U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,672,288 times

Advertisements

My wife and I originally planned to retire to western PA in a little place called Bedford. The village is quaint, and the place has the mountains that I need. So about 12 years ago we bought about 40 acres, and built a cabin(20 x 24, two floors) using a www dot shelterkit dot com, with my son who is now 27. Gradually we realized after coming out to the cabin many many times, joining a local Quaker Meeting, that we just didn't fit in the area. The cabin and the land is beautiful and we put so much into the house of our love and time. Of course, I should have picked up my wife's need for ocean with the 27 ocean or lighthouse pictures she put in the cabin, and the fact that when we retired she wanted me to build a three story lighthouse to look down over the side of the hill.

One day when we were vacationing at a house in MDI(the owners who go into a campground for a month), they said to us, "You love it here so very much; why don't you just retire here?" We looked at each other, and it just clicked.

But we had to determine other stuff. But we had to fit with the people too. So we explored the opportunities for us on-island. We found that there is an active Quaker Meeting, way more active than the one in Bedford. We found that there is a very active Senior College which is only open to retirees, and many of them are from other places so that there is a built in connection. Many times retired people are not accepted by other people their age in new environments unless it is a specific retirement village, because they already have friends and don't want to make new ones. Almost everyone we talked to was friendly and interested, and when we told them we would be there all year around they were even more friendly. We found that our education certificates were transferable from PA so we could work part time in the education system if the opportunity occurred. We found ample opportunities to volunteer, especially with the Friends of Acadia National Park.

We checked the weather. On the coast there we found that it was usually no more than 6 degrees less than Southeastern PA all the time, and that it was exactly the same as the place in Western PA that we were going to retire to.

Finally, we asked our friends, family, and kids if they would visit us in Bedford county PA. Uniformly, everyone, including our two kids, said they would come...... for short periods, if they had to. When we asked all these people if they would visit us in our retirement in Bar Harbor, everyone wanted to get on the list, and our kids said they'd spend their vacations with us.

We bought a big house overlooking the Northeast Creek in the upper part of the island, putting almost everything we own into it. The house has two sides, one built in 1908 and one in 1988. People can come and stay in the newer side, have their own bdr, bath, living room, and even outside door. People who don't know us except professionally will not be underfoot. In the winter time we can close off the newer side, and live in the 1200 sq foot other side, for reduced heating costs.

We put a lot of thought into it; its where we want to be, and with the sale of our beloved property in western Pa finally(a combined sad joyful day), we have a time table to retire: SUMMER OF 2011.

zarathu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 AM

9,532 posts, read 14,335,642 times
Like many families we left maine to save up enough money to come home. We're here for the duration. Nobody said it was easy, just worth it. We sure could use some improvement in Augusta, but we have endured 36 years with the same gang in power and nothing will improve until that gang is replaced.

Meanwhile, we help each other out, enjoy the seasons and our very special place in the world. I was at a town meeting years ago and vigorously debating against a power grab by the a small special interest group. I said, "The price of liberty is eternal villagence."

The moderator called me on it. "You said 'villagence'".

I replied, "Villagence is vigilance at the local level." Never give an inch. They were trying to take some of our liberty.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM

738 posts, read 1,615,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Why would you want to live in a place with so much snow and cold and darkness for so much of the year, when most people your age can't stand that, and move to sunbelt states instead (I'm not criticizing your choice of Maine, it's just that I was surprised to learn many retirees have moved to Maine in recent years--I wouldn't have expected that because of the climate, etc.; and I always wondered what motivates them, and how they view the climate).
Many people love the snow. My brother has been skiing twice already and I can't wait to get the sled on the trails. My favorite time of the year.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,131,084 times
A large number of us were born here and have no intention to move away.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,550,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Why would you want to live in a place with so much snow and cold and darkness for so much of the year, when most people your age can't stand that, and move to sunbelt states instead (I'm not criticizing your choice of Maine, it's just that I was surprised to learn many retirees have moved to Maine in recent years--I wouldn't have expected that because of the climate, etc.; and I always wondered what motivates them, and how they view the climate).
Alot of retirees like a slower, safer place. That's Maine. It's also fairly cheap.
But I agree with you about the cold, snow and dark. It takes a certain type of person to "make it" here. And I have finally figured out what that TEST is!!! lol IF you can enjoy November and April (even a little bit), then you'll do fine. You will still have to slog through Dec.-March, but most people can stand four rough months. The keys are Nov. and April.
(We had an AMAZING November up here, by the way. That makes us forget all the not-so-good ones, lol.)

Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,550,041 times
[quote=JC3;11869657]Frostbite, like yourself, I am planning on making Maine my final resting place. I looked in Fl, they can have it. (Before anyone yells, that is just personal preference.) I looked at lakes in many southern states and if you like muddy and brownish water..that may be for some...not for me. Sure there is snow up in New England but each area has some type of weather pattern that isn't pleasant at times. If you are retired and don't need to go to work....let it snow! Depending how far north one goes, I figure you have from April-Nov for decent weather. Yes, April and Nov are iffy but I can live with them. We have black flies but I would much rather them than the damn roaches down south. Heck, I just bite them back.

I swear I made my post about April and November BEFORE I read this one! Lol...............didn't try to steal your thunder :0

Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 4,276,639 times
I listened to a real estate podcast this week originating from Phoenix, AZ which discussed the mass exodus from that area. I remember visiting a friend in Hollywood some time ago and everybody there talked about getting out of California. It seems everywhere you go, there is a percentage of the population that thinks the grass is greener (whiter?) anyplace else.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,698,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Alot of retirees like a slower, safer place. That's Maine. It's also fairly cheap.
But I agree with you about the cold, snow and dark. It takes a certain type of person to "make it" here. And I have finally figured out what that TEST is!!! lol IF you can enjoy November and April (even a little bit), then you'll do fine. You will still have to slog through Dec.-March, but most people can stand four rough months. The keys are Nov. and April.
(We had an AMAZING November up here, by the way. That makes us forget all the not-so-good ones, lol.)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually almost 60 years old, self-employed (I can work anywhere there is moderately fast internet), and I intend to work until I drop.

I asked my original question about why people my age want to move to Maine, to see if there is some negative factor I am missing, because most everything about Maine strikes me as perfect.

I'm down here in New York City, where there are still flowers blooming on my street.

There's something unnatural--even disgusting--to me, to see gardens still blooming in December. Ugh!

Now I love flowers, but I love snow too.

We just don't get enough snow down here to suit me (more snow and cold in NYC in the 50's and 60's, when I was growing up).

But then, working from home I don't have to commute.

And I cannot stand New York summers--I hate hot weather!

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 12-03-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
when we retired she wanted me to build a three story lighthouse to look down over the side of the hill.
Please don't build one of those faux lighthouse homes, unless maybe you build them somewhere nobody can see it.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
Many people love the snow.
Really, me too.

I need all four seasons to be really happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine