Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,744,776 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite things about autumn is Apple Cider (yes, I know peak apple season has passed). Of course, there really isn't anywhere better than Maine to get fresh, local apple cider. When visiting, I always pick some up. Usually I do at least one apple picking trip too (and get fresh cider at the orchard).

One thing I learned while gorging myself on Apple Cider this year was that not all ciders are created equal. We go apple picking usually at Randall Orchards in Standish. The apples are good and that's where I always got my fresh cider. I've never complained, it's good.

This year, however, my girlfriend insisted that I try some Ricker Hill Orchard (Turner, ME) cider. I did and it was marvelous. Better than I had ever had. I couldn't imagine why it would taste so different. When I held the bottle next to my Randall Orchard's bottle, I could see that the Ricker Hill cider was quite a bit darker and thicker. I'm assuming Randall watered theirs down a bit?

Does anyone know what makes these beverages different (types of apples used) and what's your favorite? I know the season's over, but I can't help but think that next year I may find something even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM

722 posts, read 1,504,277 times
I love cider also, irfox, it is a sure sign of fall for me. The difference is in the apples used, a local orchard out here offers a gala-honeycrisp blend that is my choice.I like a tall cold glass while I do the chores in the barn or yard and some hot at night.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM

740 posts, read 1,873,025 times
I am addicted to the fresh apple cider donuts you can get at the orchards this time of the year. The only problem is I buy a half dozen and usually finish them off within a day.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,744,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
I love cider also, irfox, it is a sure sign of fall for me. The difference is in the apples used, a local orchard out here offers a gala-honeycrisp blend that is my choice.I like a tall cold glass while I do the chores in the barn or yard and some hot at night.
Thanks for the info. That blend sounds fantastic. I drink it like it's water. It's hearty and flavorful. My friends laugh when I have a tall glass of it with me and carry it on the train, but I don't care.

I don't mind putting a cinnamon-sugar rim on the glass and mixing hot cider with a splash of spiced rum at night either. In fact, I'll probably be doing that tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
I am addicted to the fresh apple cider donuts you can get at the orchards this time of the year. The only problem is I buy a half dozen and usually finish them off within a day.
I have never tried them. In fact, I've never even seen them. Maybe that's for the better since I'd likely go overboard. They sound delicious.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,415,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
I too love apple cider. Because of e-coli deaths a few years ago were attributed to it, what you buy now in a store is pasteurized. Some of the flavor is lost through this process. I was thrilled when I bought a quart in Maine and took it home with me as it wasn't treated and the flavor was rich, hearty, and satisfying. I bought a quart at Stop and Shop a few days ago and it's pasteurized and doesn't have all the 'mother' in it like what I bought in Maine. Still yummy, but it's the difference between regular or lite beer. ha!

lrfox, one of the tastiest places I've ever bought mulling spices was from the Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury, Vt. Really a wonderful place to take a day or overnight trip to. Outstanding in every way. They have an apple press working and there is a tour through the whole process. Really fun. Home

Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times
Thompson's Orchards in New Gloucester has good cider they press right there. The ecoil comes from using apples that have dropped to the ground. Deer, cattle, dogs etc. spread the ecoli through their feces and when the apples touch infected ground there can be a problem. Some orchards use drops for pressing but take the time to wash the apples in a sanitizer like iodophor or a mild bleach solution. This will kill any ecoli on the surface of the apples. The best practice is not to use drops in cider pressing though this is not always practical. Blended ciders are the best. Thompsons is usually pressing cider until Thanksgiving. Plus they have excellent pumpkin donuts!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,363,344 times
If I can't get completely untreated cider, there's a place here that uses a UV purifier to treat the cider instead of pasteurising it, still keeps most of the flavor to it while killing any e coli. But this year I got lots of plain old cider, since I helped press some.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:18 PM

503 posts, read 1,019,690 times
I LOVE APPLE CIDER ! But it doesn't always love me

I found if I drink any of the sediment my system doesn't like it, I wont go into detail. If I'm careful and make sure I don't get the sediment mixed with the rest I do just fine I can sit and drink a whole gallon in one sitting The store bought stuff is ok, but as stated, not as tasteful.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,506,221 times
I made some hard apple cider last year and let the mash cook for awhile. It was my Great Grandfather's recipe...and that guy loved his hard cider wayyyyy too much. Anyway it came out good I guess. Taste was not its high point but the alcohol content was incredibly high. I'm still messing with the mash to get a better flavor, yet hold the alcohol content. I guess that is the problem, trying to find the holy grail of hard cider...taste and alcohol content.

As a side note, back before 1900, hard apple cider was the preferred alcoholic drink. The apple industry was also huge until 1938 when the railroad through apple country in central Maine went bankrupt, and then a harsh winter killed the apples. Up until then it was thriving here in Maine. I have some documents off this farm dated in the year 1800 (not the century, the year itself) and it said the farm had 500 apple trees then. In 1849 my Great Uncle was quite insightful and hauled bushel after bushel out to California where he sold them to the miners hoping to strike it rich in the Gold Mines. Most apples were shipped to Boston though where the market was good until the 1940's.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:09 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,983,458 times
Funny, I just saw a televised documentary commenting the importance of apple cider market years ago. The discourse was basically about the relationship that the human population has with apples. The immense variety of apples worldwide is traced directly to the human taste for sweetness and how that played into the natural selection of sweeter apple varieties.

Me, I love me some cider! My DH always complains because I ca drink a whole gallon by myself. One Thanksgiving when I was a kid I did just that...Had to go home from school with baaad cramps. But that's another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine