Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Thanks again for all the replies. Makes me much more confident we have made the right decision. Guess my 2 motorcycles will be sold for money towards a snowmobile. The wildlife Refuge also sounds great. I'm no stranger to volunteer work as I donate my time here to the MO Dept of Conservation as a safety officer at the local shooting range. Have met some nice people there. I'm excited about going up this weekend to look the place over.
OH dont sell your bikes man there is no better ride then up RT1 to houlton or mars hill on a bike on a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
OH dont sell your bikes man there is no better ride then up RT1 to houlton or mars hill on a bike on a nice day.
Yeah but you have to make sure the windmills don't suck you off the road!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 AM

13 posts, read 35,296 times
I think he should keep his old Britt bike for nice day rides. Kevin has LOADS of toys he can spare to build a sled fund. Does anyone have experience with well drilling?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyl View Post
So, I guess a snowmobile has to go on our need list along with Kevin's ice fishing equipment... I thought that the post office is in a store on route 1? Do they have mail delivery?
The Post office in the store you are referring to is actually in Orient. Or was in Orient. They had a fire at the beginning of November. There is mail delivery. There is a Post Office in Danforth and one on route 1 in Houlton on your way into town.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM

I know back in the day, the mailbox was on the end of the road. There was a row of boxes. Most were our relatives, so in a way we did the mail delivery.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 PM

38 posts, read 82,609 times
Default Maine

Find a farm with horses that offer a program for children with disabilities. Go to the annual town meeting and listen to what the people say. Keep your politics to yourself but voice your opinions after you have studied an issue and discussed it with several neighbors. Get involved with some outdoor activities and look for different things to do rather than complain that things are not the same as you are used to. My wife and I moved up here almost 15 years ago. I left a week after the ice storm of January 1998 and we returned during the Summer of 1999. I grew up in NYC and Bergen County, NJ. The folks are honest and friendly.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the great ideas! Our son is 35, but it looks like there are ample programs available if needed for Jay. As for politics that's a given most places these days. Kevin went to the closing Friday and the house definitely needs work. We are still excited, picked up a few old house renovation books. We need to get our place in Missouri on the market as soon as possible.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyl View Post
Thanks for the great ideas! Our son is 35, but it looks like there are ample programs available if needed for Jay. As for politics that's a given most places these days. Kevin went to the closing Friday and the house definitely needs work. We are still excited, picked up a few old house renovation books. We need to get our place in Missouri on the market as soon as possible.

Some good advice I got when purchasing our older home: it's the hat (roof) and the boots (foundation) that matter most!
The rest can come later.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM

428 posts, read 554,036 times
Just got back from the visiting the homestead to be. Closed on Friday and spent the next two nights there. I walked the boundary and found all four corner posts. Deer sign (scat) at the SW corner in a clearing was encouraging.

As for the house, the "Boots" look to be in good shape. The "hat" needs some work, though I could find no evidence of leaks - just some moss on the N side. Some clapboards, door and window wood to replace.

Heat and electric are probably the biggest concerns. I need to replace the fuse box with circuit breakers and the homemade 55 Gal drum furnace in the basement will have to be replaced, but these are probably topics for another thread.

My visit leaves me with the impression that life there will be very agreeable, and we can probably survive on my pension and what we can produce.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Raspberries are an easy crop to produce in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine