U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,282,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolwiTch View Post
I sure hope that cmist is the type of person who realizes Maine isn't going to have that kind of social life (except for right around Portland) and isn't looking for that kind of thing here.
Nope not my thing. Dont do them here, so wouldnt miss them if they were gone! I'm a pretty simple person, and dont require a thrill a second to be happy.

We spend alot of our life in AZ indoors since its so hot and likewise I bet alot of the time in Maine would be spent indoors being cold. I am thinking if for no other reason, nicer scenery out the windows will be an improvement. Im not talking about moving into an unimproved cabin in the wilderness without modern conveniences. There are equal way to cope with cold, just as we cope with heat out here. Kids will love the snow from a younger mindset since their perspective isnt concerned about scraping ice off the windshield every morning, or shoveling sidewalks.

I also meet plenty of other people from all over the country who experience the season-less, snowless climate of Phx and end up going back to the places they came from and dying to see some snowfall or some changing leaves in the fall. We enjoy more of an outdoors lifestyle, rain or snow, hot or cold, but as a city, Phoenix is not a place for nature lovers, but most cities in Maine appear that way, or does that sound too rosy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 AM

162 posts, read 334,640 times
It's not at all too rosy to see Maine as a place for nature lovers, with a lot of outside activity. Even in the winter, you see plenty of people outside skiing, sledding, ice fishing, snowshoeing, skating, playing hockey, building snow forts or just taking a walk. Some people even enjoy shoveling/blowing/plowing snow. But of course there is a whole lot of indoor activity in the winter. Mainers are great readers, and I saw somewhere that Maine scores very high for enjoying games. You'll find a lot of crafters and hobbyists here and opportunities to learn crafts and hobbies like sewing, knitting, furniture making.

Of course, people who have to go to work get pretty tired of having to clear off their cars and at least make a path down the driveway to get out early in the morning. It can be scary and unpleasant to commute in snow and ice. And there's nothing like a power outage in the middle of the winter to make you curse the season. But most of the time, most Mainers are fine with winter---at least until February when we start to get sick of it and want it to be over.

I've never seen such avid gardeners as you'll find in Maine. Just as we get to the tail end of winter and we think it will never end, the seed catalogs arrive in the mail. Everybody sits and pores over the catalog, fantasizing about what they will plant this year. It's a huge topic of conversation. And throughout the planting/growing/harvesting seasons people talk about their crops and their flower gardens. Lots of people still can vegetables from their gardens and make jams, sauces and preserves from their fruit. Oh, and I live in midcoast Maine, which some people seem to think is just northern Massachusetts.

You should probably know that spring is the most frustrating time of year in Maine. We don't really have one, as a general rule. March is still winter, though maybe with less snow. April might still be winter, but it's at least usually cloudy, wet and pretty darned cold. May is often more of the same until the end of the month. Most vegetables aren't planted until Memorial Day weekend or later, depending on where you live. Even June is sometimes chilly, as it was this year. This year we had almost no summer at all, but this was unusual.

Another thing you might like to know about Maine is that it has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the country.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
Cmist - have you planned a visit yet? Do a bit of research on the towns suggested here and you will have a plan when you arrive as what to check out. After reading over your posts I think Maine will be a good fit for you.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolwiTch View Post
It's not at all too rosy to see Maine as a place for nature lovers, with a lot of outside activity. Even in the winter, you see plenty of people outside skiing, sledding, ice fishing, snowshoeing, skating, playing hockey, building snow forts or just taking a walk. Some people even enjoy shoveling/blowing/plowing snow. But of course there is a whole lot of indoor activity in the winter. Mainers are great readers, and I saw somewhere that Maine scores very high for enjoying games. You'll find a lot of crafters and hobbyists here and opportunities to learn crafts and hobbies like sewing, knitting, furniture making.
You left out Maine's most popular winter sport. Drinking! Maine has a very high rate of alcoholism and we're very proud of it. More Allen's Coffee Brandy is sold in Maine than all of the other states combined!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You left out Maine's most popular winter sport. Drinking! Maine has a very high rate of alcoholism and we're very proud of it. More Allen's Coffee Brandy is sold in Maine than all of the other states combined!
Hey, what about medical marijuana? I saw it listed as one of the states that adopted this. Im not a huge reefer fan, but thought it was a progressive move on the part of the state and considered it a sign of a more laid back population.

How do most people feel about that there?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Hey, what about medical marijuana? I saw it listed as one of the states that adopted this. Im not a huge reefer fan, but thought it was a progressive move on the part of the state and considered it a sign of a more laid back population.

How do most people feel about that there?
It's the "medical " part my friends don't like. (I don't really like pot in general but ALL of my friends do) They should just legalize it IMO and be done with it. There was some puzzlement as to the mind set of the people of Maine during this past election. They repealed gay marriage which isn't very progressive yet passed the medical marijuana law which is quite progressive. Go figure!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It's the "medical " part my friends don't like. (I don't really like pot in general but ALL of my friends do) They should just legalize it IMO and be done with it.
lol good answer. I actually agree, do away with the "medical" part, haha!

In CA I saw firsthand that they have ads in the paper with doctors advertising they give prescriptions for marijuana. I guess you just have to say your depressed and you get some marijuana club card. Then they have all these stores that sell all varieties of marijuana right out in the open.

I found it to be really interesting, it was almost a relief to me to see people letting go of all the old outdated propaganda generated by things like Reefer Madness etc. Does Maine have that type of thing too, maybe in Portland?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Quote:

In CA I saw firsthand that they have ads in the paper with doctors advertising they give prescriptions for marijuana. I guess you just have to say your depressed and you get some marijuana club card. Then they have all these stores that sell all varieties of marijuana right out in the open.

I found it to be really interesting, it was almost a relief to me to see people letting go of all the old outdated propaganda generated by things like Reefer Madness etc. Does Maine have that type of thing too, maybe in Portland?
This isn't California! The list of medical conditions that can be used to access Medical Marijuana is much shorter. I agree, just legalize it.
Active State Medical Marijuana Programs - NORML
Quote:
list of qualifying illnesses for which a physician may recommend medical cannabis to include: "A. cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, nail-patella syndrome or the treatment of these conditions; B. a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces intractable pain, which is pain that has not responded to ordinary medical or surgical measures for more than 6 months; C. a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe nausea; seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis; or D. any other medical condition or its treatment approved by the department as provided.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
This isn't California! The list of medical conditions that can be used to access Medical Marijuana is much shorter. I agree, just legalize it.
Active State Medical Marijuana Programs - NORML
Wow, its still fairly inaccessible based on that. I think in CA you just have to say your appetite is decreasing, and they will prescribe it for the munchies!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:

The law just passed last week. It will be interesting to see how it pans out, Maine has a tendency to adopt every California law, good or bad, a few years after California adopts it. Reformulated gas, vapor nozzles on gas pumps, stricter pollution controls, medical marijuana, etc. Maine's pot law will look very much like the California law in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine