U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With a Fried Maine Haddock Dinner...
Tater Tots 2 5.13%
Maine French Fries 37 94.87%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times

Advertisements

The Haddock dinner was a big success. We fed about 70 people. The baked potatoes were quite a hit! They went fast. We cooked about 30 thinking most people would take French Fries but alot of people wanted the baked spuds! Who'd a thunk it!
The fish was excellent. If you want some excellent haddock- Free Range Fish in Portland has fresh haddock for $3.99 a pound. It is excellent and at that price you can fill the freezer for winter! We paid $159.60 for 40 pounds and boy wasn't that good fish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,164,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The Haddock dinner was a big success. We fed about 65-70 people. The baked potatoes were quite a hit! They went fast. We cooked about 30 thinking most people would take French Fries but alot of people wanted the baked spuds! Who'd a thunk it!
The fish was excellent. If you want some excellent haddock- Free Range Fish in Portland has fresh haddock for $3.99 a pound. It is excellent and at that price you can fill the freezer for winter! We paid $159.60 for 40 pounds and boy wasn't that good fish!
Sounds like a delightful time was had by all!
Thanks for including all of us in the planning stages....maybe someday, using your contacts and knowledge of planning large get togethers, we can plan to have a similar dinner for the entire cd forum gang!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Thanks for including all of us in the planning stages....maybe someday, using your contacts and knowledge of planning large get togethers, we can plan to have a similar dinner for the entire cd forum gang!
It was fun. We had a lot of compliments on the quality of the fish and the rest of the meal. It's nice to see the Vets get a great meal at a bargain price. They deserve it! We have a good time just putting it together and cooking. We MAY have a social adult beverage afterwards to toast our success. It's always a fun night!
The Maine forum boasts some restaurant owners in Calais that could help out with a big get together someday too! All kinds of talent in this group!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 PM

227 posts, read 355,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I second that motion! All in favor, raise their thumbs

Just kidding! (sort of)

But seriously, I'm glad the turnout was good and the dinner was a great success.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:13 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,541,357 times
Quote:
The Haddock dinner was a big success. We fed about 70 people. The baked potatoes were quite a hit! They went fast. We cooked about 30 thinking most people would take French Fries but alot of people wanted the baked spuds! Who'd a thunk it!
Glad it was a great success, your effort to coordinate and do something nice for the local vets is just one of your admirable qualities.
Where is Free Range Fish? Does that mean the fish was farm raised? $3.99 is a great price for fresh fish, can't beat that! More people in Maine should eat local fish, I'm amazed at how many people don't take advantage of it.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:07 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
We take advantage every chance we get in this house. A good piec of haddock, halibut, or whatever? love it. Glad the supper was a succes Mainah. Good on ya.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,966,626 times
I'm glad a good time was had by all. And thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a referral to a geniune "off the boats" fish market around here for years! I will definitely check it out.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
Glad it was a great success, your effort to coordinate and do something nice for the local vets is just one of your admirable qualities.
Where is Free Range Fish? Does that mean the fish was farm raised? $3.99 is a great price for fresh fish, can't beat that! More people in Maine should eat local fish, I'm amazed at how many people don't take advantage of it.
It's just past Becky's diner in the next block down toward the Ferry Terminal.
They have really good fish there, a large selection and the best prices around. The name, I think ,is a rub at the health conscious who seek out the free range chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys. It's kind of catchy. (no pun intended)

Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I'm glad a good time was had by all. And thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a referral to a geniune "off the boats" fish market around here for years! I will definitely check it out.
I know you're a lot further south T, but Harbor Fish on Custom House Wharf lands most of their local fish and all of their lobster right there on the wharf. Great guys too.

Quote:
It's just past Becky's diner in the next block down toward the Ferry Terminal.
They have really good fish there, a large selection and the best prices around. The name, I think ,is a rub at the health conscious who seek out the free range chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys. It's kind of catchy. (no pun intended)
Thanks, I'll check that out too, love the name!

Old 11-21-2009, 04:45 PM

566 posts, read 1,255,954 times
Am I the only person here that does not like fish of any kind? Hmmmm maybe I am. No fish, no seafood. I love Tater Tots even after middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or