U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,642 times

Advertisements

hi. i live in eastport maine, and find it to be a beautiful spot to live,completely surrounded by ocean,this island is only seven miles long. it is not a big town,but very inviting,and very friendly. we would more then welcome any newcomers here.people come and go all the time because there really isnt any work here for young people fresh out of high school.however,as you say,you really need not worry bout a job,you would do just fine here. and yes we have high speed internet is a great place to relax,and to raise children.the crime rate here is very low compared to some places,that isnt to say that there isnt any at all,no place is perfect. is also a wonderfull place to retire.the ocean is visible from almost anywhere here.the ocean breeze is nice if yah like the smell of clam flats at low tide,and the salty air. it actually seems more refreshing. there are plenty of sites to see if you like to travel only miles from here of other beautiful ocean front,mountains,cliffs,lighthouses,etc. it can get cold here during the winter,but not quite as cold as it is further north. i think you would love it here,and as i said before,you are more then welcome to be here,we are all friendly people,far from prejiduced. look up {Eastport,Maine}. im sure you will see some beautiful pictures of the ocean front,the big ships from around the world that come here,lighthouses,our salmon industry,the way we make a living,and many more scenic views close by
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,555,025 times
Welcome XxshadowghostxX - we are also in Eastport.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,832,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The pro-pot people are pretty persistent (how's that for alliteration??). ............have they taken over THIS thread too........??
Ooooh Sooo sorry. A question was asked, (post 35) a reply posted and a discussion ensued. No attempt to "take over the thread was made.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 PM

29,765 posts, read 47,638,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxShadowGhostxX
hi. i live in eastport maine, and find it to be a beautiful spot to live, completely surrounded by ocean, this island is only seven miles long. it is not a big town, but very inviting, and very friendly. we would more then welcome any newcomers here. people come and go all the time because there really isnt any work here for young people fresh out of high school. however, as you say, you really need not worry bout a job, you would do just fine here. and yes we have high speed internet is a great place to relax, and to raise children. the crime rate here is very low compared to some places, that isnt to say that there isnt any at all, no place is perfect....
What?

"No place is perfect"?

You have been to Eastport and yet you say that no place is perfect?

You must have really high standards for perfection

Quote:
... is also a wonderfull place to retire. the ocean is visible from almost anywhere here. the ocean breeze is nice if yah like the smell of clam flats at low tide, and the salty air. it actually seems more refreshing. there are plenty of sites to see if you like to travel only miles from here of other beautiful ocean front, mountains, cliffs, lighthouses, etc. it can get cold here during the winter, but not quite as cold as it is further north. i think you would love it here, and as i said before, you are more then welcome to be here, we are all friendly people, far from prejiduced. look up {Eastport,Maine}. im sure you will see some beautiful pictures of the ocean front, the big ships from around the world that come here, lighthouses, our salmon industry, the way we make a living, and many more scenic views close by
You do make it sound inviting.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxShadowGhostxX View Post
hi. i live in eastport maine, and find it to be a beautiful spot to live,completely surrounded by ocean,this island is only seven miles long. it is not a big town,but very inviting,and very friendly. we would more then welcome any newcomers here.people come and go all the time because there really isnt any work here for young people fresh out of high school.however,as you say,you really need not worry bout a job,you would do just fine here. and yes we have high speed internet is a great place to relax,and to raise children.the crime rate here is very low compared to some places,that isnt to say that there isnt any at all,no place is perfect. is also a wonderfull place to retire.the ocean is visible from almost anywhere here.the ocean breeze is nice if yah like the smell of clam flats at low tide,and the salty air. it actually seems more refreshing. there are plenty of sites to see if you like to travel only miles from here of other beautiful ocean front,mountains,cliffs,lighthouses,etc. it can get cold here during the winter,but not quite as cold as it is further north. i think you would love it here,and as i said before,you are more then welcome to be here,we are all friendly people,far from prejiduced. look up {Eastport,Maine}. im sure you will see some beautiful pictures of the ocean front,the big ships from around the world that come here,lighthouses,our salmon industry,the way we make a living,and many more scenic views close by
When I 1st started flying I rented a plane and flew to Eastport. This was around the 4th of July. Without knowing anyone it wasn't long before I was able to hitch a ride from the airport to town. Then intown I walked around and spent the whole day checking out the area. I met some wonderfull people. Eastport is truely unique in that is seem's so isolated but yet alive. I was really intrigued by the town and really loved the trip. I decided to walk back to the airport all the time wishing I had planned for a longer stay. The tuff winters have a little concerned but I often think about buying some property up there.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 5,734,701 times
Shadowghost, welcome to the boards.. someday we will be there with you.. sigh, not soon enough.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,287,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxShadowGhostxX View Post
We are a family with 2 boys, 12yr old twins. Do they stand to make friends or are kids sparse? How bout schools?

Thanks for the great suggestion. I dont think I heard one bad thing, so what exactly would you say is the negative, *besides cold*. What exactly is it that you would say is not perfect? Im willing to put up with objectionable weather since I understand everything has a trade-offs.

I currently live with non-stop sunshine in Phx, and its REALLY hard to appreciate it when it NEVER goes away. May be hard to understand, but to me, the anticipation of the end of winter, end of summer, the beginning of fall or spring, is what makes days and time frames unique. When everything is ALWAYS sunshine, or ALWAYS snow for that matter, all the days and years just turn into one big, blurry seamless day when you look back at it.

The relief of discomfort is what makes you appreciate comfort, and so thats how I personally perceive cold & heat. I know that the cold doesnt last forever, although sometimes maybe it might seem that way. But realistically, you aren't lying to yourself when you say that soon enough a new environment will emerge, and the appreciation of the beautiful weather is intensified. However this is NOT so in an eternal sunshine state. We have hot and NOT hot, and when its not hot, the city itself offers little for someone who enjoys nature and particularly nature as described in Eastport!

Also Im not trying to hijack anything into a marijuana direction. I thought it was funny, and it is something people wonder about the state. Since, someone remarked that people sit indoors drinking alcohol all winter, I thought it was funny to joke about other intoxicating substances, and was curious of the residents reaction towards the states decision to legalize it.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM

4,961 posts, read 3,556,263 times
Look, I was not trying to cause a ruckus with the pot post! Just saying....the pro pot people never miss a chance to say legalize it lol..
I've been to Eastport once a long time ago and it was nice, as I can remember (no I wasn't high, maybe drunk but not high lol).
But you should be aware that it's very small--- A city but that is kind of funny because it has about 1500 people.....not much going on there. And the economy has been in rough shape recently. Unemployment was around 20% as of a year or two ago.
JUST SAYING

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 PM

87 posts, read 205,131 times
When our youngest was 12, we moved. We had been in the city. More than one person advised us to be very careful about isolating her from access to pizza places and video stors, etc., places where young people are just waiting to go to when they are old enough to take public transportation on their own. One mother told me that she and her husband had worked all their lives to have the American dream of a beatiful suburban house with a pool for the kids, and the kids were in a rage for the rest of their youth because they had been displaced from walking distance to a pizza store and all the other stuff. they spent the rest of their school years demanding rides back to their friends, or to the movies, or to whatever... ran their parents ragged, and were still mad. So we listened and we heeded their advice. We found a house that had places to go within walking distance or an easy bike ride. Our cities, like Bangor, are teeming with activities for kids, and good stuff to eat, and they are small enough to be wonderfully neighborly. What Maineguy said just prompted me to share this set of thoughts, because I agree with him. Eastport is certainly wonderful, but it might be too much of a jolt for someone twelve years old who has been brought up in the city and has no control yet over transportation.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,287,473 times
Awesome insight Deborah about the kid situation. I had that in my mind too already.

Since I wrote i looked at it on a map, and it looks like I could stand with my left foot in Canada, and my right foot in Maine!! Thats way up there!!! wow, but hence the great pricing.

On another note, I noticed on a regular old USA map that it showed ferry routes from either Bar Harbor, or Portland to Yarmouth Nova Scotia. Is that like a city transportation thing provided by either Maine or Yarmouth, or more like a luxury getaway thing to do. I googled it a little and only found info on a luxury catamaran with getaway packages.

Just curious. Have no idea why I would need to go to Yarmouth, but it looked like an interesting trip to take on a day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine