U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM

925 posts, read 1,921,018 times

Advertisements

Did you hear the one about the intoxicated trucker who missed his exit by 50 miles, then crashed his truck into a ledge outcrop? How would you like to have met him on the road with his HAZMAT load of chemicals?

Chemical spill in truck crash shuts highway - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/129788.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,391,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Did you hear the one about the intoxicated trucker who missed his exit by 50 miles, then crashed his truck into a ledge outcrop? How would you like to have met him on the road with his HAZMAT load of chemicals?

Chemical spill in truck crash shuts highway - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/129788.html - broken link)

Well, given the number of trucks on the road at any given time, I think things like this are few and far between - thankfully. I think that I concern myself more with the speeders who are texting at the same time.

Let's hope they throw the book at this one.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,714,948 times
there are an estimated 3.5 million truck drivers in America not counting Canadian and Mexican drivers.
not all of them are saints like me.
but the majority of all drivers are safe.this industry has its holes as does every industry.
but truck drivers have been rated as some of the most responsible drivers in the US.
this guy slipped through the cracks.dont panic id be more worried about the dude in the SUV.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,714,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post

dont panic its all right im only drunk on the weekends.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 PM

566 posts, read 1,277,341 times
Ranger..well said.
I work for a trucking company and I know how dangerous it can be out there..but I think more times it is dangerous for the truck driver than it is for the passenger vehicles. Yes, sometimes you hear stories about drivers drinking and getting into accidents or breaking other laws. However in my experience we hear more often than not how cars expect a truck to stop on a dime or cars trying to turn quickly in front of a truck or pull out in front of them. One night recently while I was on call for maintenance, one of our drivers called me in the middle of the night. He was in another state. A car had been sitting on the side of the road and suddenly pulled into traffice in front of our driver. There was no way for our driver to stop in time. He hit the car. Thankfully, although the driver of the car was hospitalized he is now okay. The driver of the car was issued a citation. Unfortunately after over $20,000 worth of damage to our truck....the driver of the car had no insurance. We were told by the police officer that responded to the accident that our driver did an amazing job not to have involved any other vehicles, not to have lost any of his load and not to have lost control of his own truck.
There will always be bad seeds weather in trucks or passenger vehicles. I hope they throw the book at the guy that was drunk driving the truck the OP mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine