the moment (you know - that place somewhere between a "road" and an "island"), but you'll get used to driving in snow. If you have kids, they will LOVE it! Just remember to bring some warm clothes along!

I expect you'll make the transition without a hitch. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,449 times
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I am looking forward to making Maine my home!

Thanks
Debra

Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,551,923 times
If anybody looks at you with surprise or curiosity it's because you are a stranger, nothing more; nothing less. They are just sizing you up. Most people find us to be polite, honest and not nosey.

According to the Census Department, Maine is the whitest state. That said, we may the the most color blind state. Check the article in the link below. John Jenkins has been judged by his character and ability. He has done very well on both counts.

Jenkins, John (1952- ) | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed

Old 10-11-2009, 07:24 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,850,622 times
I second NMLM. You will catch more crap being from Charlotte. Most of that will be about your accent. : )

Old 10-11-2009, 08:19 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,981,852 times
Speaking as a Black person living in Maine(grew up in Boston) for 26 years, you'll find an occasional nitwit but by and large Mainers value resilience, independence, and eccentricity. So ALL kinds of folks find themselves flourishing here in the states many nooks and crannies. We don't have a lot of urban culture if that's your thing, but what is here is very open and tolerant.

It does get very cold, though!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 AM

740 posts, read 1,872,599 times
I grew up in Bangor and had a few friends from grade school all the way through high school that were black and from what I remember they seemed to fit in with everyone else with no problem. I would say out of 300 students in my graduating class there were probably less than 10 African Americans, but it was not something you really thought about to much so I could be wrong. From what I have heard Bangor was actually quite diverse during the 50s and 60's while Dow Air Force Base was in town before closing in 1968. One of my friends loved it here but left the area because he wanted his kids to grow in a more diverse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area