U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,815,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'm going to have to remember not to check this thread again until after Christmas. A regular item on my Christmas wish list is the latest Stephen King book (novel or short stories), and neither St. Nick nor Stephen King has let me down yet!

The less I know about the book prior to reading it, the better.

(Re: Pat's Pizza - there's a Pat's Pizza in Lincoln that was recommended to us by the owner of the house we rented this summer on Caribou Pond. It was great - one of the best veggie pizzas we've ever had. I didn't realize until after we got home that Pat's is a chain.)
The Pat's in Lincoln is the only place around that I like for pizza!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM

4,112 posts, read 5,727,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I always look forward to getting my hands on a new King book.
Preach it sister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
He and Tabitha used to come into the original Pat's Pizza in Orono around 9:30 at night. He would say to Pat, "Has IT come out from under the porch lately?"

Pat would say, "Now don't go scaring the customers."

The "porch" was the loading dock out back and a dark and gloomy place at night.
I would have never gone out to the loading dock after that comment. I love his stories, but sometimes they make the unreal seem so plausible. That i think I'll play it safe.

My Dad sends a wally world gift card for Christmas.. I know what I'm getting with mine. Off to check out Calliecat's video.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,148,283 times
Well just finished "The Dome" and thought I would give my impressions on the novel as a whole. I will not be giving any spoilers either .

While Stephen King will probably not be grouped with authors like Leo Tolstoy, Geoffrey Chaucer, James Fenimore Cooper, Nathaniel Hawthorne or Henry David Thoreau; he has written a well thought out and very good novel with "The Dome". While it is a bit transparent in that you can foresee the outcome and the general path the story will take, it is still hard to put down for very long after the first few chapters. The character development is the best so far of any of his books with the list of "players" quite long and for the most part very believable. There are a few surprises along the way from Chapter one to the end of Page 1072, but for the most part it is a very well written story that really isn't intended, I believe, to be very perplexing. What it does, is make you look at the big picture and try to place yourself in the shoes of someone who is in the story. How would you do? What would you do? What would you do differently? even, How would YOUR town/township react if the same happened to it?

Stephen King has come a LONG way from "Carrie" to "the Dome" and personally I think this novel is the best I have read from him. It is a story line that is unusual (Who would have thunk coming from Mr. King right ), but still works well to make you ask yourself some questions about how you would treat others, and even how you HAVE treated others in the past. Is it enough to make you think and ponder about how you will treat others in the future? Maybe not, but who knows. I do know that I like this Stephen King better than the one, who for years tried to scare the Be-jezuz out of me with his stories. It still has the "King" feel to it somewhat, but he has replaced most of the graphic descriptive horror, with true suspense and a deeper horror, that of the mind and how everyone just may have a glimmer of bad in their make-up. Even the main good characters have their flaws, their secrets, and their closet full of skeletons. Of course the bad characters are borderline evil and in a few cases all the way into the evil encampment, but they are not TOTALLY evil. The story shows that even the worst of the bunch still has a human and caring side.

Overall - Well written, good storyline, good plot, well developed characters, and very worth the time to read.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,365,944 times
I started reading Under the Dome last week, and have about 100 pages to go. (Got sidetracked with John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things. Loved it too!) I highly recommend it! IMHO, it's one of his best books. It starts out strong and doesn't let up. Love it!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 PM

227 posts, read 355,914 times
My DH bought the book for me nearly 2 weeks ago. I'm looking forward to reading it but set it aside for now, which wasn't easy. But once I start reading it, or even peek inside the cover, I know I won't do ANYTHING else.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,727,110 times
MY DH bought it for my birthday on the 16th and I finished it last Sunday.. awesome read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or