U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Welcome, nea. Keep us posted on the job and the move!
Thank you!! I am so excited to get out to the New England area!! Maine is my first choice, so we will see how this job goes. I love Denver but when I visit NE I just feel at home.
I will keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Thank you!! I am so excited to get out to the New England area!! Maine is my first choice, so we will see how this job goes. I love Denver but when I visit NE I just feel at home.
I will keep you posted.
You know what they say, Home is where the heart is!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
Maine is bigger than the other five New England states combined. It is as varied as the country between Burlington Vermont and Point Judith, RI. Our population is about 1.3 million and we are the oldest state. We passed Florida as the oldest state about three years ago. All that variety means you can find what you want in Maine.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
There are no cities in Maine. We have a few large towns, but at 60,000 people for Portland (the largest "city" in Maine)You will not find what you consider to be a city anywhere in Maine.
It is also the principal city of the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford metropolitan area, with a population of 513,100. (wiki)

Why wouldn't you consider Portland to be a city, Maineah?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,182 times
I would have to agree with Maineah. If the population of the town of Portland is 60,000, but the metro area is over 500 thousand, then there is a lot of duplication of everything. That means that you find the same things over and over in each town, but not many big city things. I will readily admit, I am not familiar with Portland, but I don't get the feeling that it is a BIG CITY, and I have been there several times. Nearest city to Bangor over 1 million is Boston. But then I would prefer Portland not to be considered a BIG CITY, but rather a nice size town. By the way, Bangor has everything I need, of course 90% of what I need can be bought in a Walmart, or a mom/pop store if Walmart isn't available. The rest I can get online.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:18 PM

HUMMM....the Portland website says only 230,000 for the metro area....do you trust wiki or the Portland website??? Huge difference!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
It is also the principal city of the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford metropolitan area, with a population of 513,100. (wiki)

Why wouldn't you consider Portland to be a city, Maineah?
By Maine's standards I guess Portland, L/A, Augusta and Bangor would have to be considered cities. IMO, they are also considered big towns.
They are easy to navigate your way around w/o getting lost!

Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
I live in Bangor - quite close to town in one of the older neighborhoods. Our house was built in 1917. We have been here for decades as transplants from Massachusetts and we have never wanted to move back there. Bangor has everything you might want in a community and if you want a day or 2 in a larger city Boston is just a little more than 4 hours drive away. A "real" beach is about an hour a way in Mt. Desert Island but we like to got down to Searsport to the Bay or even a bit further to Lincolnville. That is in the opposite direction from Bar Harbor.

For a city the size of Bangor - about 30,000 we have an incredible amount of restaurants and many of them are NOT chains.

As a previous poster mentioned the Children's Museum, and 8 miles away there is the Collins Center for the Arts on the University Campus, which brings in top notch entertainment and concerts. UMO also has a good hockey team as well as football and basketball as spectator sports. Of course there are the women's team for basketball etc.

I hope you will visit Bangor and see what is here. I think you would prefer it to Boston as a place to live.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
:
Well, those numbers are deceiving. That 513,000 isn't part of an urban area; in fact it includes some suburban and mostly rural land. That "metro area" extends from Kittery to Brunswick and that population is the sum of all of those towns in between. For such a large area covered, that's a really low populations (with a low population density). It's also a combination of of a few, smaller metro areas. It's incredibly misleading. The reason someone put it on wikipedia is most likely because they wanted it to appear larger than it is (keep in mind, anyone can edit wikipedia... I can change Sylvester Stallone's info to say that he was the 45th Roman Catholic Pope if I want). Portland's a tiny city and doesn't feel CLOSE to a city of 513,000.

Providince, RI has similarly deceiving numbers... it's "metro" area includes New Bedford and Fall River MA (both cities of over 90,000 people) because they're not too far away. The end result is a metro area of 1.6 Million people... more than the entire state of Rhode Island. Providence is much closer to a metro of about 1 Million. I've seen metro numbers for Boston that range from 4 Million to 8 Million people... it depends on what the source (generally different Census numbers) is using as a definition for a "metro area". Not all areas are equal and no standard of defining a metro can be universally applied. I can tell you that as a Boston residents (and someone who's spent the bulk of their life here) Boston is much closer to the 4 Million number than it is to the 8 Million number. "Metro Areas" can be a helpful tool for determining city size, but they're misleading when you're talking about smaller cities, ESPECIALLY smaller cities in rural areas. Portland more closely resembles a city of 63,000 than it does one of 513,000 as it's "urban" area really (with exception of a small section of South Portland) doesn't extend far beyond the city limits. In fact, even inside the city limits you're looking at a town that's mostly suburban and in areas, borderline rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
HUMMM....the Portland website says only 230,000 for the metro area....do you trust wiki or the Portland website??? Huge difference!
That's much more accurate as it it's the summary of the entire area around Portland. Portland is the principal "city" of an immediate metro area of about 230,000. It's also the principal city of the entire state. However, Portland and it's surrounding suburbs REALLY only amount to 230,000 people which is pretty small. I know the perception locally is that it's much bigger and that's because it has to act larger in a way (as the principal city) but to most people coming from most of the country, Portland is little more than a mid-size town (keep in mind, only THREE states don't have at least one city larger than Portland... Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming). A lot of it is perception, but Portland really is very small.

Last edited by lrfox; 11-22-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 AM

Agree with Newdaawn. From Eastport it is only a two + hour drive, and you can get just about anything you want in Bangor. Good hospitals, small but efficient airport, and a sense of community. The riverwalk area is wonderful, and the restaurants (not chains) are great. If you can't find it in Bangor, you can always order it online. In a word, it is a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or