U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Waldo County
1,220 posts, read 3,443,843 times
Reputation: 1393

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoseth View Post
Sure, the Domino Effect / Slippery Slope argument is ALWAYS valid... made sense in the Cold War until we found out what BS it was. What a tired old chestnut to trot out. *Sigh*. Jackbooted thugs are not going to show up at your door to insist that you paint it a different color just because ANY kind of reasonable oversight is in place in a historic district.


This matter has little to do with the cold war. The issue is precisely what you want people to do: to "honor" some mystical code established by some sort of emotional contact with something that exists in the minds of people who may or may not be rooted in reality. You are correct in that "jackbooted thugs" probably won't show up on the door step if something is done that violates a codified historic district. The TOWN in the person of the code enforcement officer will send a summons citing the violation of the ordinance and the only remedy will be to change back whatever was done to the way it was before, OR modify what was done to conform to what the code will alllow. And there are plenty of example of historic districts that have enforced their district code in just this way. The flaw in your argument here is "reasonable oversight". Just what exactly is that and how do you go about getting it. IF the Blue Hill historic district was codified according to its listing in the Register, ALL construction within the defined boundaries would have to be either Federal or Colonial in style. That would infer that certain exterior colors would be mandated as the colors that typify that era are well documented. In addition would that mean that roofs would have to be typical of Federal or Colonial era also? If so, asphalt roofing would not be legal, would it? How about clapboards? Would vinyl or cement clapboards be allowed, only wood products used, and so forth. The problem here is that you simply cannot have it both ways: either you codify in detail what the intent is, or the ordinance and therefore the town, will be open to endless litigation from someone...either from Blue Hill or from elsewhere, decides they want and which the town will have to defend. Blue Hill like most small towns in Maine has little money to spend on litigation.


I heard the garage setback story too. The usual thing in such cases is to apply for a variance, not get up in arms and repeal the ordinance altogether!


I wasn't there, and don't know that this wasn't done. What was done was that the code was repealed.It's like timber tresspass - I don't cut trees that are too close to my property line out of respect for tradition and courtesy to my neighbors, but it so happens it's also illegal for me to do so.

Because this guy pushed to get the setback ordinance repealed, now anybody who doesn't have the same kind of decency and respect can build anything right spang up against his neighbor's lot and there's no recourse.

correct

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Again, it's a vocal pushy minority trampling on majority rights, not at all as you've characterized it - just the opposite, in fact.
Really? And why do you say that? It seems to me that the majority in the town of Blue Hill like the ordinances as they presently exist, otherwise why isn't there a movement to develop a whole new set of building and land use ordinances for the town? This is one of the roles of the selectmen, and to my knowledge there is no public outcry for major changes to take place in town. Are you inferring that Blue Hill is the private domaine of a small pushy minority? If so, can you cite your reference and tell everyone who this "pushy minority" is?

 
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
 
8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoseth View Post
Heh heh. Thought you didn't have a dog in this fight, Maineah. What happened to being a "quiet, loving conservative"? Don't start in gaybashing, now. Everybody knows what "the same population makeup as Ogunquit" is code for.
You didn't disappoint me with your reply. Gay bashing is referring to the fact the place MAY be gay friendly? I didn't mention the fact the place is considered to be gay friendly to AVOID being called a gaybasher. You were more than happy to call me names though weren't you. I have HEARD it was gay friendly but I have never BEEN there myself...sorry I asked!!
All I asked is if it was true that Blue Hill, is gay friendly without coming right out and saying it. Yes we know what code for Ogunquit is but it's hardly bashing gays if you ask if an area is gay friendly. Don't worry I have the possee on hold for now. Gay issues have been sensitive here since the marriage bill was repealed and I was attempting to be sensitive. Since you don't live here you just remain out of the loop on a number of issues I guess!

Last edited by Maineah; 12-03-2009 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: spelling.
 
Old 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
 
1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It's on main street as you go south up Tenney Hill. It will be on the right... 2nd buiding past union trust bank.
Is that the building that sort of looks like a brick church, with what is or resembles a bell tower, and with four columns out front and a flagpole?

If you have fast internet, I am thinking of this one: blue hill. me banks - Google Maps

If so, it is a nice looking building.
 
Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Reputation: 3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Wasn't Blue Hill invaded by granola types years ago?? It is always mentioned as an artsy type of place filled with out of staters boasting the same population makeup as Ogunquit. Is this correct?

Yes, Blue Hill is very liberal. On the other hand I don't know of anybody that cares what else goes on that doesn't affect them. It really isn't a big concern.
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:03 PM
 
18 posts, read 36,877 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You didn't disappoint me with your reply. Gay bashing is referring to the fact the place MAY be gay friendly? I didn't mention the fact the place is considered to be gay friendly to AVOID being called a gaybasher. You were more than happy to call me names though weren't you.
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much". - Macbeth.

I never called you a gaybasher, or any other name. I just said "don't start in gaybashing, now." See the distinction? And if you MUST chime in after you've already said you don't have a dog in this fight, at least try to stay on topic.
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
 
18 posts, read 36,877 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Really? And why do you say that? It seems to me that the majority in the town of Blue Hill like the ordinances as they presently exist, otherwise why isn't there a movement to develop a whole new set of building and land use ordinances for the town? This is one of the roles of the selectmen, and to my knowledge there is no public outcry for major changes to take place in town. Are you inferring that Blue Hill is the private domaine of a small pushy minority? If so, can you cite your reference and tell everyone who this "pushy minority" is?
I think my earlier posts were clear enough. I'm not going to be drawn into naming names. I said the people who always show up for "special town meetings" constitute a kind of oligarchy. These meetings are essentially closed door 'smoking rooms' because of the sneaky way they're often quickly scheduled and/or not properly publicized. Only those in the know tend to show up.

It so happens that a large number of people in town were tremendously disappointed by the failure to pass the comprehensive plan recently, after so much work had gone into it. Why does Blue Hill not have one, you may ask, practically alone among other similarly civilized communities? It's because of the disproportionate influence of this cabal to which I'm referring.

I don't have to PROVE anything. You can dismiss my assertions if you like; it won't invalidate the fundamental truth underlying them.

Last edited by banjoseth; 12-03-2009 at 03:46 PM..
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
 
8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoseth View Post
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much". - Macbeth.

I never called you a gaybasher, or any other name. I just said "don't start in gaybashing, now." See the distinction? And if you MUST chime in after you've already said you don't have a dog in this fight, at least try to stay on topic.
I'll "chime in" where ever I please thank you. When you become moderator you can determine what is and is not on topic.
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM
 
18 posts, read 36,877 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'll "chime in" where ever I please thank you. When you become moderator you can determine what is and is not on topic.
I started this string and the subject isn't gay ANYTHING, it's the lack of zoning and other oversight in the town of Blue Hill. If you want to get a moderator involved I'm sure I'd have no problem abiding by his or her decision about who is on topic and who is being inappropriate.

Last edited by banjoseth; 12-03-2009 at 04:36 PM..
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Waldo County
1,220 posts, read 3,443,843 times
Reputation: 1393
[quote=banjoseth;11877452]I think my earlier posts were clear enough. I'm not going to be drawn into naming names. I said the people who always show up for "special town meetings" constitute a kind of oligarchy. These meetings are essentially closed door 'smoking rooms' because of the sneaky way they're often quickly scheduled and/or not properly publicized. Only those in the know tend to show up.

Oh, now wait a minute. You are saying that Blue Hill's town business meetings are not publicized? Are you aware that all meetings of the town are public and must be publicized as such. Are you saying that the town administration is deliberately operating in violaton of state law? I suspect not. I suspect that you merely like to blow hard about nothing in particular and your electing to be away "for work" somehow entitles you to return and straighten everyone out.

It so happens that a large number of people in town were tremendously disappointed by the failure to pass the comprehensive plan recently, after so much work had gone into it. Why does Blue Hill not have one, you may ask, practically alone among other similarly civilized communities? It's because of the disproportionate influence of this cabal to which I'm referring.

Not having a comprehensive plan is serious business. It means that many forms of state financial aid can be withheld from the town. If "many people" are truly upset that the town has not yet submitted a comprehensive plan that meets state requirements, then I suggest that "many people" get busy to make this situation different.

This thread is coming around to the point of origination. You have come back to Blue Hill, found it not to your liking, and therefore whatever is happening there is wrong. You don't like the democratic process as it is practiced in Blue Hill, and therefore you have decided that it is the result of a conspiracy by a cabal of unknown people who are noisy and "arrange" things to suit themselves for their own purpose. You have inferred that there is illegal administrative practices in Blue Hill yet you lack the courage to actually get involved to effect changes.

I think this thread is overdue to closure. You have left Blue Hill for other places and I think you should be content to stay there, work, grow, perhaps mature. Someday you may want to come back to Blue Hill and accept the changes or lack thereof as the way the town is. Or perhaps you won't be able to do that, and if so, you should be happy and content with whatever locale you have ended up in.

By your own account you are "from" Blue Hill. NOW, you are FROM away. Be at peace with what the town is or is not.

For my part, I am no longer a part of the town having sold my interests there two years ago. I enjoyed my time as a taxpayer in the town, and have benefitted greatly professionally and personally from the experience. But I have moved on to other places and other ideas much as you have done. I hope that you will be at peace with your decision to leave and make your time elsewhere count.

Now I think I am done with this thread.
 
Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
 
8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Reputation: 3486
[quote=Acadianlion;11877984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoseth View Post
I think my earlier posts were clear enough. I'm not going to be drawn into naming names. I said the people who always show up for "special town meetings" constitute a kind of oligarchy. These meetings are essentially closed door 'smoking rooms' because of the sneaky way they're often quickly scheduled and/or not properly publicized. Only those in the know tend to show up.

Oh, now wait a minute. You are saying that Blue Hill's town business meetings are not publicized? Are you aware that all meetings of the town are public and must be publicized as such. Are you saying that the town administration is deliberately operating in violaton of state law? I suspect not. I suspect that you merely like to blow hard about nothing in particular and your electing to be away "for work" somehow entitles you to return and straighten everyone out.

It so happens that a large number of people in town were tremendously disappointed by the failure to pass the comprehensive plan recently, after so much work had gone into it. Why does Blue Hill not have one, you may ask, practically alone among other similarly civilized communities? It's because of the disproportionate influence of this cabal to which I'm referring.

Not having a comprehensive plan is serious business. It means that many forms of state financial aid can be withheld from the town. If "many people" are truly upset that the town has not yet submitted a comprehensive plan that meets state requirements, then I suggest that "many people" get busy to make this situation different.

This thread is coming around to the point of origination. You have come back to Blue Hill, found it not to your liking, and therefore whatever is happening there is wrong. You don't like the democratic process as it is practiced in Blue Hill, and therefore you have decided that it is the result of a conspiracy by a cabal of unknown people who are noisy and "arrange" things to suit themselves for their own purpose. You have inferred that there is illegal administrative practices in Blue Hill yet you lack the courage to actually get involved to effect changes.

I think this thread is overdue to closure. You have left Blue Hill for other places and I think you should be content to stay there, work, grow, perhaps mature. Someday you may want to come back to Blue Hill and accept the changes or lack thereof as the way the town is. Or perhaps you won't be able to do that, and if so, you should be happy and content with whatever locale you have ended up in.

By your own account you are "from" Blue Hill. NOW, you are FROM away. Be at peace with what the town is or is not.

For my part, I am no longer a part of the town having sold my interests there two years ago. I enjoyed my time as a taxpayer in the town, and have benefitted greatly professionally and personally from the experience. But I have moved on to other places and other ideas much as you have done. I hope that you will be at peace with your decision to leave and make your time elsewhere count.

Now I think I am done with this thread.
I guess I should have been when I first said I had no dog in the fight....touchy touchy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top