U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:00 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,356,355 times

Advertisements

I share the news with you this evening of the passing of Michael S. Poce, aka Amacop. Mike fought a determined fight with cancer that began a little over a year ago. Although I had never met him in person, we had some great emails back and forth regarding my interest in a few properties in Steuben, where he lived. Mike wrote me in January and told me the cancer had spread and his treatment was going to be difficult and the outcome unsure. He was concerned with the battle ahead because he had a long time battle with PTSD from having served in Vietnam.

I stopped by his home this summer with BoundToFindMe and her DH as he'd invited me to do many times, but though they were home, there was no answer to the doorbell. I knew then things were not going well. I left my business card and a note.

Mike was the kind of guy who sight unseen and after only a few emails, invited me along with my two dogs, to come and stay with he and his wife Esther while I viewed the properties in question. He researched the properties and sent me relative information, along with the names and phone numbers of his dearest friends for me to contact regarding their assistance in the area. A truly rare breed and a good, loving, thoughtful, and friendly soul. RIP Mike. Thanks for your wonderful gift of warm friendship from afar. I will *see* you and remember you often as I look out to sea from my perch in Maine.

There is a service at St. Michael's in Cherryfield tomorrow with a get together at his home after.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...op-301304.html

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 11-27-2009 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Added a link to his profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM

474 posts, read 822,040 times
My condolences to you, his family and this board.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 PM

474 posts, read 1,238,282 times
Thanks Coastal for letting all of us know. Our prayers and thoughts are with Mike's family.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:34 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Our prayers will be with his family.

Thank you for letting us know.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:52 PM

242 posts, read 331,491 times
I am so very sorry for his family and friends.
Lost my brother this past September to colon cancer.
Fight to kill the Beast!

Cancer survivor
5 years
Non Hodgkins Lymphoma

Drucilla Meany-Herbert

Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 PM

264 posts, read 647,849 times
His family is in my thoughts. He was a great guy. When I first posted on this forum, he PM'ed me with so many helpful links and information. He also volunteered his and his wife's help to show us around or help with anything else I may need in my research of Maine to find my "home". I am sure he will be missed by many.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 PM

227 posts, read 355,847 times
How sad, and even harder on his family and friends for this to happen just after Thanksgiving Day. Special prayers for his family and friends. Thank you for letting us know.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,356,355 times
Oh Spose and everyone else, he passed on November 11th, Veteran's Day. Very appropriate day for him as he was a veteran who was proud to have served his country. The service and get together is tomorrow. I myself just received notification of his passing this evening and wanted to be sure to let you all know as well. My apologies for omitting that info in the original posting.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 PM

227 posts, read 355,847 times
Thanks for the clarification. I think certain days seem appropriate and help lessen the sorrow a bit. My brother passed away many years ago on July 4--his favorite holiday. Yet, although I still miss him, I don't feel sad on that day. Mostly happy memories. And even though it hurt to see my mother dying and suffer any longer, on April 1, I prayed for her to hold out just a little longer. That would have been much harder to deal with, more of a cruel joke. She did, barely. Lastly, we held off a "Celebration of Life" for my mother-in-law for a few weeks until this Veterans Day; her birthday and she was also veteran; albeit of the English army in WWII. Maybe dates and holidays shouldn't matter. But they do to me and probably to Michael/Amacop's family and friends too. I hope everyone can all hold on to the good memories during this time.

Last edited by spose; 11-27-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,164,573 times
So sorry to hear of amacop's death. He was such a polite and helpful cd forum member. My condolences to his family.
Many thanks to you Gale for sharing this sad news with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine