Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

I think Senator Snow represented the majority of Mainers.....I don't know why she dragged it out so long and is still equivocating....but at least she finally got it right! I dont believe Sen. Snow is pandering to Washington.....she has no need to do that and has demonstrated that she is her own person and not beholden to party or special interests. I respect her.

I don't believe most Mainers feel medical insurance plans should have a near monopoly. CEO's and managers of insurance companies should not be making life and death decisions regarding the provision of health care; huge and ever expanding profits threaten to bankrupt the country and squeeze us dry--the status quo is on a road to ruin. Health Care Reform is essential.

Last edited by elston; 10-13-2009 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,329 times
I am disgusted by her vote. I would love to see proof of what is causing the huge premium increases. Illegal aliens? People without insurance? government not paying enough to cover medicare? Or is it simply the cost of the high tech medical we now have? ( my brothers 16 month old baby has already cost $1.5 million ).

The government isn't the answer. The cost of this measure will destroy us.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Well, some of the causes for the costs could be the proportionately exorbitant salaries that the CEOs of private insurers pull in; as well as their massive coffers for legal defenses in malpractice proceedings. And then there's the mountain of redundant paperwork that private insurers' varied procedures promote.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think Senator Snow represented the majority of Mainers.....I don't know why she dragged it out so long and is still equivocating....but at least she finally got it right! I dont believe Sen. Snow is pandering to Washington.....she has no need to do that and has demonstrated that she is her own person and not beholden to party or special interests. I respect her.

I don't believe most Mainers feel medical insurance plans should have a near monopoly. CEO's and managers of insurance companies should not be making life and death decisions regarding the provision of health care; huge and ever expanding profits threaten to bankrupt the country and squeeze us dry--the status quo is on a road to ruin. Health Care Reform is essential.
I agree with elston and msina here, Senator Snowe DID vote the way MOST Mainers wanted her to. I just do not happen to be in the same camp as the rest of the liberal thinkers on this issue. Maine in general is very liberal and Snowe knows this. That gives her room to do as she chooses regardless of the opinions of the Republican party or conservatives in the rest of the country. It really should come as no surprise given her voting record. Collins is just as bad in my opinion. It's ok though as Democrats are only sealing their own fate for 2010 by ramming this down the public's throat.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
A public option is just that,.. an "option" you can opt to buy into the plan if it will suit your needs better than what you are able to afford in the private sector. Here in Maine the options are severely limited, being able to choose plans offered by providers in other vicinities in the country would help. Being able to "buy into" a public option would at least give some choice. The only providers (I can think of) in Maine are Anthem, Blue Cross (which merged) and Dirigo (which is a failure). We have some coverage through AARP but it's limited to cover some hospital costs. We have this to help with our Medicare.
There is some coverage for military retirees as well but, I'm not familiar with it. (FBK knows more than I)

Old 10-13-2009, 04:09 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
A public option is just that,.. an "option" you can opt to buy into the plan if it will suit your needs better than what you are able to afford in the private sector. Here in Maine the options are severely limited, being able to choose plans offered by providers in other vicinities in the country would help. Being able to "buy into" a public option would at least give some choice. The only providers (I can think of) in Maine are Anthem, Blue Cross (which merged) and Dirigo (which is a failure). We have some coverage through AARP but it's limited to cover some hospital costs. We have this to help with our Medicare.
There is some coverage for military retirees as well but, I'm not familiar with it. (FBK knows more than I)
Maine is a poor state, of that there is no doubt. I'm a Republican and a conservative but I have a heart and do not like seeing my fellow Mainers suffer financially or physically because they can't afford to go to a doctor. As a conservative I do not like change and have a higher opinion of private sector businesses handling these issues than the Government. I understand the frustration on both sides and can see that there is no easy solution to this problem. The government can't do ANYTHING right and the private insurance companies do not want to be forced into accepting people who will surely use their services more than the clients they are now insuring. There is no easy fix. It will cost us all a good chunk of change to insure those who do not make enough to buy insurance or work for a company that provides insurance. In the long run I'd like to see everyone covered (excluding illegal aliens) including those with pre-existing conditions. How we get there is the debate. Forcing people to pay taxes to support others is problematic at best. Taxing insurance policies is not a great idea either. Tort reform might help and that subject has not been addressed in the present bill. A public option will put the private insurers out of business eventually. As I said..no easy answer.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Because this is a political topic, please visit the Politics and Other Controversies forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine