Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Do an area at a time doesn't over cost your budget... I totally agree!

Wow... your from up and over too ( in a sense of course) I did not realize that!

True, and we don't live in Eastport, but because we border Canada in the same sense in our travels, we call US. Cellular every month and the call takes 4 minutest and poof off the bill. If it wasn't as easy as all of that.. lockingwould be a nice option.
Now........ if that was fairpoint, then forget it... "Don't pick up your phone to look at it, they bill you for things that don't happen or don't make sense (oops another thread and topic alllll together.)
I was born in Portland but my Mom's side of the family hails from the Vanceboro area. My mother was actually born in Canada in a town called Blackville. When we spent summers up in Vanceboro we used to drive through Canada to go to the big city of Calais to get groceries (and adult beverages for the grown ups). It was quicker than taking route six to route one. My Great Aunt worked at the border crossing so we always took her to Calais when we went. The border guards on both sides always just waved us through when we had Aunt Ev with us!

Last edited by Maineah; 10-28-2009 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
ahh... the good old days of being waved through!! I miss those so much!!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
We had to cross the border into Quebec on our bird hunting trip a few weeks ago at the St. Pamphile crossing in the North West corner of the state. The little store on the US side had no gas (or anything else). We had no passports with us. They did let us cross into and out of Canada to get gas (and beer at $53.00 a case!) with just our drivers licenses as ID. We left our guns at the North Maine Woods checkpoint on the US side.
Some of "the boys" with us had OUI 's on their licenses (among other things) and the Canadians would not let them cross. Even though they had been picked up back in the '70's they still could not cross. They were not happy. They ticked off the Canadian border guards by getting a bit mouthy and the Canadians called Homeland Security in Jackman on them! They held them for an hour at the border and they had to sign a paper in order to return to the US side(30 feet away)! It was an interesting night around the campfire listening to the stories from the ones who could not cross bad mouthing Canada all night long while the rest of us drank our expensive Canadian beer.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
" Where ya from?, Where ya goin'?, How long ya gonna be?, See ya." Ahh it was nice.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
we used to drive through Canada to go to the big city of Calais to get groceries (and adult beverages for the grown ups). It was quicker than taking route six to route one. The border guards on both sides always just waved us through when we had Aunt Ev with us!
Yesss I worked with friends from Vanceboro yearssss back and they would cross into Canada to drive up to Vanceboro.

Yess the wave on thru...

Quote:
I recall it like it was last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Some of "the boys" with us had OUI 's on their licenses (among other things) and the Canadians would not let them cross. Even though they had been picked up back in the '70's they still could not cross.
Yeah thats the breaks...
I always joked with my (DH- from Canada) and say,
"Well.....they don't want our OUI people.. they got plenty of their own."
He'd agree and say -true true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
" Where ya from?, Where ya goin'?, How long ya gonna be?, See ya." Ahh it was nice.
Sometimes they just look at you and wave. I'm not sure if they could see guilt a mile away or not?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Yesss I worked with friends from Vanceboro yearssss back and they would cross into Canada to drive up to Vanceboro.

Yess the wave on thru...

I recall it like it was last year...

Yeah thats the breaks...
I always joked with my (DH- from Canada) and say,
"Well.....they don't want our OUI people.. they got plenty of their own."
He'd agree and say -true true!

Sometimes they just look at you and wave. I'm not sure if they could see guilt a mile away or not?
The USA lets Canadians who have an OUI on the license across into the states why not the other way around? We need to annex Canada and make it the 51-57th states.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I can remember a day when the customs agent would walk to meet the ferry every hour in Eastport and all he would ask if you had anything to declare.

And now we have this.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
I've only crossed to and from Canada by sea. The favorite customs stop on the way back was Bar Harbor. The nice customs man would come aboard, do the brief paperwork, have a cup o' tea, visit and go.

I will always remember the time we came into Bar Harbor from Halifax and I had eight perfectly ripe peaches sitting in a bowl on the galley counter. I had planned to put them in a pie the next day while we were sitting at the dock. The customs man never said a thing, just got up and unceremoniously and gently put the peaches in his brief case. I knew the rules on fruit, etc. when crossing, but I was so set on that peach pie, I guess I just spaced on tucking them out of sight. All these years, I've hoped he took them home to his wife and that she put them in a pie.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I can remember a day when the customs agent would walk to meet the ferry every hour in Eastport and all he would ask if you had anything to declare.

And now we have this.

We have to keep an eye on those "over homers" bringing in uranium or plutonium. I suppose it does keep us on the island safe (or at least the sense of security). But wasn't that a cluster getting that in. They DID find an old storm drain there we couldn't find.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

And now we have this.
The radiation detectors at St Pamphile are three times the size of the ones in your photo! I guess it's because of all of the logging trucks that carry missles into the USA. Your tax dollars hard at work again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine