U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM

474 posts, read 821,762 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I might find an old map of the closed Loring Airbase ? Not from the 40s or 50s but say the 70s or 80s ? I do alittle metal detecting and would like to know how the schools were oriented before they were torn down. I know where two of the buildings were at the west side of the base, but would like to get a general idea how the buildings were situated and where the playgrounds were in relation to the buildings. I've tried Google searches but don't find anything on any kind of maps of the base. There's alot of info on the base but very little on map type info.

Thanks In Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:12 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,104,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Does anyone know where I might find an old map of the closed Loring Airbase ? Not from the 40s or 50s but say the 70s or 80s ? I do alittle metal detecting and would like to know how the schools were oriented before they were torn down. I know where two of the buildings were at the west side of the base, but would like to get a general idea how the buildings were situated and where the playgrounds were in relation to the buildings. I've tried Google searches but don't find anything on any kind of maps of the base. There's alot of info on the base but very little on map type info.

Thanks In Advance
They're probably still classified. Loring was a nuclear weapons base and being such all the maps were undoubtedly classified. You can probably get one from Russia! Lol

Last edited by Maineah; 11-12-2009 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 AM

534 posts, read 670,395 times
Loring Air Force Base, Maine - A collection of "Loring Legends" and Snipits.
Welcome to Loring Air Force Base.com

might help....

Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 AM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
The Maine School of Science and Mathematics is there now and they might take a dim view of somebody digging up their property while students are there. It is a boarding school and students from all over the state are there 7 days a week.

As a side note, when Dave DeLorme wanted to buy satellite photos of Maine our government would not sell them because Loring, Brunswick and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard were shown in great detail. Dave just bought them from the French government. Their detail is better and the price was better.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,513,743 times
I know where the Damon school was.
Correction: MSSM is not on Loring. It is in the town of Limestone itself.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 AM

Thanks Christine, the first link gave me exactly what I was looking for I'm currently living right across the street where the elementary school was wich is just an open field now. The map I found will give me an idea where the boundaries of the building was si I have better gauge of where to detect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man
The Maine School of Science and Mathematics is there now and they might take a dim view of somebody digging up their property while students are there.
Thnks NMLM, I wont be detecting there, just the empty lots where the old schools were torn down because of asbestos.

Thanks Maineah

Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,404,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The Maine School of Science and Mathematics is there now and they might take a dim view of somebody digging up their property while students are there. It is a boarding school and students from all over the state are there 7 days a week.

As a side note, when Dave DeLorme wanted to buy satellite photos of Maine our government would not sell them because Loring, Brunswick and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard were shown in great detail. Dave just bought them from the French government. Their detail is better and the price was better.
That's a great story about DeLorme. He ws a genius when it came to getting around bureaucracies. IIRC the paper companies were initially reluctant to give hm the maps of the logging roads in the North Woods. He got around them by buying satellite imagery from a private company.

BTW: Maine School of Science and Math is located in Limestone village, not at the base.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:00 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,104,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
That's a great story about DeLorme. He ws a genius when it came to getting around bureaucracies. IIRC the paper companies were initially reluctant to give hm the maps of the logging roads in the North Woods. He got around them by buying satellite imagery from a private company.

BTW: Maine School of Science and Math is located in Limestone village, not at the base.
David is a nice guy and a personal friend of mine. I can vouch for his genius. He is also very generous to his family with his good fortune.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM

534 posts, read 670,395 times
Your very welcome....glad i could help

Old 11-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks again for the info everyone

I detected for an hour or so today. All I can say is they didn't clean the Roawell crash sight as well as they cleaned this one. Only had 3 hits and they all were pieces of junk. One was a foil wrapper, another looked like some sort of clip and the third was a pull tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or