Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:54 PM

356 posts, read 703,140 times

Advertisements

Did anyone read this in yesterday's Press-Herald? (Clever headline, by the way.)

Turbine setbacks leave towns twisting in the wind (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=297526&ac=PHnws - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
I find it unfortunate when wind power is marketed under a singular technology thereby committing all to the same flaws when there are a number of other methods to harvest energy from the wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLa_NY5U1nk
MICRO WIND TURBINES: Small Size, Big Impact | Inhabitat (http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/03/21/micro-wind-turbines-small-size-big-impact/ - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0v-CK63-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNudnI5tzf8

And there has been improvements in turbine design to minimize bird strikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtgBWNKwBkE

Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 PM

216 posts, read 645,474 times
Might want to watch this and part two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtGijb_oNeQ

Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
As you probably figured by my earlier posts, I am a big fan of investment in renewable energy sources. Maine has so many options in this theater, wind, water (both tidal and surface running), wood, and solar. I have been informed of the real problem with the ambient noise and vibration from the turbines in current usage. Now my suspicions are being peaked by the actions of the power brokers to invest megamillions in just a few technology contracts and ram them down the public's throat without adequate feasibility study from every aspect.
Hindsight tells us that the common good generally outweighs the few when it comes to infrastructure, think telegraph, electricity, rail freight, highways. But one would think that our current knowledge base and rapidly improving technologies would keep us from repeating old lessons about public vs. private rights and the general good. I hope we can hash this one out folks. Properly done, with our wealth of natural resources, I can envision Maine citizens enjoying a fresh influx of business and more affordable utilities while still conserving our natural lands as a result of our well though out investments. Water runs, trees grow, wind blows, and sun shines every day.

I hope we use them wisely.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
This is a good argument for Nukes and Hydro.

All the way, Big A!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
That windmill noise would drive me nuts. I would have to move. I'd sell the house at a loss if I had to.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
That windmill noise would drive me nuts. I would have to move. I'd sell the house at a loss if I had to.
And I still wouldn't buy it.

Even without the noise, those windmills are eyesores.

What I don't understand, is that tourism is a big part of Vinylhaven's economy.

Why would Vinylhaven want to hurt their tourism industry with noisy and ugly windmills?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
Default sigh...random, emotional thoughts on VH's windmills

I don't live on the island. My only experience with the windmills is from across the bay. They are a part of my daily vista; at night, they are three red lights floating above the land. The landscape is changed.

I can be (read: am) a bleeding heart aesthetic. Changes that affect my aesthetic sense take a long time for me to accept. I know that if I had lived in proximity to where the wind generators are now located, I would be but a memory. But, had I lived there preceding their installation, I firmly believe I would have made it my cause to become as informed as humanly possible in all respects regarding the wind generators.

To me, it's kind of like marriage. Vinalhaven is currently wedded to the wind generators. I am of the opinion that time well spent prior to decision making is essential to successful relationships. There is a comment made by a woman island resident on the "Voices of Vinalhaven" video (posted in this thread) that to me strongly sums up the cause of the current disharmony in the relationship between islanders - not all - and their new technology. The woman speaking basically says, hey, we had a chance to really educate ourselves - to visit other sites where similar generators were in use - and to see first hand what they were all about. But we didn't. In my words, I might say, I had a chance to really get to know what I was getting involved with, and I didn't. I can't live with the windmills. I want mediation/a divorce, whatever - something. Make it better. But then I learn that the "making it better" part will compromise the efficiency of the generator's output.

If I am of the minority in my community when it comes to casting the yea's or nay's, I respectfully submit to the outcome. If I can't live with it, I have to make a change. But it would be a change I could live with because I would know that I did everything I could to contribute to an an informed decision making process.

An acquaintance has, I think, a brilliant message on his answering machine. The recording says, "Well, technology wins again." Though I am an admitted Luddite wanna be, I praise technology's contributions. But not in this case, where its contribution clearly forsakes a greater worth - quality of life for the human's it seeks to serve.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
we had a chance to really educate ourselves - to visit other sites where similar generators were in use - and to see first hand what they were all about. But we didn't. In my words, I might say, I had a chance to really get to know what I was getting involved with, and I didn't. I can't live with the windmills.
Sounds just like the people who didn't read the fine print before they overused their credit cards.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
I praise technology's contributions.
When you really, really think about it, a lot of the "benefits" of technology come from offsetting the ill effects of the last generation of technology.

This includes modern medicine, too, which is praised for expensively treating diseases many of which result from living a technological life.

And a lot of technology, which at first acquaintence seems beneficial, is in fact a burden, when you consider the TOTAL cost of acquiring, guarding, insuring, and maintaining each gizmo.

I dunno--maybe no more than 10% of technology is a pure and absolute benefit.

The rest is the science of creating substitutes for things we've run out of from population growth, including but not limited to healthy food, exercise, and plenty of good, free land in a congenial climate on which to hunt and gather and raise a family on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine