Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM

16 posts, read 40,271 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much everyone, I appreciate the info. I heard that this summer was incredibly wet and cold - did that bring on fall earlier than usual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
We get frost in May every year! I pick fiddleheads in May around Mother's Day. In those hollows there are always fiddleheads blackened from frost in May.
The longer you live in Maine the more tired of the winters you become. I'm past the age where pounding around on a snowmobile in a 20 below zero wind chill is appealing. I do not ski,snowboard, or snow shoe (much) though I do like ice fishing if the ice is accessible (not too much snow on it and no more than 4 feet thick). We spend about two months of the winter fishing for smelts. I look forward to winter for this reason. I enjoy sitting in my ice shack on the frozen river ,listening to the hiss of the lantern, and catching smelts. This activity has limited appeal to many.
We watch a lot of movies in the winter. We purposely do not rent movies from spring through fall so there will be hundreds of movies we have not seen at the video store to keep us occupied all winter. You only need to come up with a few things you like to do during winter to make it pass with a smile on your face. Life is slower in winter and boredom can set in if you are not careful to stay occupied or active outdoors in some way. I hear some people spend time in forums and chat rooms on the internet in winter too though I have no personal experience with that aspect of winter boredom alleviation!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
[quote=Alene;11158649]Hello,

I've been lurking around these forums for over a year now and I figured that it is time to actually get posting. My husband and I have always dreamed of living in Maine (we were even on a local news station talking about the economy and moving to Maine and when we got to talking about Maine we suddenly got all moony eyed - my family teases us all the time). Currently we live in the suburbs of Salt Lake on a half acre in the middle of the city. We have visited Maine many times but always during the Spring and Summer. We have just finished remodeling our house and we want to list our home in the Spring, but the only problem is that we still don't know where we want to move.

The problem is that we are (ok - I am) afraid of Maine winters. I hate long winters - by mid April when winter finally let's go and moves on I am stir crazy and if I could I would just sleep through February. So for the past year I have been researching other places besides Maine to move but the only state that I keep coming back to is Maine. It has everything we want

ok here it is.
1.winter how bad is it?every winter is different some times really cold sometimes really snowy sometimes both.
2.are winters long and harsh.?in maine we have two seasons wintah and getin ready for wintah.
3.do cities really shut down?yup every night around 6.
4.are there days you can head out in just a coat with out loosing an ear?
nope every maineah has a prosthetic ear or two.some have prosthetic lips.
5.growing season? we didn't have a growing season this year.
6.hows the weather right now?just right for hunting.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Welcome, Alene.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post

ok here it is.
1.winter how bad is it?every winter is different some times really cold sometimes really snowy sometimes both.
2.are winters long and harsh.?in maine we have two seasons wintah and getin ready for wintah.
3.do cities really shut down?yup every night around 6.
5.growing season? we didn't have a growing season this year.
6.hows the weather right now?just right for hunting.
When cities close down, first they roll-up the sidewalks.

'prosthetic lips' ! LOL

ROFL

Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM

16 posts, read 40,271 times
Quote:
I had a feeling. Seems that the They were right.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
I have a fleece one piece scarf/hood that I dearly love in the winter.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I have a fleece one piece scarf/hood that I dearly love in the winter.
me to. i like every thing about it.well not every thing i hate to shovel snow.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:57 PM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
When I was living on the Cape - didn't shovel the snow. Waited for the next big gust to come about and blow it all away.

Can't do that here in central Mass in the snowbelt. But hey, that's what husbands are for! Actually he kinda likes it, ever since we bought a fancy snowblower.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"Are there days you can head out in just a coat with out loosing an ear?"

Yes; and we send all our one eared people to Wytopitlock. It doesn't sound quite as bad to a one eared person and tourists can't find Wytopitlock so all the tourists are not scared off by all the one eared people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine