U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,050,069 times

Advertisements

This land is part of the 400,000 acre conservation set aside from Plum Creek. The AMC will shut it down for motorized use. We have hunted and fished this region forever and now it will be intentionally shut off from all but the hard core LL Bean wearing deadbeats and those lucky few to be affiliated with the conservation insiders.

The AMC has already acquired huge parcels of real estate around the Roach, Shawtown region. The remaining culverts on the roads leading into the area will be pulled up shortly, just as they have right along. They pay NO TAXES on these parcels!

Traditional access is a farce, as no vehicles, wheelers or snowsleds will be allowed, except for their own use of course.

Land purchase connects conservation tracts - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/128881.html - broken link)

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,420,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
This land is part of the 400,000 acre conservation set aside from Plum Creek. The AMC will shut it down for motorized use. We have hunted and fished this region forever and now it will be intentionally shut off from all but the hard core LL Bean wearing deadbeats and those lucky few to be affiliated with the conservation insiders.

The AMC has already acquired huge parcels of real estate around the Roach, Shawtown region. The remaining culverts on the roads leading into the area will be pulled up shortly, just as they have right along. They pay NO TAXES on these parcels!

Traditional access is a farce, as no vehicles, wheelers or snowsleds will be allowed, except for their own use of course.

Land purchase connects conservation tracts - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/128881.html - broken link)

If we don't get rid of this moronic Governor soon there will be nothing left of this state. He is without a doubt the biggest idiot ever elected by the people of Maine. Let's just give the whole state to the conservation nuts and watch as they tear out all of the bridges and roads and close off access to all but a few crunchies who want to walk in to these places. Traditional use should include traditional access, snowmobile access and hunting rights. Those are Maine traditions and should be respected and written in to any land purchase contract by any conservation group. While the commie libs may applaude this move the real Mainers know all too well that traditional access means NO access. It's all B/S and should be stopped....now! Fill Roach pond with piranha!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,121,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post

You can still hunt and fish there right?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,962,159 times
I was in Greenville not too long ago and went up the dirt road past the airport for about three miles when you come to this sign. Directly across the street is a huge pile of dead trees. I didn't go any further because of the sign post. Guess some folks don't like the signs too much.

And a few more pics going back to town after I turned around.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:11 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,505,202 times
I really do not have a dog in this fight. While I do feel sad that large tracts of land may well not be accessible to everyone, there has been plenty of opportunity through the years for people to get actively involved in preservation of land for a whole lot of purposes. Perhaps it is too bad that companies like Plum Creek bought up a whole lot of acreage both here in Maine and in other places, and now find greater use for the land in selling it into conservation. Perhaps it is too bad that conservation minded people and organizations have a different view of the use of the land that they have purchased or been given than the so-called "traditionalists".

But the defining concept here is ownership, and the rights of ownership belong to the owner. There is no guaranteed right for others to use anyone elses land than the owner decides.

And contrary to one comment that was made, this is not part of a "commie" conspiracy. Quite the contrary. This is completely within the heart of good old fashioned American capitalism, and EVERYONE had had an equal opportunity to buy up this land for whatever purpose they wished.

Traditionalists may not like it, but times and civilizations change. I personally think that RESTORE and the Quimbyites should go and restore Boston and a dozen other inner cities. But as long as they chose to spend their money buying up Maine land, I really don't want to see them stopped. If THEY get stopped by some artificial means, it will likely mean that perhaps when I want to buy something, I'll get stopped too, because someone will not like the fact that I part my hair on the left or right or center.

Whatever happened may be right, wrong or otherwise, but it is also OVER. Time to go and try to find some other land to preserve for whatever purpose...hunting, snowmobiling, snowshoeing or WHATEVER: just be prepared to pony up the big bucks because that is the way this country works.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 PM

6,048 posts, read 11,401,771 times
I think this is another example of Maine no longer being a live and let live state. Don't tell me what to do with my land however I'm going to tell you what you're going to do with yours. I don't like that use might be limited but it's not mine to decide.

Quote:
Directly across the street is a huge pile of dead trees.
Piles of brush and logs like this are usually going to be chipped and sent to a mill.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,192,854 times
The timber and paper companies are only selling their land off in ME because the far-left enviro types passed laws (regulations, taxes, etc.) that have made it uneconomical to hold and use timber land in ME. So, they must sell it off to keep profitable, then the same people responsible for them having to sell it off in the first place, set up so many roadblocks to selling it to those they would prefer to sell to (think of the Moosehead Lake debacle), they are essentially cornered into selling it to the enviros, who then lock it up from everyone who had always had access.

You can sit back and allow them to do it, of course, but of course their eventual goal is to force everyone out. Once they have bought enough up they'll likely be trying once more to have it made a National Park by donating or selling at dirt cheap prices to the feds to start the park, then the feds will gobble up everyone else who didn't sell out.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,420,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I think this is another example of Maine no longer being a live and let live state. Don't tell me what to do with my land however I'm going to tell you what you're going to do with yours. I don't like that use might be limited but it's not mine to decide.

Piles of brush and logs like this are usually going to be chipped and sent to a mill.
There are many hundreds of these brush and log piles all over the north country.

The paper companies were fair to all of the people of the state when they owned these tracts. They may have charged a small access fee or a lease fee for a camp but at least the use was open to most everyone. They regulated camp sites to keep the possibility of fire low and kept out 4 wheelers from a lot of areas as those vehicles tend to be destructive.

I'd rather see these tracts under management from large paper companies than nature nuts.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,192,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
You can still hunt and fish there right?
What good is the right to hunt there if you can't access the land and have no practical way of dragging a large animal carcass out either? The feds, with lobbying from the enviro groups, have done the same in VT to our national forest lands: declared many of the best areas as "wilderness" so, while it's legal to hunt there, trap there, etc., it's near impossible to access most of these mountainous areas in the fall, winter, and spring, and not too easy in the summer either. Oh and it shut down logging too costing many jobs.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 PM

6,048 posts, read 11,401,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What good is the right to hunt there if you can't access the land and have no practical way of dragging a large animal carcass out either?
Is this a known fact or speculation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or