Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:33 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,428,827 times

Advertisements

No way, no shopping here either. We stopped gifting other than to the little kids in our family years ago. All we ever wanted was to just spend the day together as a family and it just seemed ridiculous to go buy some unneeded item for someone just for the sake of buying. We were all quite relieved once the decision was made.
While my kids are no longer little I still buy them something. My son told me yesterday that he would like a new set of tires for his truck.
Those are going to be a SOB to wrap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,320,329 times
I shop that day.. only when there is something special I hope to collect. I haven't done that in 3 yrs.

I'm planning on going that a.m. thou this year.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Not me. I rarely shop for anything except food--and not much of that, either.

By the way, did you ever hear of this incident?

"A Wal-Mart worker died early Friday after an 'out-of-control' mob of frenzied shoppers smashed through the Long Island (New York) store's front doors and trampled him, police said. "Full story here: Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

Geez, sounds like satire--but it really happend. Thank your lucky stars you live in a civilized place like Maine, instead of an uncivilized place like New York City and its suburbs.

I think we just have less people. There's plenty of pushing through the doors, but yes, thankfully we haven't had any major injuries or death.

When I was working, discounted flat screen TVs, digital photo frames, and video chairs were all the rage. I thought there were going to be brawls over the video chairs. I remember the one word that kept going through my mind that season, "Animals!" Maybe it's the equivalent of deer hunting season for those who don't hunt deer ...LOL...

For some people it's a tradition, but I think I'll stick to the tradition of decorating and recovering from my overdose of L Tryptophan on the day prior.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM

701 posts, read 1,077,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Ha ha! I agree. I worked several years ago in retail for around 5 years. 2 or 3 years ago. I fell and hit my head and decided to pick up a Christmas job. Yep. I got to work on Black Friday. Fortunately, I was "back office" but I did go out onto the floor once. I was nearly run over by a rabid, foaming-mouthed person racing through the store with a flat screen TV. I was greatly tempted to stick out my leg and trip him. Shortly thereafter, a woman was shoved into a cabinet and sliced open her leg. They bandaged her and off she continued shopping.

No thanks. I'll use an old Bloom County cartoon description to describe what I'd rather do on Black Friday: I'd rather be dragged over carpet tacks and dipped in rubbing alcohol.
That's it!!!!! you've just perfectly explained how I feel about "Black Friday" I avoid any shopping whenever possible but the day after Thanksgiving is especially heinous............

(BTW Reloop.........I love Bloom County! Haven't thought about it in a long time, I'll have to go find my old books BC was always good for a laugh)

Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,510 times
Nope. Not that I am much of a shopper anyway... I make most presents and have the stuff I need on hand, acquired throughout the year.

I will, as usual, recognize "Buy Nothing Day." Matter of fact, I won't be setting foot in anything but a grocery store or at a gas pump until after the first of the year... This has been my tradition for many years now.

Don't we all have enough "stuff" already anyway??

Last edited by starwalker; 11-24-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,567,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Nope. Not that I am much of a shopper anyway... I make most presents and have the stuff I need on hand, acquired throughout the year.

I will, as usual, recognize "Buy Nothing Day."

No.....The washing machine leaks, the dryer needs to be replaced, the stove is 14 years old, the deck needs replacement, the tractor needs all new hydraulic lines, we still don't have a dining room table that's any good after 26 years, the bed is shot, we need to remodel the bathroom,we need a guest bed for one of the kid's old rooms,the couch has had it, we need to paint every room, the upstairs carpet needs to be replaced, I'd like to buy my wife some sapphires, and I need a new truck. That's just for starters. If this crappy economy ever turns around I'll do all of those things ....until then I'll just wait.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,730,604 times
Over my dead body!!
I avoid Black Friday like the plague!

Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,480,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post

I will, as usual, recognize "Buy Nothing Day." Matter of fact, I won't be setting foot in anything but a grocery store or at a gas pump until after the first of the year... This has been my tradition for many years now.

I like the idea of Buy Nothing Day for Black Friday. There is no "thing" that is worth going into a store on that day.

I've suspected for a few years now that some of the more rabid shoppers on that day actually resell a lot of the electronic gizmos on Ebay to make money.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 820,142 times
When I watch the zoos on tv and see the masses acting like animals at feeding time, I reflect and say...NO WAY! It would be a very cold day in h**l before I would ever stand in line, wait for hours for a store to open, trample someone, or be trampled for something that will be there at a later date if I needed or wanted it that badly.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,516,388 times
No black Friday shopping for me - We'll be on our way home from our Thanksgiving visit with our daughter in Dover NH. It is supposed to be rainy and windy - ugh - I hate traveling in that, so maybe we may take a break in Portland and visit "Victoria Mansion" which is decorated for the Holiday Season. I have always wanted to see it but never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine