Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Got the NVGs. They work even better when it's cold. Better definition.
no NVG's but i do have a gen 2 NV scope.i would like a gen 3 but im not that rich.3500-5000 bucks is alot to spend on a scope just for shootin coyote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
We have packs of them in the backyard woods. When they are teaching their young to kill, they can often wake us in the middle of the night.

There are reasons why they should be hunted. This would be one of them.

I will never see a point where I thought the life of an animal should be held above the life of a human.

Sorry PETA.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM

56 posts, read 139,122 times
The victim was a musician taking a break while on tour.

Coyotes kill woman on hike in Canadian park - Road Runner

Old 10-29-2009, 05:07 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
not to make light of this tragic story. But my 6 year old who can be a little sensitive has been going through some phase were he thinks Coyotes are going to come out of the woods and take him.. I've been trying to explain even though they are all around us they are more afraid of us then we are afraid of them...

I might rethink that theory

PS. This is why I usually carry a gun if I am going anywhere remote and I am not with a large party of people.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
no NVG's but i do have a gen 2 NV scope.i would like a gen 3 but im not that rich.3500-5000 bucks is alot to spend on a scope just for shootin coyote.
Yeah but they're good for other night varmints beside coyotes!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:30 PM

63 posts, read 136,388 times
When I lived in Cushing (south of Rockland) there were TONS of coyotes around the house, and you could hear them screaming all hours of the night. I never had any concern as my dogs always stayed in the yard and we never let them roam around, but I also never expected coyotes to go after people either. My neighbor there at the time got real upset when she heard that some of the locals were hunting them to reduce the population, but when you hear horrific stories like this one, it's a no-brainer.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,984,468 times
I still wonder what the details of the story were. Did she fall or otherwise pose an easy target? Were one or more of them rabid? Coyotes are notoriously crafty and devious. They generally don't go for large prey unless it's an easy mark.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,416,402 times
20-25 years ago we started to have the first 'reported' sightings of coyotes down here on the Cape. At the time, there was a new 'naturalist' on the Cape, http://www.wildcapecod.com/ . He was interviewed time and time again by the local papers and always said the same thing. "The coyotes here do not pose a threat to residents. They will stay in the woods, the brush, etc.." I think given the time he first started making those comments, he was likely correct. But our population basically doubled between 1985 and 2000. DOUBLED! That didn't bode well for wild animals being pushed into smaller and smaller areas for survival.

Within a few years people started missing their small pets. Cats mostly. There was also the random goat or sheep attack. Then it escalated to small dogs being attacked and carried off by more than one coyote in someone's backyard at night. From there, within a few more short years, it was a child being attacked on a swing set in the backyard in the Sandwich area, a woman in her yard being attacked and bitten in her yard in Mashpee, etc.

Since I back up to 800 acres of conservation woods, at night I can hear them in their packs howling and mewling in unison. I have to work very hard at keeping my 6 year old cat in at night. She of course loves the night and wants to hunt rodents, etc. I know it's irresponsible to allow it as she's no match for them.

They're a wild animal. We can't know positively how they think. All we can do is respect the traits we do know about them and the fact that when we step into the woods, we're on their turf.

I though, would probably very much like this poor woman, not even have given the idea of coyotes in the daylight, during an innocent trek through a wooded trail the slightest thought. It wouldn't have entered my mind. I'd have been thrilled to be on a new adventure on a marvelous fall day. How terribly tragic. What a sad, lonely, gruesome way for anyone's life to end.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
20-25 years ago we started to have the first 'reported' sightings of coyotes down here on the Cape. At the time, there was a new 'naturalist' on the Cape, Welcome to Wild Cape Cod . He was interviewed time and time again by the local papers and always said the same thing. "The coyotes here do not pose a threat to residents. They will stay in the woods, the brush, etc.." I think given the time he first started making those comments, he was likely correct. But our population basically doubled between 1985 and 2000. DOUBLED! That didn't bode well for wild animals being pushed into smaller and smaller areas for survival.
They've doubled, and unlike in years past, they aren't being hunted as much either. There used to be a payment per pelt. I don't know if that's still in effect or not.

It doesn't take very long for a large population to be established, and they begin to lose their timidity toward humans IMHO.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:11 AM

3,243 posts, read 5,582,373 times
AR 15 are excellent yote guns. Teamed with predator calling it makes for some interesting and exciting hunting opportunities. Some of our yotes go over 50lbs.

They are fairly thick around here but canine heart worms are rampant so life expectancy is usually at least 1/2 what it would normally be. When they are howling near the house I do make sure the kids stay really close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine