U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 709,423 times

Advertisements

CoastalMaine, I think that one is still open. The one at Kittery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,138,524 times
There is a reason why alot of rest areas were closed along the highway. I wont speak of it on here as I'm sure someone will be offended. Lets just say they became more of a meeting place than a rest stop.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 AM

29,760 posts, read 47,638,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I appreciate art too but don't appreciate money that is supposed to go to roads being spent on art. Then we're hit with this:

[CENTER]Question 6: Bond Issue [/CENTER]
[CENTER] (Part A of Ch. 414, Public Laws of 2009)

[LEFT]“Do you favor a $71,250,000 bond issue for improvements to highways and bridges, airports, public transit facilities, ferry and port facilities, including port and harbor structures, as well as funds for the LifeFlight Foundation that will make the State eligible for over $148,000,000 in federal and other matching funds?”[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

Someone isn't spending the money appropriately now and they want more.
Yeah thats it.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,359,107 times
I always vote no on the infrastructure referendums.
The funds appropriated (along with the interest ), are always used for roads that end with "95" and never reach our end of the woods.
We have a bridge a mile down the road that is ready to fall into the river and no money to fix/replace it.

Quote:
I appreciate art too but don't appreciate money that is supposed to go to roads being spent on art. Then we're hit with this:

Question 6: Bond Issue
(Part A of Ch. 414, Public Laws of 2009)

“Do you favor a $71,250,000 bond issue for improvements to highways and bridges, airports, public transit facilities, ferry and port facilities, including port and harbor structures, as well as funds for the LifeFlight Foundation that will make the State eligible for over $148,000,000 in federal and other matching funds?”

Someone isn't spending the money appropriately now and they want more.
FAQ

Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,446,310 times
I think it's a travesty that the rest areas were closed down. They are necessary for those that need a break when feeling sleepy or for kids that need a break. We travel the turnpike alot and have noticed now that people just stop in the breakdown lane - very dangerous.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:56 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,863,855 times
I too agree with Maine Writer. Also, if they thought they needed to buy art, why not buy from Maine artists. Better yet, have an art contest with a Maine theme for school age children, with judges who choose the top 20 (more or less) pieces. Those could be displayed at the rest areas--might help a brilliant young artist launch a career....for a whole lot less than $100,000. Also offer partial college scholarships to the high school age winning artists. Maine money invested in Maine people. (It would be nice to have those closed rest areas reopened.)

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 AM

17 posts, read 21,017 times
Is it possible that this project fell under the mandated "One percent for Art" edict?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,158,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I've seen the "dog art" at the Kennebunk rest stop. If they paid $102,000 for that, the artist is the one laughing all the way to the bank.
The Wegman photography (of his Weimerarners atop one of the mountains in Acadia National Park) is installed at the W. Gardiner plaza, one of the 5 plazas included in a $24million overhaul. The projected revenue from the improved plazas will be $7 million/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Someone that is a bit creative could have checked out the Art Dept. at the University of Southern Maine to see what the students have that they would like seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I too agree with Maine Writer. Also, if they thought they needed to buy art, why not buy from Maine artists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I was one of the first to gripe at the Wegman photos in Kennebunk mainly because I know him to be a NY artist, not a local.
Wegman is a resident (and I would assume..tax payer) of Farmington, Maine (for a portion of the year anyway), and the art was purchased in keeping with Maine's Percent for Art Act (27 M.R.S., C16).

As far as I know, all artists (including those that may be students) are welcome to submit their artwork for display/installation in such projects, so in essence- the Maine Arts Commission *did* hold an art contest- Wegman won with his proposal. Artists can also keep track of other opportunities to submit artwork for public installation by checking the MaineArts site: Programs for Artists - Maine Arts Commission (http://mainearts.maine.gov/opportunities/default.asp - broken link)

Quote:
I appreciate art too but don't appreciate money that is supposed to go to roads being spent on art.
Quote:
Does anyone know for a fact how the money was raised? Tolls? Or a grant? Or both? Something else?
It was my understanding that the revamped rest stop was a combination effort of the MDOT, the Maine Turnpike Authority, Federal Highway Admin., and the towns of Gardiner and W. Gardiner. I would assume that means that there was some funding that was not generated by tolls. I believe the cost of the artwork (as 1% of the cost of the plaza) was likely included in the initial proposal, not added to the bill after it was started, so I don't see it as spending money that was appropriated to go to one thing on something else entirely.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,980,612 times
I am a member of the Maine Arts Commission . My profile is on their website and I enjoy getting regular event updates. I'm sure there was a national public relations component in the decision-making that led to a Wegman choice. I think there are plenty public artists that reside in Maine capable of the quality needed for such a mass appeal venue.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,446,310 times
Wondering where in TABOR it said that our local city councils would not have control over how the money raised from real estate taxes would be spent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or