Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Seen this advertised in national auto magazine and wondered what were your thoughts? It just plugs in the wall, no vents, no smoke. Says it runs on about 9 cents an hour for electrricity. Comes in an oak cabinet with the electric heat surge flame inset. If you have this or any model like this, do they work as advertised? What brand, bought where at what price. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
If I remember right, it produces 5000 btu's, while a candle produces approximately 2000 btus...so its the equivalent of 2½ candles...not a whole lot.

Since most states have an electric bill in the 9 cent per kw range, I assume the unit has a wattage size of around 1000 watts...again not a whole lot. I have an electric space heater and it produces 1750 watts...so again its not putting out a lot of heat. But because Maine has the distinction of having the highest electric rates in the country, that meager heat would cost you a whopping 18 cents per hour. For the month it would cost you about 130 bucks. That is quite a bit of money for 2½ candles worth of heat in my opinion.

Now this is entirely based on some figures and a general knowledge of thermal dynamics, I do not own the unit or have ever seen it in operation. But with a little homework, it seems that once again, if something appears to be too good to be true, it probably is. I think that is the case here.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:12 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I looked at them too, but every single site I found that did reports on them said they were a waste of money.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
The guys on the radio show Hot and Cold talk about these and the other "infared" heaters each year. They are a waste of money. Walmart sells 1500 watt electric heaters for about $21.-. They will do as good a job for warming a room as the Amish heaters.

We use the small heaters at camp. Just use them when you are in the room. Shut them off otherwise.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
i thought the Amish didn't use electricity.
so how can they build an electric heater if they dont use electricity?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
They partnered with the company who makes them. The Amish build the mantles that hold the heating units.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
Its a common misconception, the Amish do use electricity as it relates to their business. For instance here in Waldo County, the group uses electricity to run the milking machines and milk tank on the dairy farm. They also use electric fence to coral their livestock and horses. They also have phones in the barns as well, and are allowed to use engines up to a certain horsepower. That is why you see them mowing their lawns with lawnmowers you and I would use, and cut down wood and firewood with chainsaws.

On the domestic front it gets a little more odd, but certainly they use the electron. For instance a lot of their appliances are driven by compressed air. Of course that compressed air is derived from a massive air compressor run by an electrical motor powered off the grid. As for their washing machines, the lady of the house must go out and fire up a 3 hp lawn mower engine which is geared to the unit to wash clothes. No running it through a wringer or beating it on a rock like you would think. But even then as I passed the Amish house one day I saw it was lit up like Leavenworth at night and asked Simon the next day what was up. He said the Elders were up from out of state and that the elders were allowed the use of electricity.

I guess I could have worse neighbors, like meth dealers and whatnot, but I am not so sure I want my daughter scrambling over the rockwall when she's older and hitching up with one of their 13 children. Electricity might be allowed on an Amish farm, but woman's rights certainly have not arrived yet. When I asked him how many acres him and his wife had he got upset and said, "women don't own property" so I am not sure I want my daughter treated one step below livestock. As I said, they are good neighbors, but they aren't the horse driving, beat their laundry on a rock, and do hand tool only woodworking people that you think they are either. They use technology when it suits them...

Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Its a common misconception, the Amish do use electricity as it relates to their business. For instance here in Waldo County, the group uses electricity to run the milking machines and milk tank on the dairy farm. They also use electric fence to coral their livestock and horses. They also have phones in the barns as well, and are allowed to use engines up to a certain horsepower. That is why you see them mowing their lawns with lawnmowers you and I would use, and cut down wood and firewood with chainsaws.

On the domestic front it gets a little more odd, but certainly they use the electron. For instance a lot of their appliances are driven by compressed air. Of course that compressed air is derived from a massive air compressor run by an electrical motor powered off the grid. As for their washing machines, the lady of the house must go out and fire up a 3 hp lawn mower engine which is geared to the unit to wash clothes. No running it through a wringer or beating it on a rock like you would think. But even then as I passed the Amish house one day I saw it was lit up like Leavenworth at night and asked Simon the next day what was up. He said the Elders were up from out of state and that the elders were allowed the use of electricity.

I guess I could have worse neighbors, like meth dealers and whatnot, but I am not so sure I want my daughter scrambling over the rockwall when she's older and hitching up with one of their 13 children. Electricity might be allowed on an Amish farm, but woman's rights certainly have not arrived yet. When I asked him how many acres him and his wife had he got upset and said, "women don't own property" so I am not sure I want my daughter treated one step below livestock. As I said, they are good neighbors, but they aren't the horse driving, beat their laundry on a rock, and do hand tool only woodworking people that you think they are either. They use technology when it suits them...
I thought this post was a simple question about a heater.
Not a discourse of the Amish lifestyle or beliefs.
Geez!!! Stick with the subject. OK?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The guys on the radio show Hot and Cold talk about these and the other "infared" heaters each year. They are a waste of money. Walmart sells 1500 watt electric heaters for about $21.-. They will do as good a job for warming a room as the Amish heaters.

We use the small heaters at camp. Just use them when you are in the room. Shut them off otherwise.
It would have to be a pretty small room to heat with a 1500 watt heater. I have a tiny bathroom in my house down stairs. We call it a watercloset because it's only big enough for the toilet a super small shower enclosure and a sink. It's only 5 feet by 7 feet. It has a 1500 watt blower heater in it and it warms that room well but there is no way 1500 watts would heat a bigger room.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I thought this post was a simple question about a heater.
Not a discourse of the Amish lifestyle or beliefs.
Geez!!! Stick with the subject. OK?
A small informational first hand discourse about the lifestyle of the manufacturer of the appliance in the original post is helpful and not off the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine