U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times

Advertisements

See, now we always just called them red ants among the nice names I can say here. They are a nuisance and a half. Especially in the raspberry bushes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,660 times
Anyone know if Lubec has a fire ant problem?

Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
See, now we always just called them red ants among the nice names I can say here. They are a nuisance and a half. Especially in the raspberry bushes
I thought I had some of them behind my house here in Freeport. They were small, red and lived in a mound. I stuck my hand in the mound to see if they would bite me but received no stings. Puzzled I contacted the U of M Cooperative Extension Service and they told me they were most likely Adirondack mound building ants. Never heard of them. Skunks love them and dug them out and ate the whole nest. That's probably why Eastport has a lot of skunks too as they love to eat ants.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,549,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I thought I had some of them behind my house here in Freeport. They were small, red and lived in a mound. I stuck my hand in the mound to see if they would bite me but received no stings. Puzzled I contacted the U of M Cooperative Extension Service and they told me they were most likely Adirondack mound building ants. Never heard of them. Skunks love them and dug them out and ate the whole nest. That's probably why Eastport has a lot of skunks too as they love to eat ants.

We do have a large population of skunks - wish they'd get to eating those fire ants. We boarded up the back stairs this past Spring so the dogs couldn't get under the steps and when we left last Fall, we went down to the local hardware store and got a bag of what they recommended (can't remember the name) and mensaguy poured it all over the back yard after we got the dogs crated and in the car, then got in the car and left for the season. I didn't see any in the back yard this past year but maybe it was bacause all it did was rain all Spring and Summer.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
We do have a large population of skunks - wish they'd get to eating those fire ants. We boarded up the back stairs this past Spring so the dogs couldn't get under the steps and when we left last Fall, we went down to the local hardware store and got a bag of what they recommended (can't remember the name) and mensaguy poured it all over the back yard after we got the dogs crated and in the car, then got in the car and left for the season. I didn't see any in the back yard this past year but maybe it was bacause all it did was rain all Spring and Summer.

We've got the ants up in Charlotte at the camp. The wifes grandparents brought them up from Eastport. The rain does slow them down. They seem to make up for it with a vengence when it's over.

The people at UMO said to use Amdro, made by ortho, to control them. I've noticed that the ant/wasp spray in the can works very well also. Can't shoot the whole yard though. A touch of gas also kills them. I don't recommend that approach.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,638 times
i live here in (quoddy village) Eastport,and the ants here are outrageous. however,we used some kind of powder,cant remember though,will have too look it up,and we sprinkled it all round thah house and in thah yard. it took care of them...for that year anyway. two days later i went out and there was heaps of them layin all ova thah ground.but the instructions also say to MAKE SURE YAH WATER IT DOWN AFTAH YAH SPRINKLE IT!!..or not only will yah kill thah ants,but anything that eats thah stuff,including cats,dogs,birds,and whatever else eats it..pretty potent stuff,but it works.my son has come in thah house many times screaming in pain because he had gotten pee,d on by a red ant..he always use tah say "daddy i got stung by a red ant" i told him, in actuality its their urine that burns you. he thought i was full of it.lol. i make sure he goes out fully clothed,and never wears sandals,or anything without socks..but as far as thah ants go,i lived here long enough tah put up with them.no red ant will drive us from eastport..we love it here

Old 11-14-2009, 06:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxShadowGhostxX View Post
i live here in (quoddy village) Eastport,and the ants here are outrageous. however,we used some kind of powder,cant remember though,will have too look it up,and we sprinkled it all round thah house and in thah yard. it took care of them...for that year anyway. two days later i went out and there was heaps of them layin all ova thah ground.but the instructions also say to MAKE SURE YAH WATER IT DOWN AFTAH YAH SPRINKLE IT!!..or not only will yah kill thah ants,but anything that eats thah stuff,including cats,dogs,birds,and whatever else eats it..pretty potent stuff,but it works.my son has come in thah house many times screaming in pain because he had gotten pee,d on by a red ant..he always use tah say "daddy i got stung by a red ant" i told him, in actuality its their urine that burns you. he thought i was full of it.lol. i make sure he goes out fully clothed,and never wears sandals,or anything without socks..but as far as thah ants go,i lived here long enough tah put up with them.no red ant will drive us from eastport..we love it here
Nothing will make me leave once I'm up.. not even ants that sting.

Could what you have used be diametaceous(sp?) earth?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Nothing will make me leave once I'm up.. not even ants that sting.

Could what you have used be diametaceous(sp?) earth?
DE only works on soft bodied insects like slugs and catepillars.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
DE only works on soft bodied insects like slugs and catepillars.
There are quite a few garden websites that claim that it will kill some ants while others say all. They come in contact with it or ingest it and dry up. Some claim it's sharp edges cut the ant up. Also they claim white vinager (must be the smell), cinnamon, and black pepper.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
There are quite a few garden websites that claim that it will kill some ants while others say all. They come in contact with it or ingest it and dry up. Some claim it's sharp edges cut the ant up. Also they claim white vinager (must be the smell), cinnamon, and black pepper.
I tried DE around peonies where the ants were getting into our house and they walked right through it. They claim it gets stuck in their joints but from what I saw it didn't avoid it. Perhaps the peonies just kept drawing in new ants but I watched them walk over it with no ill effects. DE rips open soft bodied insects and ground crawlers like slugs but insects with legs seem to do all right around it. Your results may vary. Sevin worked much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine