Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 08:53 AM

171 posts, read 463,070 times

Advertisements

Dear Folks, my great grandparents lived in Dexter and I keep coming to visit, but so far have not really thought I could live there permenently, but I do like the town. Can one get aroud and do stuff in the winter, like eat out in Bangor or go for a day trip to Portland?? I'm not into ice fishing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybc View Post
Dear Folks, my great grandparents lived in Dexter and I keep coming to visit, but so far have not really thought I could live there permenently, but I do like the town. Can one get aroud and do stuff in the winter, like eat out in Bangor or go for a day trip to Portland?? I'm not into ice fishing...
yep, so long as you can shovel your way out of your dooryard (or contract with a good plow guy) there should be no problem getting around. Even the small towns that I know of (I live in Corinth, work in Levant) have the town plows out early when the white stuff starts to fall, keeping the roads clear.

Once in a while I end up following (or even passing... ) the town plows, but mostly it's a non-issue.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybc View Post
I'm just up the road in Dover and I had the same mindset just over a year ago when I moved here. Wondering too if I could get around in the winter and get to places. I was here all last winter in a VW Passatt Wagon with only regular highway tires and had no problem getting around as the roads are plowed and salted with a schedule to be admired. They seem to really do good with that stuff around these parts. Reminds me of the upper sierra's near where I lived in CA. Close to 25 different ski resorts. They have to take plowing seriously up there too and Maine matches that, if you ask me. So as long as you have a little adventuresome spirit and studded tires (can't get those in CA), you should be good to go when it's -20 and after a foot of white stuff.

As far as ice fishing, me too. Not an ice fisherman. But the lake in Dexter, Lake Wassookeag has some really nice snowmobiling. And every Feb., the local clubs sponsor speed trials. Fun stuff.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 AM

8 posts, read 27,221 times
I lived in Dexter and my husband commuted to Bangor for work every day with no problem in a simple front wheel drive car. He went the back roads as it is closer but getting to 95 is no problem and it is always passable. The worst I remember is being about an hour late during an active snowstorm when the speed limits were reduced.

btw, I still have a house there on the golf course and fronting the trail/snowmobile path to the downtown and lake. I might be convinced to sell if you're interested. It is a giant victorian on an acre, but has been sitting empty since my husband passed away so needs some work.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Thinking of moving from Florida to Dexter. We are in our upper 40's .any advise? Where are affordable areas to buy a home ?? Or rent if we can't find anything on our price range.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
The FBI says that Maine is the safest state. Dexter is a quiet town, not too far from Bangor to be convenient, but far enough out to be considered rural. Home prices are reasonable. The more rral you get, the lower you'll find home prices. Part of it is the cost of fuel if you will be commuting. A couple of decades ago it was not unusual for an employee to commute 90 miles each way to work. Today the cost of fuel makes that impossible unless it is a very well paying job.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
I'm from Dexter and as long as your work situation is good, this is a great small town to live. You can decide just how involved you want to be. Having 2 kids finish high school here pulled us just far enough into things. There are always classes and church events. I hope you do decide to come up here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine