U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 AM

70 posts, read 132,064 times

Advertisements

Looking for some place between Damariscotta and Rockland to board Skippy, our black lab, just for the day so I can attend a conference. ANyone know of any?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM

4,111 posts, read 12,835,040 times
It might be better to find someone who could come and take him for a walk. Another thought, try your vet, sometimes the vet techs dogsit on the side for a little extra $$, that way you'd know he'd be in good hands etc.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,643,655 times
dog boarding??? is that any thing like snow boarding?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:38 AM

783 posts, read 1,302,203 times
Default woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGirl2001 View Post
Looking for some place between Damariscotta and Rockland to board Skippy, our black lab, just for the day so I can attend a conference. ANyone know of any?
Hi - if it's a Monday, I would love to be Skippy's gal for the day. DM me if you'd like. Otherwise, Stillwater Farm in Hope; a little beyond your Damariscotta-Rock Land range, but I've heard it's a good place.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,051,201 times
There is a place in Union on route 17 headed towards Washington, but the owners are a little whacky. The kind of people that get all ga-ga over your dog in your presence, but are not so nice to the animals when you leave. But that is just my experience, maybe they have found the error of their ways now ???

In Northport there is a dog boarding place right on Route 1 but I have never used them.

I go to a place in Knox which is where I will take my dogs for my vacation to Ireland. They might be far away for you, but for what it is worth, I would leave my 3 year old daughter with them, not to mention my dogs! They don't just board your dogs, they actually take them outside and play with them everyday. And if the owner has the time, he will actually work with them a little bit, like once he did some retrieval exercises with my black lab (a house dog) just to see what she had in her for instincts.

There is also an ad for a "dog sitter" in the Belfast Yellow Pages you might try.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,365,944 times
Mainely-Dogs, Perry Greene Kennels & Outfitters in Waldoboro might work. I haven't boarded my dogs there, but I did talk to the owner a while back and he seemed very nice...

Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 PM

70 posts, read 132,064 times
Thanks for all your suggestions and offer to baby sit Skippy (but it's Tuesday I need a sitter, not Monday).

Safe Harbor in Bremen ended up being my second choice. They are primarily a Chesapeake Bay Retriever rescue facility, but they also board dogs. The owner, Jane, never bothered to come out of her house to see me, even though her son told her I was there. There was a very nice woman working there, Chris, who did take the time to talk with me and show me around. The individual kennels were small, with a doggy door to a small private outside run. It appeared to be clean. It would be ok for a day, but I wouldn't want to leave me dog for an extended period since there really wasn't an area where they could really run. $15/day.

On my rounds I did stop in to see a vet that has been highly recommended (Medomak Veterinary Services in Waldoboro) and they gave me a few recommendations. Also, stopped in The Animal House in Damariscotta (GREAT dog/cat store), and they HIGHLY recommended the Meadowbrook Kennel in Nobleboro (which was also highly recommended by the vet).

Talked to the owner on the phone yesterday and went to see the kennel this morning with Skippy (upon the suggestion of the owner). Spent 2 hours there!!!!! It's a beautiful, private property. Small facility....I think she takes 6 dogs at most. The "rooms" are huge.....the kennel is a converted horse barn.....and each room contains sofas and chairs for the dogs to lounge on. But what impressed me the most was the 1/2 acre, fenced in play area. It's pricey, $25, but for a day here and there it's ok.

For future, longer term boarding I plan to check out Stillwater Farm which looks good, at least on the internet. What is the name of the place in Knox Brokentap?

Last edited by 7th generation; 11-16-2009 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: removed libel content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine