Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

This could probably go out as a poll too but since there's one or two already running I'll just start it as a thread.
Do you get into the shopping scene on Black Friday the day after Thanksgiving touted as the official start of the Christmas shopping season?
Merchants call it Black Friday because hopefully the Christmas retail season will keep them in the black instead of ending the year in "The Red".
I refuse to participate in such nonsense (plus I'm usually deer hunting anyway) and DW won't go shopping on that day either. My kids never got the "must have" toy of the year as I would not stand in a line for ANY toy.
It's always great to start out the observance of a Holy season with people punching each other out over a video game.
Personally I still do 90% of my Holiday Shopping at LL Bean on Christmas Eve. Nobody is there ,stuff is marked down, and I can get it all done in an hour, plus they wrap it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
No, I do not participate in Black Friday. What a bunch of hooey. I don't have many to buy for. I actually do my very best to stay out of any mall type store/s at any time of the year. I can't stand to be around big crowds of people like that. Yuck. A good way to get sick if you ask me!

This year, since I'm doing the brunt of the work and have been out straight for weeks, I plan on sitting back and doing NOTHING Friday!!! lol I might not even get out of my jammies! It might be a movie day on tv and some rug hooking. It's supposed to be quite rainy down here, so why not! Hope you get your deer that day Maineah!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 PM

513 posts, read 1,223,147 times
Nope, requires getting up way too early, and standing in line with potential Swine Flu carriers to get a good deal...

Old 11-23-2009, 02:59 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,168 times
After working for a major retailer for 13 years and worked most of them . . .

No Way In Heck !

Old 11-23-2009, 03:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
I get up early and go to the camp. Lay back and read.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:27 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
After working for a major retailer for 13 years and worked most of them . . .

No Way In Heck !

Ha ha! I agree. I worked several years ago in retail for around 5 years. 2 or 3 years ago. I fell and hit my head and decided to pick up a Christmas job. Yep. I got to work on Black Friday. Fortunately, I was "back office" but I did go out onto the floor once. I was nearly run over by a rabid, foaming-mouthed person racing through the store with a flat screen TV. I was greatly tempted to stick out my leg and trip him. Shortly thereafter, a woman was shoved into a cabinet and sliced open her leg. They bandaged her and off she continued shopping.

No thanks. I'll use an old Bloom County cartoon description to describe what I'd rather do on Black Friday: I'd rather be dragged over carpet tacks and dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
It's not Thanksgiving yet and I am already sick of Xmas commercials. I have always had to work on the day after Thanksgiving and even if I had the day off there is no way I would be out with mobs of knuckle dragging troglodytes like the one that trampled a wal-mart employee to death on Long Island last year.

Xmas should be a holiday for kids and not a festival of materialism and greed. Having a good Xmas should not come with a big price tag, but a realization that the most important things in life are not things.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:58 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
This could probably go out as a poll too but since there's one or two already running I'll just start it as a thread.
Do you get into the shopping scene on Black Friday the day after Thanksgiving touted as the official start of the Christmas shopping season?
Not me. I rarely shop for anything except food--and not much of that, either.

By the way, did you ever hear of this incident?

"A Wal-Mart worker died early Friday after an 'out-of-control' mob of frenzied shoppers smashed through the Long Island (New York) store's front doors and trampled him, police said. "Full story here: Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

Geez, sounds like satire--but it really happend. Thank your lucky stars you live in a civilized place like Maine, instead of an uncivilized place like New York City and its suburbs.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,388 times
I do most of my shopping online and stay from Black Friday far, far away. I agree it is a jammie day.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Black Friday is decorating day here. I don't like shopping even when stores are empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine