U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,840 times

Advertisements

I know someone in CA that got a dispensary card through a doctor's recommendation. The doctor's usually charge around $150., per year.
Then you can legally buy it. The stores in Sacramento (he says) are very clean with several glass cases for display and areas to smoke. Usually surrounded by a fenced yard with security guards. Some places you could drive by and not even notice them. Others are in strip malls. The prices are on the expensive side. But there are usually dozens of different qualities and strengths, including brownies. That's all I know. Never been inside a dispensary.

A neighboring town, Roseville, gave the dispensaries a hard time. Wanted them to move, shut down, etc. I haven't read much about it the last year or so. Perhaps the new administration is making it less culpable for them.

As msina says, In the BDN today, there was an article about Los Angeles dispensaries poping up everywhere. With some insight on the pros and cons. And the $5000. fee would in my opinion be a very good deal for the owners of these places in Maine including the growing operations.

From my own experience, I haven't seen much of a problem with the actual stores or growing operations. Just government ambivalence, lack of oversight and inconsistency within towns and counties. I know that it is working for those that actually need the stuff. I just don't know what percentage is sold in these dispensaries for the ones that just enjoy it but really don't need it. That's the debate I guess. That and even having it available at all.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Before you know it, we'll have every deadbeat already on welfare, crazy checks and Mainecare receiving their buzz on our dime. We already pay the Methadone junkies 41 cents a mile to hitch hike to the clinic for their daily dose. Gives 'em the extra income for high gravity beer and ciggs!
That's disgusting and an embarrassment.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:07 AM

425 posts, read 629,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post

Thank you

Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
Quote:
They don't even pay jurors anymore ($10.00 a day!) but they pay junkies to hitch hike to methadone clinics? More brilliant liberal thinking at work.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:15 AM

425 posts, read 629,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They don't even pay jurors anymore ($10.00 a day!) but they pay junkies to hitch hike to methadone clinics? More brilliant liberal thinking at work.
Such compassion is just heartwarming!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Such compassion is just heartwarming!
Peace, love, and flowers man. It's always easy to give away someone else's money isn't it? Skru the junkies. I have no compassion for people, who by their own doing, fall in to drug addiction. Cold turkey works too.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Peace, love, and flowers man. It's always easy to give away someone else's money isn't it? Skru the junkies. I have no compassion for people, who by their own doing, fall in to drug addiction. Cold turkey works too.

I respectfully disagree and blame the docs for continuing to write the scripts. We've all seen the power of addiction, the docs see it too when the patient returns and says his current dosage is no longer working for him. The doc in turn increases the dosage and continues to write the scripts. There are now more progressive ways to deal with pain mgmt than writing another script to someone you already know is addicted to the drug. IMO, in this day and age if a doc is still writing scripts for commonly known addictive pain killers, pull their license.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree and blame the docs for continuing to write the scripts. We've all seen the power of addiction, the docs see it too when the patient returns and says his current dosage is no longer working for him. The doc in turn increases the dosage and continues to write the scripts. There are now more progressive ways to deal with pain mgmt than writing another script to someone you already know is addicted to the drug. IMO, in this day and age if a doc is still writing scripts for commonly known addictive pain killers, pull their license.
I agree. I also think that people should stop believing everything they hear about the latest "miracle drug." I think the pharmaceutical business is in and of itself, the biggest drug pusher around. They just do so legally IMO.

Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, some methodone patients are clinic patients due to prescription pain reliever use gone bad, and most are actually weaned of the addiction (of course, you don't hear about them as much as the welfare abusers - better press coverage there). Even Rush Limbaugh can tell you that. Also in the BDN is a story of a murdered homeless man. One of his downfalls was prescriptions for a back injury. Do I think more could be done to clear out the chronic abusers? Yep.

Be that as it may, good old "Mary Jane" has been proven to relieve nausea and pain in a manner that is far less addictively detrimental to its user. I think the '60s counterculture perception clouds the benefits. I hope that reasonable controls will prevail, and people who truly will benefit from it will get the help they need.

Last edited by cebdark; 11-06-2009 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 11-06-2009, 12:03 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Growing it here would make our 13 marauding raccoons seem like a picnic. You can't live trap human garden raiders... you can't, right?

Not 'live' trap anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine