Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,645,953 times

Advertisements

My husband recently had an interview in Boston, but another opportunity has come up that would put us in Bangor. Well I know nothing of the area so I was hoping you here could give me some insight. We area family of 5, I have three kids and then there is my husband. We are outdoor people, love hiking and taking in what the area has to offer. We love to be involved in town activities and we love the four seasons and wildlife.
I have two kids in high school and one in elementary. We love older homes and my kids love sports.

Any suggestions on areas to live and what the schools are like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,355,764 times
Bangor has most anything you can think of in terms of shopping and resteraunts most centrally located around the mall. It's a small city, population around 32,000. Houses in the surrounding area are preety affordable and there's a good University in Orono. The schools in Herman, Orono, Old Town and Brewer all are pretty good. There is skiing locally at Mt. Herman and plenty of outdoor activities. In my opinion, Maine is a great place to raise kids.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,870,153 times
I believe Bangor is a dang good little city. It is large enough to have the amenities and small enough to be friendly and easy to get arouond. Well, except for the mess the made on Stillwater. The childrens museum downtown os real good. It is a great jumping off point to visiting the rest of Maine. Most everything is only a few hours away. Tons of stuff to do and plenty of places close by.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks, so far that is what I have heard. I have met some people here in Denver from Maine that want to move back and have told us we would fit in well. I love the big city but prefer the smallish one. How close to the Ocean is Bangor? My husband and kids love Seafood and my husband heard their is so good food in Maine. For me, the scenery from the photos online is just amazing, I am a tree, mountain and lake type person. Oh and I LOVE snow!!!! What is the rainfall like there? I am originally from the PNW.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,355,764 times
Oh you'll see snow. The rain isn't drizzly every day like some parts of the PNW. We did have an awfully wet spring and early summer but it was pouring rain. There are days I can stand on the deck and watch the rain pour down in the front yard while the sun shines in the back yard. There are good places to buy fresh seafood in Bangor but it's about an hour to get to the ocean. I like McLaughlin Seafood it's at 728 Main Street Bangor, Me.
GourmetFoodMall <> NOTICE

Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Oh you'll see snow. The rain isn't drizzly every day like some parts of the PNW. We did have an awfully wet spring and early summer but it was pouring rain. There are days I can stand on the deck and watch the rain pour down in the front yard while the sun shines in the back yard. There are good places to buy fresh seafood in Bangor but it's about an hour to get to the ocean. I like McLaughlin Seafood it's at 728 Main Street Bangor, Me.
GourmetFoodMall <> NOTICE
Thanks for the link. Now I am hungry. I hated the drizzle in Seattle, I always thought , if it is going to rain, just rain already, whats with the annoying drizzle!!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,151,904 times
Hello and welcome!

This is a link to the City of Bangor. If you scroll down, you can access the School Department.

Welcome to the City of Bangor

Here's a link to Hermon Mountain. It's a small one, but offers lots of fun for kids in the winter.

Hermon Mountain | Ski Hermon Mountain

Bangor is approximately an hour to an hour and a half from the coast.

Here's a link for a few other spots:

Bangor Family Activities - Things to Do With Kids in Bangor ME - UpTake.com

I'd also suggest searching older threads.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:11 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,622,949 times
If you want to go to the lower end of Mt. Desert Island where there is no land between you and Spain it is an hour and a half, but Bangor is tidal. The tides are about 10 feet. You can catch striped bass just off Main Street. You just can't see the open sea from Bangor.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,618,122 times
There are no cities in Maine. We have a few large towns, but at 60,000 people for Portland (the largest "city" in Maine)You will not find what you consider to be a city anywhere in Maine.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,504,379 times
Welcome, nea. Keep us posted on the job and the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine