Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times

Advertisements

Wow guys, so much better than wikipedia glad I asked.

Now that I pronounce it out loud I get it.

"cajun" is just a variance of dropping off the A of Acadian, which leave "cadian" and pronounced quickly as "cajun"

I had really known nothing of the relationship between the two but cajun came to mind originally because I dont know of any other white kinda funky subculture other than the cajuns. I thought it was comparable but didnt know it was actually one in the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
During...and actually before the Revolutionary war (in 1755), the British were actually quite ruthless. British Major Charles Lawrence (gulf of St Lawrence named after him) oversaw the expulsion of those of French Heritage from the area.They actually practiced ethnic cleansing. There was a strong French population living in Northern Maine as well as what is now Quebec and New Brunswick. Basically the British attempted to obliterate the French from the area. Some settled in what is now Nova Scotia, some migrated to the south and are the roots of Cajuns...some stayed in Northern Maine, Quebec and New Brunswick. Do some research on the British attempt to remove the French from this area and you will be amazed at the ruthlessness.
You also have to remember that Britain was generally at war with France, Spain and a few others. The Brits did not hold a monopoly on being mean and evil. There is still some ill will between the British and French.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
During...and actually before the Revolutionary war (in 1755), the British were actually quite ruthless. British Major Charles Lawrence (gulf of St Lawrence named after him) oversaw the expulsion of those of French Heritage from the area.They actually practiced ethnic cleansing.
Kelly, that's a good one -- Gulf of St. Lawrence named after a British (and presumably Anglican) Army major. As I'm sure you know, the French explorer Champlain named it and the river after Saint Lawrence, one of the patron saints of Rome and also the patron saint of comedians, butchers, and cooks because of the manner of his martydom. (He's the saint who was grilled to death and at one point told his torturers, "Turn me over. This side is done."

Lawrence of Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Before, during and after the revolutionary war, the British were in control of Montreal and paid the Indians $5 per scalp or live body.
They would force the settlers to carry provisions on the march to Montreal,
(270 miles from here), and once a pack was emptied, they'd kill and scalp the person and continue on.
Nathaniel Segar, who settled my town early, was captured and taken to Canada. His house is two doors down from mine.
Tidbits of History - Oxford County

Old 11-15-2009, 03:51 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Is an Acadian just a person who lives in a certain region? Or is it more like a term used to describe some type of culture that originally settled the area, similar to Cajuns/Creoles in Lousiana?

If it is culturually based. Where did they come from to settle Maine and what kind of music and food is associated with it?
An Acadian is a person who is of French descent living in the Atlantic region consisting of Maine(USA), and New Brunswick(Canada), also known as Acadia, or Acadie in French. They are the descendants of French settlers who arrived in Canada and the USA during a war with the British. The British gave the French settlers an ultimatum, either swear to the British crown or leave. Many of the settlers were kicked out the region and many settled in the swamps of Louisiana, and the name was mispronounced to "Cajun".

Time and place have shaped both people. Food is one thing to think about. You have fricot, a chicken stew in Acadia. In Louisiana, there is a variant on this, gumbo, taken from African, and Native American influences. In fact, the Cajun cuisine has more spice in it, derived from the peppers in Louisiana.
Music is different too. Acadian music in Canada and Cajun music in Louisiana both have use of the violin. Influences in Cajun music come from the other cultural influences. The accordion was borrowed from the Germans. There is also from Louisiana Creole influence in there too.

Last edited by green_mariner; 11-15-2009 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
We have a wonderful culture of Acadians here in Louisiana. They are more prominent in South Louisiana. The food, culture and way of life is relaxing. The "cajuns" as a whole are more tolerate than other cultures. Many years ago - here in Louisiana - the French Acadians were punished for using French. However, that has changed and in Lafayette - can't speak for the other parishes - they teach French in schools.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM

139 posts, read 362,745 times
I am Acadian and would like to share two excellent places for you to visit if you are ever interested in our culture.

Here you go! Our family visits both places every year. The St. John Valley was recently chosen to host the 2014 Acadian Congress. It will be an awesome event and plan on eating lots of great foods! I hope to see some of you guys and gals here in the Valley at that time! Let's celebrate together, even if you are not "Acadian"!

Acadian Village - Homepage - Van Buren, Maine

Kings Landing Historical Settlement

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Living View Post
I am Acadian and would like to share two excellent places for you to visit if you are ever interested in our culture.

Here you go! Our family visits both places every year. The St. John Valley was recently chosen to host the 2014 Acadian Congress. It will be an awesome event and plan on eating lots of great foods! I hope to see some of you guys and gals here in the Valley at that time! Let's celebrate together, even if you are not "Acadian"!

Acadian Village - Homepage - Van Buren, Maine

Kings Landing Historical Settlement

Let me know what you guys think.
Interesting stuff.

I read a National Geographic about the Madawaska region of Maine. I found it quite interesting. One of the reasons is that I took French in high school and have retained most of it. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, the Madawaska reigon, among other places, has a certain allure to it.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
The Brits really were bast*#rds to the conquered Acadians. I know that they weren't the only people who did bad stuff, but it really was a savage part of Brit history.
Interestingly, some who left Acadia during the Grand Derangement went back to France after generations of being away. They settled in enclaves in western France.
Some took off into the woods and headed for the wilderness of northwest New Brunswick. They settled a little pocket in the wilderness, which came to be known as Madawaska. Madawaska was neither Candadian (English) nor American. It was its own place, on both sides of the St. John River. These people did not let the Brits destroy them or their culture. They went and hid lol......(including my ancestors).
The Acadian Congress in 2014 will be huge, with folks coming to the Madawaska region from all over the world. They just had the 2009 one in northeastern NB.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Glad you enjoyed it all. I remember a car mechanic when I was staioned in La. He spoke that type of French but usually only when he broke a knuckle or something like that. Then a big pull of the jug in the back. C'mon up to Maine.for a vacation Heckuva lot cooler in the summer than Ole Miss. Plus they speak French up in Aroostook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine