U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,120,750 times

Advertisements

My brother is in education. He has been for 20 years now. He makes less than half of what my wife makes as a IT director for a footwear company. Maine does not pay well. If it were not for the summers when he can line up painting jobs I doubt if he would even be in education at all...he simply could not afford to make that little. It is really the benefits and time off that keeps him in the education field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 14,043 times
Acadianlion, Thank you for your advice. My reasons for moving to Maine begin with the fact that Maine in NOT Generica. I hate living in Generica so much so I don't want my children to have to grow up in it. I don't make much money where I live now, however I prioritize my life differently than others and I refuse to shop at Walmart or other such big box stores and I support local businesses and Farmers' Markets as much as I can. I'm disappointed in how America is evolving and I crave to live the simple life. I love growing my own food and my partner and I are very curious about hunting. Self-sufficiency is our goal. I have perused some MLS listings and have fallen in love with some of the farmhouses, I even envision having chickens running around.
I'm not concerned with making big bucks and I got in to teaching to make a difference in children's lives but I feel frustrated when if comes to schools full of people who worship Walmart and there's NOTHING I can do to change it. I refuse to give in and thus I choose move as far away as possible to be around people with similar values and to be involved in the lives of those children, along with my own, who may still have a chance at not being victimized by Generica.
Maine so far seems to fit my needs best and it's doesn't hurt that it's near the coast too.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,668,672 times
Default Maine offers social, geographic and geophysical challenges that many people simply do not know about or have never cons

Acadianlion:

" Maine offers social, geographic and geophysical challenges that many people simply do not know about or have never considered."

I would be interested in knowing what some of these things are? I live in a very rural environment now. I've lived there for 32 years and I can't say that the local population has accepted me as a native. Where I live I am surrounded by farms. I have to drive 6 miles to get to a grocery store, and 35-40 minutes to get to a real shopping center. I don't enjoy shopping in crowded places and end up buying anything important on Amazon.

If I were to move to Maine I would be retired, and I would have an income that is steady, as well has having few bills except for local taxes, food, and the usual life event stuff.

I agree that you don't sound like you want visitors, but I suspect you have no problem with visitors, its the ones who want to mold the place into a suburbia type place that bothers you. Hancock county is an interesting place in that it included MDI and Acadia National Park, which is a tourist mecca. I live in a place like that now. In the summer, its very different than the winter. Can't find a restaurant to eat in without a reservation in the summer or on weekends, even if I do drive 35 minutes(unless I go with fast food, of course.)

Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,446,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Acadianlion:

" Maine offers social, geographic and geophysical challenges that many people simply do not know about or have never considered."

I would be interested in knowing what some of these things are? I live in a very rural environment now. I've lived there for 32 years and I can't say that the local population has accepted me as a native.

That's because you are NOT a native and never will be a native. I have lived here for thirty years, and am not a native. I live on property that has been in my family since 1907 and I am NOT a native and never will be. I don't give a rats ass about it and suggest that you shouldn't either: for many, being a native means that they haven't learned anything about much of anything except where they live. Where I live I am surrounded by farms. I have to drive 6 miles to get to a grocery store, and 35-40 minutes to get to a real shopping center. I don't enjoy shopping in crowded places and end up buying anything important on Amazon.

If I were to move to Maine I would be retired, and I would have an income that is steady, as well has having few bills except for local taxes, food, and the usual life event stuff.

You will be like many people. My parents retired here in 1969 and lived in Belfast until they died. Dad had been in education in Massachusetts for 32 years. They had a great life and many friends throughthe years. My Mother had been born in Ellsworth but my father was always "from" Massachusetts and never forgot it.

I agree that you don't sound like you want visitors, but I suspect you have no problem with visitors, its the ones who want to mold the place into a suburbia type place that bothers you.

"Bothers me? Your characterization of me is incorrect. I have no problem with "visitors" or people who move her permanently. Maine's entire economy is based (unfortunately) on tourism. People from other places move here, and it is not necessarily a good thing that they do demand more and more of government than government can provide unless taxes are raised. This places a greater and greater burden on residents here, especially on the young and those who are retired as you will be. You may well buy a nice home here that is comfortable and affordable now, but if the demographics of the community change, and that community becomes more like it was that new residents left behind, how well will your fixed income respond to a doubling of your real estate taxes? I attended a city council meeting not long ago where some people wanted the city to install nine new street lights on their street. There had been several new homes built on that rural road over the previous ten years, and the people wanted more street lighting. The cost of running those street lights was going to add $1100 to the city budget. The question that was asked by the council was whether or not the residents on that street felt that they could sustain an upward spiral of property taxes for an additional nine or ten street lights. This is but one small issue of urban sprawl, and in a small economy, with little advancement in employment or industrial/economic growth, for people living on a small income, it is a real, not abstract problem.

Hancock county is an interesting place in that it included MDI and Acadia National Park, which is a tourist mecca.

You are correct. Hancock County is an interesting place, but its demographics are skewed by Mt Desert Island's summer visitors and to a lesser extent, wealthy retirees. Because the demographics of Hancock County are skewed, many government grants and aid programs are unavailable in this county because it is perceived as a "wealthy" county. I wanted to apply for certain financial assistance programs when I was operating my granite quarry business in eastern Hancock County but was not elegible because Hancock County was one of the "good" counties. Had I been located twenty miles east in Washington County, money would have been available. The "bottom" line is that the average person is no better off in Hancock County than in any other place in Maine. I live in a place like that now. In the summer, its very different than the winter. Can't find a restaurant to eat in without a reservation in the summer or on weekends, even if I do drive 35 minutes(unless I go with fast food, of course.)

There are many other differences between Maine and Pennsylvania. Just the difference in weather alone is a shock to many people. It is less the severity of the winters which is a very variable element, but the length of the winter season. This is more of a problem for many people than for others. The lack of services outside of greater Portland in winter is a concern for some: the fact that the economy shrinks in winter is a shock to people accustomed to a place with a greater number of year round residents and year round employment. It is easy to be seduced by pretty pictures of the Maine coast, but Maine is far more, and less than just those pretty pictures...and sometimes, far less.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM

Acadianlion,

Nothing you have said is much different than many rural places that I have lived. Taxes go up everywhere, and people on fixed incomes have to deal with that no matter what. You might as well live in a place you like with people like yourself, than in a hovel that you don't like.

Are there lots of people who move up without taking the time to find out what they might need while they live there? My wife and I researched the place fully. We've visited in the summers, the falls and the very early springs since the 70's. We looked for a local public radio station, an active Senior College, an active Quaker Meeting, and the possibility of developing friendships. We probably have more friends locally there now than we have where we live now. The people we rent from in the summer convinced us to give up our move to very very very rural western PA.

We will have a decent teacher pension, social security for both of us, and some other income as well.

I do recommend that people research wherever they might move rather than just moving to a pretty place. But MDI is pretty too. We never really wanted to move to Maine(except for a brief flirting with Boothbay Harbor in 1977), we wanted to move to MDI. We could have paid an easy $70,000 less for our house if we'd bought it in Lamoine or Trenton, but we wanted to be on-island for many many reasons.

We'll have another summer party at our rental house this summer, wanna come?

Zarathu

Old 11-25-2009, 11:43 AM

29,741 posts, read 47,547,485 times
Maine welcomes everyone !

As we each move to Maine, we need to find that right place that offers what we want.

Maine does have 'high' cost-of-living areas [or so I have been told]; and Maine also offers low cost-of-living areas.

I would wish to encourage everyone who is thinking about Maine to ask questions, and to make repeated trips to Maine.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,551,976 times
We have chosen to retire to Eastport - it is a fine, small city with most of the amenties that we need.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 PM

29,741 posts, read 47,547,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
We have chosen to retire to Eastport - it is a fine, small city with most of the amenties that we need.
Yes Eastport appears to be a very nice area.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM

The Eastport, right across the water border with Canada, north of Lubec?

zarathu

Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,551,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The Eastport, right across the water border with Canada, north of Lubec?

zarathu

That would be the one and the same Eastport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine