U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM

513 posts, read 1,050,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
She's evidently highly intelligent. The article said she lost all of the proceeds from her book. I thought the book was good. I don't care how she choses to live and I'm with you completely on changing the subject!
That's not a fair statement that she lost her money.

The article says:

"Carolyn had shared the cash from her book sales and big advances to help her daughter, mother, and several friends."

I read that as she shared and gave away her wealth to help others less fortunate, which makes her even more special.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
And yet,............. I remember a recent thread that referenced a local referendum vote in which some made remarks that could very well have been quite hurtful to others here.
I guess it's all in ones position, whether it's your feelings being trod on or the other persons eh?
F- America isn't cool but, we all have moments in which we say things that we don't intend to be understood the way they eventually are.
I liked the article, people that dance to a differant drummer can have some interesting viewpoints, even if I don't necessarily agree with them.
Maybe it's me but agreeing with the winning side of a referrendum should not make someone out to be the lone insensitive person. Obviously the majority of people voting on that issue felt the same way. Seems people should be angry with 52.8% of the population. It's hardly insensitive to be happy that a vote you made went the way you wanted it to go. I'm sure it felt to some like they were having their noses rubbed in it a bit but losing always feels bad...I voted for McCain...I know how you feel.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy46 View Post
That's not a fair statement that she lost her money.

The article says:

"Carolyn had shared the cash from her book sales and big advances to help her daughter, mother, and several friends."

I read that as she shared and gave away her wealth to help others less fortunate, which makes her even more special.
Sharing your wealth to the point of poverty is losing it all regardless of how it's interpreted. I feel that anyone who squaders a fortune is a fool.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So much for changing the subject I guess.
I said "on a less argumentative note." The song itself hasn't changed.

But let me clarify some things and inject some perspective. I would probably never, ever say something like "F America" even amongst friends, family, and certainly not in public, because as you mentioned that "conscience" thing would prevent me from doing that. On the other hand, I don't feel it's right interfere with others who may say it. It's their right. It's always better to head the other way, even if mad, rather than argue about things that are people's rights.

On the military subject, we've got some different generations running around. I could easily see how someone who was drafted for Vietnam could have far different values and beliefs than someone from say the all volunteer force that followed and exists today.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Sharing your wealth to the point of poverty is losing it all regardless of how it's interpreted. I feel that anyone who squaders a fortune is a fool.
What? She didn't get a bailout at zero interest to get back on her feet? Maybe that's what she's mad about?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I said "on a less argumentative note." The song itself hasn't changed.

But let me clarify some things and inject some perspective. I would probably never, ever say something like "F America" even amongst friends, family, and certainly not in public, because as you mentioned that "conscience" thing would prevent me from doing that. On the other hand, I don't feel it's right interfere with others who may say it. It's their right. It's always better to head the other way, even if mad, rather than argue about things that are people's rights.

On the military subject, we've got some different generations running around. I could easily see how someone who was drafted for Vietnam could have far different values and beliefs than someone from say the all volunteer force that followed and exists today.
You are right on both subjects. Walking away is always better than coming to blows. Personally I'd walk . There ARE others who would not so easily walk away. They have more invested in the fight than I do. I respect their investment and understand why they feel the way they do.
On the voulnteer service it's always better to make up a group of people out of volunteers than to force people to do something against their will.
It took us a while to figure that out.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
What? She didn't get a bailout at zero interest to get back on her feet? Maybe that's what she's mad about?
She'll no doubt get a grant from the National Endowment For the Arts after that article!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:27 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,282,172 times
Quote:
People with a conscience care if they make others angry with their rhetoric. Most people keep their beliefs to themselves and try not rouse the suspicions and anger of others out of basic human respect. Others are rabble rousers who delight in instigating trouble. Maybe these folks are wonderful human beings and the salt of the earth. If their purpose in granting an interview with Time was to have people embrace their cause or show they stand for something saying F-America does not help that cause with the vast majority of Americans. That was the point.
I agree with this. In the VERY little bit I know about Maine, I can now see this is clearly a divisive topic. Surely someone who lives in the area would know the implications of saying something so offensive, and maybe it would be wiser to get your message across in a less controversial manner.

I can see how its hurtful to a veteran who put their life on the line and the viewpoint of Rangr is not unusual, so a wise movement actually concerned about gaining the largest pool of local support would carefully choose how to proceed with their message.

Controversy just for the sake of controversy alone only discredits your cause. As the poster earlier had said about the destruction of cars in Vermont, etc. The message may have been good, but all the attention went on the vandalism and no one was looking at the cause anymore, and that just made the whole movement look meaningless.

BUT, its my view, and nothing more, that someone that proclaims their hatred for America and someone who proclaims their hatred of the government is the SAME person. These two people should be standing side by side, and not apart. The only thing standing between them is vocabulary.

When they are living on this soil making remarks like this, its their first intention to garner attention and incite change in the land they love. The goal is to get people to SEE HOW ANGRY they are at the GOVT as well as the large complacent population that enables them.

Now, heres what BOILS MY BLOOD! Lets look at the IRAQ situation. We fought over there for THEIR FREEDOM!!!! Yet, they are over there, burning flags!!! Thats a whole different beast altogether, they arent americans, so I hope that they come here and say it to Rangr's face, and I would like to watch THEM get what they deserve!!!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-13-2009 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: please watch your language. thanks.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM

643 posts, read 1,254,134 times
Quote:
"Openly conservative and out of the closet"
ROTFLMAO

If you think you were in the closet my dear maineah, you need to find a better hiding place next time.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,347,236 times
Interesting thread, but it would be nice to not interject political or religious posts.
1000+ patrons pass through my doors every week and if these topics arise, I vamoose to the deepest part of this ole' building.
FAQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine