U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times

Advertisements

Please read what I wrote--non-residents are NOT entitled to emergency benefits at this time. You need another plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:50 AM

8 posts, read 25,222 times
thank you for your thoughts to MollySmiles and JC3

I would absolutley stay here and go through my immigration proceedings in order to live here with health care
as you both said it would be much easier than moving to maine to have nothing
and i agree completely

the hard part about marrying in canada and for me to become a permanent resident here is my fiance has to sponsor me and he does not fit the requirements in order to do so
he must make over 40,000 a year because thats what the stupid Canadian government says tells us is necessary to support a family of 4
which he does not make
no other way around it as he is the only person who would be eligible to sponsor me
i do not have to sponsor him to come the the US
that is what makes the immigration process easier

and yes the heath care is free here, but it sucks, id rather move back to the US and pay for heath care thats good and have good doctors. ive never experienced such bad heath care and doctors in my life for me and my daughter.

i would have a place to stay with a relative for a month or so to get all of my things in order to get benefits and somewhere to live
and then send for my fiance and daughter to come down once they had a place to come to

i am going to call the department of heath and human services as soon as they open (hence why its 6am and im still responding to your posts)
so that i may talk to them and see what they have to tell me

i do thank you all who have cared to give me advice about what i can and should do, other than those who have been rude and heartless

Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
One point being made is your ability to find employment is less than desireable at this time. You say temporary, in most cases it turns into long term due to lack of employment opportunities.

Mollysmiles point is valid, you'd stand to do much better by staying in Canada.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 AM

566 posts, read 1,255,782 times
You want to move to Maine and get the benefits you are entitled to? You are entitled to come to Maine and get a job. You are entitled to come to Maine and rent an apartment or buy a home. The fact that you are pregnant does not entitle you to anymore than anyone else. What makes you think you should move here to get free benefits? You live in Canada and suddenly they won't cover your healthcare. Do you have any idea how many residents in the state of Maine have no healthcare?? I know people that work more than one job and still can not afford health insurance. No, you are not "entitled" to come here or any other state just to get healthcare and housing.

You may be pregnant and have a child and a fiance, I am sure there are circumstances that have put you in this situation. There is not going to be one single poster on this forum that wants a pregnant women not to have healthcare or that wants any child or adult to go without healthcare. That being said, we need to take care of our own first. We can simply not afford to have people moving to this state for the insurance and housing. If we could afford that don't you think we would insure the residents that already live here that do not have benefits? If we could afford that don't you think we would provide housing for all of the homeless people we see?

Posters are not being rude nor are they being heartless. They are simply trying to tell you that we can not afford to have this going on!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 AM

i would do much better here, yes
but it is not an option for me to stay here
trust me i wish it was
and that i didnt have to go through all of this and move somewhere to have nothing
if it wasn't for the emergency that it is and in the small time frame that i have
i would totally go about the move in a different way and i would make sure we had jobs lined up
unfortunately time is not on my side
because of the fact that i am pregnant with my second child and need prenatal care immediately
is why i am looking for such help
and i have been looking on the maine job seeker website to get options of jobs that are available for when we do get there
so that it does insure that the help is only temporarily

i wish i was not in the situation that i am in
trust me lol
because it would be much easier not to have to figure all of this out

Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
But you DID read that you won't be eligible for ANY benefits for a long time right?

As well, because you've seen a few jobs listed, pls understand with the few jobs YOU see listed, there are several hundred other applicants applying for those very limited positions.

Best of luck.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
What about a women's shelter? They'll help you get the medical care you need. You'd have a safe place to live while you get on your feet.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 AM

To Juststoppinby
Thank you for being upfront with me but wording it in a way that it is not rude

i just dont like when people post and make it sound like i am dirt and i am lesser of an american citizen and human and mother
because i am looking for temporary help from welfare
when im sure they would not act like that towards a family member who needed it
or use it themselves if they were in the same complicated situation

i dont believe its right to look down on people looking for help from governement services
thats what they are there for
yes it may cost money from working americans
but i also believe it is our obligation as americans to help our own people and be understading of others circumstances instead of looking down upon them only if your are in a financial situation to do so
i believe that only people who are a little more well off than others should have money taken from them to help support other familys
not low income working people who get money taken from them that they cannot aford to lose in order to support their own families

i do also believe unless someone is disabled and not able to work under some serious condition
there should be a time limit that people are allowed to receive government services

as i said before i do 100% plan on working and finding a job as soon as i get set up
i only need the assistance from the government to GET set up with a place and some food until i start work

i dont plan on being some welfare bum
i would also like to contribute to the community just like ever other working american does
i just dont want to be looked down upon for asking for the help that i need until i get to that point

Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
A person with limited income is basically eligible for 4 useful services (and a lot of not-so-useful services) from the Maine Department of Human Services:

Food Stamps: You, as a single applicant with NO income, would be eligible for roughly $155/mo in food stamps. This is the only benefit that they can put a priority status on, and if you qualify, they can have those food stamps to you in 3-4 days.

TANF (cash benefit): You would be eligible for roughly $170, once your baby is born, but be aware that the State of Maine will want their money back from the "absentee" parent, and if this debt is created, it might prevent him from being allowed to move here until it is repaid. Maine's TANF benefit is the lowest of all the New England states, and lower than the national average. It can take up to 30 days (and maybe a few weeks more) to recieve TANF benefits from when you first apply.

MaineCare- You would be eligible for benefits if you are approved for the other services.

Housing/HUD/Section-8. You would be eligible for Section-8 housing, either through a section-8 approved housing complex, or through a Housing Choice Voucher. You may get some kind of priority status if you are living in a homeless shelter, but not if you secured housing with relatives (in that case, you are not considered to be homeless). It is easier (quicker) to get into a section-8 complex, but you still have to find one that has open units and no waiting list (and realize that in Maine today, many people are staying in these units longer and longer because they cannot afford to move), and as far as I know, you would not be allowed to move in additional people (your boyfriend and other child) once the housing contract was signed (by the rules of Section-8, and likely the housing complex itself as well)- you would then have to reapply and list him as an additional applicant as well as applying with the housing complex to add him to the lease).

There is also the Housing Choice Voucher, which allows more flexibility in where you live, but you would also be put on a waiting list for an available slot. I do not know how long the current wait time is, but I have never heard of it being less than 6 months, and sometimes (when the economy is slow, and there are more applicants) the wait time has been 12-18 months.

And WIC, which will give you food vouchers worth about $25/mo for specific food items items (eggs, cereal, milk, juice, and peanut better), and your child would also be eligible for the program as well.

If you need to move here in a state of emergency, you really should be looking at homeless shelters, churches and food pantries for help, neither of which are governed by a state agency.

So there you go- Even if you can get in to a section-8 apartment ASAP, you will only have roughly $160/mo to spend on food, and $170/mo to spend on everything else you might need (including phone, transportation, electricity, toilet paper, etc).

Just curious- if you are here alone with a newborn, who is going to care for the baby when you get a job?

Last edited by deerislesmile; 11-12-2009 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: noticed inaccurate numbers

Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,182 times
I think you touched a nerve here in your original post. Situation, no health care in Canada, your boyfriend doesn't make enough money to sponsor you, so you can't get married. That sounds like the Canadian government is trying to turf you to the US. So in your post, you use the word "entitled" and that really hits a nerve. So, you now want to move to the US for healthcare, I understand the need to make sure your baby is healthy. But, you not only move here for healthcare, but your boyfriend who is not an American citizen is going to try and get a job. Jobs are scarce in Maine, and bringing someone in to the US in times of job scarcity doesn't set well with people either. Maine needs the jobs for its own. If your boyfriend doesn't meet the Canadian requirements, as in a job that will support your family, why would you think he would make enough money in Maine to take care of you? People read that in between the lines and it looks like you would be on long term assistance.

You didn't mention if Maine was your home state. The posters might feel a little different if you were coming home to family in Maine. We are left with the distinct impression you just want to take advantage of the wellfare system in Maine.

We're not cold and cruel, in fact the people who are posting on this thread are some of the warmest, wonderful people I have ever had the privilege of meeting. If they tell you that you are not eligible for assistance, I would certainly listen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or