U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:11 AM

177 posts, read 526,925 times

Advertisements

Wow, I've been looking at Maine videos and pics and some data most of the night, and I am very impressed. I've been obsessing over moving to Oregon since our vacation there in May of this year, but I'm actually starting to get over it. I've been searching for a job there as an RN since May!! I totally understand that the economy is bad, but even when hospitals had openings no calls (and I have a good resume). Well, two calls actually out of allll of my apps but didn't get a call back on either! I'm feeling a little rejected by Oregon, but there is hope! Maine is beautiful!!!! Some of the main things I like about it are all the beautiful lighthouses (would LOVE to take a Christmas vacation to one of them ...awwww ), and I love how from what I saw there is like only one slightly big city and many smaller ones and towns. I like the be near action and things to do, too, but that's awesome how it has so many small villages and towns. The weather from what I see seems a little cold for me to live there permanently, but I don't know .... may be worth it. I love that it is close enough to drive to Boston or NY, ect., too! I'd love being near the ocean!! AND from what I see housing is reasonable there!!! Not sure about wages, but housing is surprisingly reasonable (especially IMO from what I've seen in Oregon).

Anyway, here is what my significant other, Mike, and I are looking for: Most important we need to be near an engineering school that he can get in to ...one that isn't too expensive and doesn't have really picky requirements. He's non traditional, going back at age 34 .. so we really don't want them basing everything on high school work. He has some community college courses done that'll help with engineering, but still has like 17 hours to get an Associates degree. So, it'd be nice to be near a 4 year school with a community college close by.

Also, I'm an RN so shouldn't be too awful hard to find a job .. not unless the economy there is as bad as Oregon, or something?
Also, we'd like a small little cozy town/village (I'm talking 10,000 or less) hopefully within 15 miles of a bigger place with more to do (and I really need to be near a Target store). I'd like a little cozy place with nice unique maybe artistic people. A place where people know each and are friends other but aren't small minded and nosey ect.

How does Maine rank of the religious side?? Cause I'd like a more NON religious area if possible ... but spirituality would be nice,

Anyway, I can't have it all, but these are just some thoughts .,.. jussst incase. Sometimes these moves I'm trying to plan seem impossible, but it would just be so fun if it would all fall in place!

So, I'd like any info regarding any of this and also specifically wanted to know about the towns right near Portland that fit my description ... but also other places around the state!!
Thanks, and I will research in other posts now, too. I was impatient and wanted to get my thoughts out first!

Last edited by Melissa E; 11-09-2009 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,443,266 times
You have a lot of research to do and you should start to do it on the Internet from where you are. But very, very soon you will need also to make a trip to Maine and spend some time touring around. Maine is a very large state for the northeast, and has few people: there are almost five times as many people in Missouri as there are in Maine, and they earn on average a considerable amount more each year than people in Maine do. Maine isn't quite as large as Missouri in area, but not terribly much smaller, either.

Why is this important for you? Well, you can expect nursing jobs to be many fewer than in Missouri and the pay scale will be considerably lower. At the same time, the cost of living in Maine will probably be considerably higher than where you are in Missouri.

Maine has an excellent engineering school at the University of Maine in Orono. I do not know if there are other engineering schools associated with the University of Maine system, and while there are other excellent universities in Maine, they are all private and expensive. Your husband will need to explore what the offerings are at UMO which he can do on line, and then see what if any of his existing credits will transfer.

When you visit Maine you will need to make Orono on the top of your itinerary. That is where the University is, and also is relatively close to Bangor, Maine's third largest city (Population: 35,000). There is a Target there. I believe there is one other Target in Maine and that is in South Portland.

If shopping is particularly important to you, you will undoubtedly be disappointed in Maine. The greater Portland area...roughly a fifty mile radius area from the New Hampshire border...is much like a semi-rural suburb of Boston. You can shop til you drop there with no problem...remember, I said: fifty mile radius, so in addition to shopping til you drop, you will also do a fair amount of driving unless you can afford to live near greater Portland itself, which is the most expensive area in Maine to live also.

The rest of Maine is rural with small towns separated by often considerable distances. These distances are covered by traveling on primarily two lane roads, and while the road quality is pretty good generally, about forty percent of the year travel can be challenging. I am not speaking of snow. I am speaking of snow, ice, fog, rain and darkness, all mixed in together and not even the weatherman knows for sure and is often wrong.

I think the most important thing for you to do first, is to find out what kinds of educational opportunities exist in Maine for your husband. That will determine where you should first explore and first look for places to live. Orono is a nice town with the big university. It is near Bangor which is the economic center of eastern Maine and the largest city in the northeastern part of Maine. ALL other towns and cities are very small by comparison, the largest being Ellsworth 25 miles away with its population of 5500 or so. There are other towns of similar size within 50 miles of Bangor, but there are many many more that have populations smaller than 2500.

For reference, Orono is around 170 miles from Portland. Orono also has frontage on Interstate 95, which is the only Interstate highway in Maine.

So once you decide where there are engineering schools of interest to your husband, you need then to see what sort of opportunities for nursing exist. In Orono there is little to nothing, but in Bangor there is Easter Maine Medical Center, and all the support and other medical practice opportunities that go along and live on the fringes of a major medical facility.

There are other medical centers and hospitals also, but they are all further than ten or fifteen miles. Maine Coast Memorial Hospital is in Ellsworth, there is a small hospital in Machias as well as in Blue Hill. There is a medical center in Waterville, which is fifty miles further down the Interstate, and the large towns will have hospitals also...Lewiston, Maine's second largest city has one and there is a hospital complex in Brunswick...all of these moving progressively closer to Portland. And in Portland itself there is Maine Medical Center which is a huge complex, and like Bangor is center to a very large medical services complex.

As far as nursing jobs are concerned, I can only suggest that you investigate on line, and then make telephone calls to do further research. You will probably find it difficult to land a nursing job without a lot of PERSONAL contact, by telephone and then when you make your first trip to Maine, in person.

From time to time nurses will make inquiries about living in Maine because they have a referral from a nursing referral service about temporary jobs in some parts of Maine. These inquiries are usually about housing, and usually about temporary housing in high tourist travel areas. But if you know of or can belong to a nursing referral service, that may make finding a nursing job easier for you.

But make no assumptions that because you have an RN you are an easy hire. LPNs are often in greater demand because they can be hired at a lower wage than RN's, and some hospitals are using MD hospitalists and have reduced their RN staffing.

Also, NEVER forget the magic formula: Maine is a state long on beauty and short on economy. It is a big state, with 1.3 million people. EVERYTHING is keyed off those two facts.

By all means, do your research, and then plan as soon as possible to come and visit. And your first visit needs to be in January or February, because it is surely true as they say in Maine: "If you can't stand the winters, you don't deserve the summers!"

Good luck in your search!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Remember to get Maine tuition rates rather than out of state, you must establish residency. I know two RNs (Wilton and Bangor) who haven't had problems finding work--seemingly as much or as little as desired....job sharing--two days one wk.; three the next....hospital work, doctor's office, home health care...maybe they have been very fortunate. If school systems will hire an ed tech to avoid paying a teacher salary then choosing an LPN over an RN to save money wouldn't be out of the question. Acadianlion must be becoming an expert at copy, paste, and edit. Good luck, Melissa E.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 AM

177 posts, read 526,925 times
Thank you for the info and thoughts, my new Maine friends!!! Bless you! I have some things to think about and lotts of research, and I am looking into planning a vacation there!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:28 AM

4,861 posts, read 3,517,391 times
Be very careful about what part of Maine you choose...........no disrespect, but if you happen to land in a part of Maine that IS fairly religious, and you bring your attitude about religion with you (and are as open about expressing it), you will have major problems being accepted. People will definitely feel like you are moving here from away and then attacking them and what they stand for.
There are more liberal areas (I guess you would say) that don't mind your expression of disapproval, and you won't be as frowned on. Do your research carefully or you will be setting yourself up.
JUST SAYING.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
All very good points here as usual. I might ad that some of the major hospitals have an RN intern type of program. A friend of mine just finished it. It is a year long study and intense hands-on program which will land you an RN license in the end. The hospital funds your education with an obligation to work for them for four years when the program is complete. There are alot of takers for this program and it is undoubtedly one of the reasons out of state RN's are not in high demand.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,549,623 times
I'm not sure what you are asking when you said you wanted a more non-religious place. Everyone is religious for or to or about something, whether it be Christianity, Judaism, worshipping the mountains, trees, sky, the bar down the street, wiccans, the sun, the moon. So I don't know quite how to answer that question. Everyone else has done a great job with answering your questions.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,282,172 times
r
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'm not sure what you are asking when you said you wanted a more non-religious place. Everyone is religious for or to or about something, whether it be Christianity, Judaism, worshipping the mountains, trees, sky, the bar down the street, wiccans, the sun, the moon. So I don't know quite how to answer that question. Everyone else has done a great job with answering your questions.
I kinda understand the question and will make no statements one way or the other about my own religious viewpoints, but I think its a good question and interested in more information about the reality of this.

There are areas in the "bible belt" for instance, small towns that know everything about one another that will base their entire opinion on you based on how frequently you attend church services. Which is strange since a major point of christianity is "judge not, lest ye be judged". I dont want to get into religion, but thats a truism that always eluded me, as I dont see the correlation between how often you attend church services and how "good" you are.

As an example, where I live now, in AZ, there are certain towns that are predominantly mormon. The scenery is awesome, the town seems like a great family place to live. However, an unknowing person would find themselves surrounded by people who make them feel extremely uncomfortable because they dont have a need to incorporate the church itself into their daily life.

This same person could be volunteering at homeless shelters, clothing the poor, adopting stray animals and spreading cheer about life, but that wouldn't be enough. You have to be their religion, and be highly active in the church functions or you dont belong.

If there are some smaller communities in Maine that are dominated by any one religious viewpoint, its important for a person to know and I have the same question.

Im hoping since corgis is baffled by the question that the descriptions of the problems I mentioned above are so unlike anything he's ever seen, that it really doesnt exist there.

Last edited by cmist; 11-09-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times
Default Links

You've received some great advice - as usual.

Here is a link to the state jobs portal:

Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities

Within the Bangor area there are 2 hospitals:

EMMC Careers at EMMC

General Info: General Information

St. Joseph Hospital is a Catholic hospital run by the Felician sisters:

https://www.stjoeshealing.org/

UMaine School of Engineering:

The University of Maine - School of Engineering Technology - Contact Information (http://www.umaine.edu/set/contact/index.htm - broken link)

UMaine: The University of Maine - The University of Maine -

Orono (pronounced Or - ah- no not O-row-no btw LOL) Maine: http://www.orono.org/

Best of luck!

Last edited by cebdark; 11-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Doh!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
Check out the University of Maine's southern campus. It is in South Portland and they may have an engineering school there. Maine Medical center is also in Portland. If you work and go to school in the Portland area there are many small towns around there. If I had my choice I would pick Bath - I love the beach. I live in Bangor so if you have any Questions about my area just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or