U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,966,626 times

Advertisements

I was told that grafting has been the chief apple propagation method for generations now. The apple's genetic diversity is so varied that seed starting is subject to too much variability as to be a reliable duplication method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
I don't consider them edible but it's been so long since I tried them I can't remember why I didn't like them. I can't tell if they're intentionally planted or not. There's an identical tree across the road. They're not in the pictures. Thanks for that link. We'll know how old they are eventually. They'll come down to make room for apples we like.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 PM

474 posts, read 822,040 times
We had an apple tree that produced yellow apples the size of softballs, some larger. They were real sweet and juicy. As far as I know they were Golden Delicious apples. Now this was in Central NY in the 60s early 70s. Don't know if they were known by a different name in different areas.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:05 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I don't consider them edible but it's been so long since I tried them I can't remember why I didn't like them. I can't tell if they're intentionally planted or not. There's an identical tree across the road. They're not in the pictures. Thanks for that link. We'll know how old they are eventually. They'll come down to make room for apples we like.
Planting bare-root fruit trees has an inherent 5-year delay before harvest.

If your existing trees are healthy, or can be made into being healthy; then grafting would significantly reduce how long you wait until harvest.

A large existing root system, if solid can 'mine' a lot of minerals and support a big tree quickly.

I would view the old root systems as an asset.

Prune them hard, treat for fungal infections, and dormant oil spray for boring pests; then next spring go to the scion exchange and graft on better varieties.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
We had an apple tree that produced yellow apples the size of softballs, some larger. They were real sweet and juicy. As far as I know they were Golden Delicious apples. Now this was in Central NY in the 60s early 70s. Don't know if they were known by a different name in different areas.
No that is one specific variety.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,473,314 times
Quote:
Some pruning may help them some. They may make great cider apples even if they're not great fresh eating apples.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
We've done some pruning. I think they're too old and twisted for grafting. I'm wondering why I didn't like them. There are still apples on the trees so I'll try one tomorrow.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,550,148 times
I don't think I've ever had "real" apple cider - I see it in the grocery stores here and I've tried it here but I've never had it from a farm before. You all have made it sound so good that I can't wait until we are up in Maine all year long to try it, made on a farm. Sounds so yummy!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,356,355 times
Quote:
We've done some pruning. I think they're too old and twisted for grafting. I'm wondering why I didn't like them. There are still apples on the trees so I'll try one tomorrow.
Save the seeds!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Each time that DNA re-combines the end results are a roll of the dice. Maybe it will resemble it's parents, maybe not.

Potatoes, apples, brocolli / cauliflower are each like this.

If there is a variety of apple which you like. You will need to graft it.

Since Maine Writer's trees produce apples that she does not like, then the only purpose they serve is to be root systems for varieties that she does like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine