U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 AM

513 posts, read 1,051,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Who's talking now?
A military retiree... that doesn't feel the need to run around using my military service as a badge to censor other people's speech, because of that service.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
Who's cares if it made him angry? Is he the people's representative of Maine? Does someone force you guys to read Time?
People with a conscience care if they make others angry with their rhetoric. Most people keep their beliefs to themselves and try not rouse the suspicions and anger of others out of basic human respect. Others are rabble rousers who delight in instigating trouble. Maybe these folks are wonderful human beings and the salt of the earth. If their purpose in granting an interview with Time was to have people embrace their cause or show they stand for something saying F-America does not help that cause with the vast majority of Americans. That was the point.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
A military retiree... that doesn't feel the need to run around using my military service as a badge to censor other people's speech, because of that service.
No One was censoring anyone or threatening anyone. He was expressing anger at a insensitive comment same as someone else might get angry if someone was to say Obama is a rotten President. It's all where someone stands. Thank you for your service to our country.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
No One was censoring anyone or threatening anyone. He was expressing anger at a insensitive comment same as someone else might get angry if someone was to say Obama is a rotten President. It's all where someone stands. Thank you for your service to our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
and as maineah says i dare some one to spout anti-American slogans such as f...America in front of me
You're a little loose on your definition of threatening...

Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM

On a less argumentative note, I was fascinated that someone so poor in material possessions could be so rich in creative ability and education that she could write a novel that brought enjoyment to hundreds of thousands of people.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
On a less argumentative note, I was fascinated that someone so poor in material possessions could be so rich in creative ability and education that she could write a novel that brought enjoyment to hundreds of thousands of people.
She's evidently highly intelligent. The article said she lost all of the proceeds from her book. I thought the book was good. I don't care how she choses to live and I'm with you completely on changing the subject!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:54 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Quote:
People with a conscience care if they make others angry with their rhetoric. Most people keep their beliefs to themselves and try not rouse the suspicions and anger of others out of basic human respect. Others are rabble rousers who delight in instigating trouble. Maybe these folks are wonderful human beings and the salt of the earth. If their purpose in granting an interview with Time was to have people embrace their cause or show they stand for something saying F-America does not help that cause with the vast majority of Americans. That was the point.
And yet,............. I remember a recent thread that referenced a local referendum vote in which some made remarks that could very well have been quite hurtful to others here.
I guess it's all in ones position, whether it's your feelings being trod on or the other persons eh?
F- America isn't cool but, we all have moments in which we say things that we don't intend to be understood the way they eventually are.
I liked the article, people that dance to a differant drummer can have some interesting viewpoints, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
As you are with freedom of speech IMO.
Yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater when there is in fact no fire is not freedom of speech. Yelling "F America" on private property amongst like minded friends, even or during a permitted rally in the town square is a shining example of freedom of speech.

If those things bother you, it's either time to stay home or get some therapy...

Old 11-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater when there is in fact no fire is not freedom of speech. Yelling "F America" on private property amongst like minded friends, even or during a permitted rally in the town square is a shining example of freedom of speech.

If those things bother you, it's either time to stay home or get some therapy...
So much for changing the subject I guess.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,263,433 times
Quote:

I find in my travels that there are many people like that. Unfortunately, they aren't often exposed. It doesn't make for great ratings IMO...but, I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Personally, I'd rather have seen both the militia story AND another story run along with it that would illustrate another mindset of Maine.

That, to me anyway, would be considered "balance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine