U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM

227 posts, read 355,774 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I got my older sister's hand-me-down ice skates, which were way too big. It never occurred to me to ask my mom and dad for a pair that fit. I never fell on my face but I did fall on my other cheeks a couple times. I could get going but that was about it, I never did quite catch on to stopping...snowbanks worked well though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Growing up, I got my older sister's hand-me-down ice skates, which were way too big. It never occurred to me to ask my mom and dad for a pair that fit. I never fell on my face but I did fall on my other cheeks a couple times. I could get going but that was about it, I never did quite catch on to stopping...snowbanks worked well though!
We had a consignment shop in Yarmouth where I grew up. You could go down there and buy a pair of skates for a couple of dollars. It was great because every year as a kid you need a different size. Problem was you never had the same type of skates from year to year. One year I'd be in hockey skates and another I'd have figure skates. You had to get what fit no matter what it was. Sharpening them was another thing we couldn't do. The school would rent an hour of ice time at Bowdoin College or Riverside Arena a couple of times a year and we would ride the bus in for a skating party. If you made the trip you could get your skates sharpened for a dollar. I remember I darn near killed myself after I sharpened my skates for the first time as I had never been on a pair of sharp skates in my life and couldn't turn them anymore.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
Brunswick Rec has a ski and skate sale every fall. You turn in all of your used equipment one Saturday, they'd hand you a ticket as a receipt and the following Saturday they'd have it all sorted and ready to go pick through. Every kind of winter sports equipment from toboggans, to ski's, boots and poles, xcountry equipment, snowshoes and lots of used skates were all sorted in the huge gymnasium in the Rec. The sale begins at 9am but people start lining up by 6am to get the good stuff. The line would wrap all the way around the block. If you arrived later than 8am, you would be way at the end of the line and didn't stand much of a chance of getting anything good.
With 4 kids in our family, this is how we acquired most of our winter fun. However, as we got a little older our parents never endured the long lines standing in the freezing cold. Dad would drop us off around 7am with a thermos of hot chocolate that mom had made us and we'd wait in line to run in and do the big scramble. My younger sister and I were responsible for not only finding ski's and skates for us, but for our youngest brother and sister who were also in tow. It was like running a marathon. I remember Dad being out in the car waiting or us when we came out with all of our new/used stuff and the excitement of showing them our goods.

Fun memories. Thanks for the reminder Maineah, good stuff!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,355,232 times
Sometimes I wonder how we all even survived being kids of the 40's, 50's, and 60's!!!!!!!! LOL NO helmets, NO knee or elbow pads, NO fanny cushions (that was quite a visual Spose!!! lol), AND being allowed inside a group of rollicking shoppers WITHOUT an adult to watch for pedophiles and such!!!! AMAZING by todays standards!!! It's a wonder we don't all have facial tics at the very least!!!!!!!! And I'm SO very thankful for that upbringing!!!!! Aren't all of you too? We had the best times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,106,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Sometimes I wonder how we all even survived being kids of the 40's, 50's, and 60's!!!!!!!! LOL NO helmets, NO knee or elbow pads, NO fanny cushions (that was quite a visual Spose!!! lol), AND being allowed inside a group of rollicking shoppers WITHOUT an adult to watch for pedophiles and such!!!! AMAZING by todays standards!!! It's a wonder we don't all have facial tics at the very least!!!!!!!! And I'm SO very thankful for that upbringing!!!!! Aren't all of you too? We had the best times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup we survived riding in the back of a pickup truck, open burning dumps, burning leaves, walking to school, bb guns, firecrackers, cars with no seat belts and big engines, no SPF 10 let alone SPF 50 sunscreen, cheap sneakers, drugs, unsafe sex, bad fashion and much much more!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 AM

643 posts, read 1,254,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
No kidding! I grew up on a small (86 acre) lake in Washington state. It didn't usually freeze enough to skate on - but one winter it was solid and we were all skating from dawn until dusk. One day two of my brothers and I skipped school to skate. My third (and youngest) brother heard us plotting so we had to wait around for his bus and then convinced him to come with us (and thus not squeal to Mom). Some other kids (where was the truant officer I wonder? haha) brought brooms and we all played broom hockey -- even built our own fire and somebody snuck into their house for marshmallows and graham crackers.

One of the best memories of my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine