U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 03:30 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,876,970 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, my in-laws 50th is coming up. SIL thought a family get-together somewhere this Feb. would be nice and also fun. She came up with a place in N.H. but MIL had problems with it. It couldn't house the 15+ of us all being there at once. Now the debate on where has started and they are talking spring so I don't think the timeframe is a dealbreaker. Although scholl vacation times would be the best.

I'm trying to come up with ideas too but am not having much luck. Does anyone know of a nice place (first one was a farm with activities), all inclusive, that kids and adults could enjoy? The last few ideas were in the mountains so I think that will be another deciding point.

The last place had sleigh rides, sledding, skating, swimming (indoor pool), and farm chores. These folks are a fairly hard bunch to please. Ones mattress id too soft, this chair is too hard the porridge is never "just right". The perfect place for most of them is a very nice place but has at least one thing they can pick at to their hearts content. Think I'm kidding?

Any ideas?? You're always good at helping everyone with this type of thing and with moving. Now it's my turn to pick your brains. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,268,362 times
Hmmmm...I found a couple of links:

Maine Retreat and Conference Center: The Farm at Worthley Pond, Peru , Maine located in New England

All-Inclusive Maine Family Vacation Resort in Boothbay Harbor

Maybe there's something suitable in this group??
Maine Family Vacations- NEIRA- Maine Family Getaway Specials (http://www.newenglandinnsandresorts.com/family/maine/?src=ppc_google_MaineFamilyVacations - broken link)

I really don't have any first-hand knowledge of what exists. I'll ask around and let you know if I can find out anything.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,833,113 times
Does anyone qualify for the MWR Great Pond? Can handle 15+, outdoor activities...no indoor pool

Old 11-28-2009, 06:39 AM

I'm a vet and DW as dependent. The rest are civilian. Not sure if this many are allowed under one GI. DW brought it up last night and we figured we'd give them a call to see.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll spend some time scoping those 3 links, Reloop. Thanks

Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,268,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I'm a vet and DW as dependent. The rest are civilian. Not sure if this many are allowed under one GI. DW brought it up last night and we figured we'd give them a call to see.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll spend some time scoping those 3 links, Reloop. Thanks

You're welcome. I'd check into Great Pond 'tho. That's a great suggestion. We went one winter and had a great experience.

We took friends who were non-military, but I don't recall if there was a limit or not.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 AM

63 posts, read 118,687 times
If you're looking to do this in February then I would guess skiing is on the menu. I would go to Vermont, not Maine. I lived around Stowe for several years and they have amazing winter activities and it's only 1/2 hour from Burlington which is nice too. They just opened up a HUGE retreat centre called Spruce Peaks. The place is absolutely amazing and it's ski in/ski out for Spruce and there's a gondola at the hotel that will bring you over to Mt. Mansfield.

Of course, there's other things to do there as well. Horse-drawn sleigh rides, pubs, a nice downtown area, etc.

It's also a huge seasonal rental town...you could easily find a house that could house 15+, or a couple houses on the same street, all close to the Mountain and/or downtown.

As far as Maine goes though, I'm not too familiar with any place that would be open in Feb. Someone else here is going to have to help you out with that one.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,833,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post

The MWR places I've gone, we only needed one ID card (mine) and I have rented up to 4 units. I have never used Great Pond though.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks to all. We'll forward all the ideas on to the "powers that be" and see what they feel. I really appreciate all the help. Now to see what they choose; we're just by-standstanders in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine