U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM

3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times

Advertisements

Most of the private windmills I have seen, don't work much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 PM

357 posts, read 848,811 times
bring them to Maine, may be it will help to reduce the utility cost a bit. Too bad we have buy from other country, we must be so far behind in the nuclear technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Never mind those huge bird killing, noisy wind turbines. Now this is the way to go
Backyard reactors? Firms shrink the nukes. | csmonitor.com

Pocket nuclear power plants.

bill

Old 11-18-2009, 05:03 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
Let me start by saying:

I moved to CA in 1980 when they were just starting with the wind farm at Altamont Pass near where my sister now lives. I took a few pics last year when I visited. They went up real fast and silicon valley was a robust source of capital for these early green entrepreneurial businesses.

I remember the bird strike, noise, environmental and economics complaints. It did not stop the progress of wind farms in CA. There are about 13,000 now in three areas including Altamont Pass (east of San Francisco), Tehachapi (south east of Bakersfield) and San Gorgonio (near Palm Springs, east of Los Angeles). In 1995, these areas produced 30 percent of the entire world's wind-generated electricity. And in 2004, about 1.5% of the state's total electricity. That's more than enough to light a city the size of San Francisco. These 3 areas still generate about 95% of CA's wind energy.

Whenever I go through the Altamont Pass, I see about half moving. There are quite a few different models and sizes. Some are huge. There are some cattle farms intertwined throughout the area where they use the land for grazing.

I have always been perplexed at the size and scope of these farms. I still can't tell you if they are worth it. Or if they are noisey or a good or bad investment. They are just there. For better or for worse. And there is no shortage of wind or politicians with wind.

I know that it is almost immpossible to compare these two states but one thing is for sure, where there is wind, there be wind power.

Here are just a few in a very small area:

I still get no respect

Old 11-18-2009, 05:13 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Yes those are very pretty. I say we make the whole of Maine look like that. That's why people come to Maine anyway they only come to shop in Freeport and go to the beach they never really go inland so lets surround Moosehead lake with wind turbines. They sure are pretty!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:13 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Never mind those huge bird killing, noisy wind turbines. Now this is the way to go
Backyard reactors? Firms shrink the nukes. | csmonitor.com

Pocket nuclear power plants.

bill

Good article. It's amazing the technology that comes out. Not sure I'd want to be sitting around one tho.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Good article. It's amazing the technology that comes out. Not sure I'd want to be sitting around one tho.
It may be useful to sit on one if you had prostate cancer!! Cheap power and home radiation therapy to boot. More ways to save on health care!

Last edited by Maineah; 11-18-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes those are very pretty. I say we make the whole of Maine look like that. That's why people come to Maine anyway they only come to shop in Freeport and go to the beach they never really go inland so lets surround Moosehead lake with wind turbines. They sure are pretty!

My pictures aren't that good. I didn't do them justice. The areas I've photographed are very green in the rainy season. Actually, most turbines are located on rolling hills with farms and beautiful scenery all around with nice views. And they are away from the population centers.

Just think, Maine with 13,000 turbines. I hear that Freeport gets more wind than anywhere else in Maine. Must be all that hot air.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post

My pictures aren't that good. I didn't do them justice. The areas I've photographed are very green in the rainy season. Actually, most turbines are located on rolling hills with farms and beautiful scenery all around with nice views. And they are away from the population centers.

Just think, Maine with 13,000 turbines. I hear that Freeport gets more wind than anywhere else in Maine. Must be all that hot air.
Hey... I resemble that remark.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:22 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
I recently heard that UMO got a very large grant - not sure if it was public, I think it may have been private - to develop a plan for off-shore windmills for Maine.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
What the state should really do--providing these windmills are practical energy generators--is put them all in one place, away from the coast and away from the more inhabited or more visited areas.

Doing otherwise, as they are doing, a few here, a few over there--will result in spoiling the scenery in too many parts of the state.

So I say find a thousand or two empty acres far away from people, and stick all the damn things there and be done with it.

Should make erecting and maintaining them easier too, by putting them all in one spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine