U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,261,488 times

Advertisements

Oh dear...anyone want to place bets on how "backwater" this is going to make Mainer's look now?

How the Beans of Egypt, Maine, Sprouted a Militia - TIME

I must admit 'tho, I find this quote quite charming:

"We ain't right wing, we ain't left wing. We're trying to get the folks to see the problem ain't left vs. right; it's up vs. down. A Republican is a standard screw," said Chute. "A Democrat is a Phillips screw. So whichever way you vote, you get the screw."

Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,163,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

"We ain't right wing, we ain't left wing. We're trying to get the folks to see the problem ain't left vs. right; it's up vs. down. A Republican is a standard screw," said Chute. "A Democrat is a Phillips screw. So whichever way you vote, you get the screw."
I LOVE Carolyn Chute's quote!! Does not seem backwoods at all to me, imho. Actually it is quite witty!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:55 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,104,943 times
Bunch of rejects IMO.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 PM

263 posts, read 688,323 times
Eeek! As an outsider looking in, if I've never been to Maine before something like this article would probably keep me away Reminds me of something that might be on The Beverly Hillbillies many moons ago.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Oh dear...anyone want to place bets on how "backwater" this is going to make Mainer's look now?
Every state has its characters. Back in the '80s someone in FL asked me if we had electricity in Maine yet. (Does Florida have gators? )

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,049,737 times
A woman did a book in the 80's called the Beans of Egypt Maine I think, and it was pretty sad of what the Beans really were. I know there was lots of inbreeding. I know back in the day that was common as people did not move far, but apparently they kept it up to keep the lineage small.

Then there was Linda Bean who changed in name in the 1980's to Linda bean thinking people would just vote for her because of her affiliation with LL Bean. She over-spent her competitor by millions and millions of dollars, but the tactic back-fired...the day after the election this title was in the national news "Maine voters will not be bought", funny how that happened with question one last week as well, but I digress.

Today Linda Bean is still up to her antics. She is using her wealth to buy up most of the water front property in Martinsville, Port Clyde and Tennants Harbor. She pays inflated prices for the property and is buying large sections of land, though her intentions aren't very clear. Its big enough tracts to wonder what she has planned...its not simply investment property for sure. ???

But LL Bean is one of the biggest businesses in Maine, so obviously it is in our best intrest to keep all this questionable stuff under our hat and let the people from away continue to help Maine's economy. After all, every family has some questionable stuff in its past.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Bunch of rejects IMO.
I have to agree.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Every state has its characters. Back in the '80s someone in FL asked me if we had electricity in Maine yet. (Does Florida have gators? )
I agree.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
A woman did a book in the 80's called the Beans of Egypt Maine I think, and it was pretty sad of what the Beans really were. I know there was lots of inbreeding. I know back in the day that was common as people did not move far, but apparently they kept it up to keep the lineage small.

Then there was Linda Bean who changed in name in the 1980's to Linda bean thinking people would just vote for her because of her affiliation with LL Bean. She over-spent her competitor by millions and millions of dollars, but the tactic back-fired...the day after the election this title was in the national news "Maine voters will not be bought", funny how that happened with question one last week as well, but I digress.

Today Linda Bean is still up to her antics. She is using her wealth to buy up most of the water front property in Martinsville, Port Clyde and Tennants Harbor. She pays inflated prices for the property and is buying large sections of land, though her intentions aren't very clear. Its big enough tracts to wonder what she has planned...its not simply investment property for sure. ???

But LL Bean is one of the biggest businesses in Maine, so obviously it is in our best intrest to keep all this questionable stuff under our hat and let the people from away continue to help Maine's economy. After all, every family has some questionable stuff in its past.
Carolyn Chute (author of Beans) is who this is about.

Yes, every family has a blacksheep. I just found this interesting because it's such a perpetuation of the stereotypical backwoods person. At the very end she makes her point about her shell casings being tipped with sharpened pencils. Personally, I think it's a poor way to make a point since IMHO, probably 90% of the people reading it will think Mainers are such kooks that they won't get to the bottom of the article.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:05 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
Quote:
probably 90% of the people reading it will think Mainers are such kooks that they won't get to the bottom of the article.
If they're that short on common sense and really think we're all like the people in this article, we're better off if they stay away. Far, far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine