U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM

30,640 posts, read 49,300,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Roooolll another one......just like the other one......
Roll ?

Did you roll your car?

What are you rolling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,007,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
'darkness' is what I do not understand.

I went into the city today to run an errand and I get hit by the storm, made it home fine, and went out to plow our driveway. But could not find my sunglasses. I have not wore them since last winter.

I find that the only time I wear sunglasses in when I am outside during the winter.

Where are you going that it is so dark so much?
I thnk Fortunata is referring to Seasonal Depression caused by the much shorter northern winter days. Perhaps s/he leaves for work before it really gets light and doesn't get out of work until after sunset this time of year. Not everyone works where they can even see out a window these days!

Personally, I find it a relaxing change from the early sunrises and late sunsets of summer.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I thnk Fortunata is referring to Seasonal Depression caused by the much shorter northern winter days. Perhaps s/he leaves for work before it really gets light and doesn't get out of work until after sunset this time of year. Not everyone works where they can even see out a window these days!

Personally, I find it a relaxing change from the early sunrises and late sunsets of summer.
Okay.

Right now my house is lit-up fairly bright as it is so bright outside.

Even without a clear sky [it is snowing] the ground has a blanket of snow and reflects white light.

So to me it is 'bright'. Perhaps my perception of this brightness, having been a career submariner is different from other folk's perception of it.

Yes, as you say the days are shorter. Anyone stuck indoors away from windows would not see this.

Commuting to work in the dark, and again going home in the dark, can be depressing. However such is not limited to Maine. The days are growing shorter everywhere on the Northern hemisphere. It is not a Maine-only thing.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,007,423 times
True, it is not a Maine-only thing, but it seems more pronounced here than in any of the other very north latitude places I have lived... which were at or above this latitude (one being 3 or so degrees north of where I now live.)

I don't think the problem is how bright the daylight is but more likely subjective perceptions... Many folks seem to find even bright overcast days -- snow or not -- "gloomy" and I know that I do not respond to interior lights -- regardless of the heat temperature of the light -- the same way I do to sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay.

Right now my house is lit-up fairly bright as it is so bright outside.

Even without a clear sky [it is snowing] the ground has a blanket of snow and reflects white light.

So to me it is 'bright'. Perhaps my perception of this brightness, having been a career submariner is different from other folk's perception of it.

Yes, as you say the days are shorter. Anyone stuck indoors away from windows would not see this.

Commuting to work in the dark, and again going home in the dark, can be depressing. However such is not limited to Maine. The days are growing shorter everywhere on the Northern hemisphere. It is not a Maine-only thing.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM

18 posts, read 37,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
dramamama and I are counting the minutes until we make our escape to Eastport.

The area we are in now here in Ohio was OK at one time but now is a hell hole of cornfields morphing into subdivisions, strip malls, traffic jams, noise, garbage and crime.

Eastport is not that much different from the place I remember as a kid, there is no way I could not go back.
Lots of towns in Maine lack zoning or even a comprehensive plan, so in fleeing cornfields succumbing to development you may find blueberry fields or roadside woods going the same way.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,770,580 times
3/4 of Mount Desert Island is national park. There is a limit to how much land they CAN USE FOR DEVELOPMENT. Unfortunately because the land is limited on-island, the cost for land is outrageous compared to other places. Of course land on the island of Manhattan is just a bit more.

And the land on Hilton Head Island or Hawaii isn't that cheap either.

And at least in MDI, baby-boomers really haven't discovered it yet....... The high roller baby boomers have a few more years before they move.

Zarathu

Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM

55 posts, read 146,272 times
It's dark when I get up. It's barely light when my son leaves for school. I have lots of trees that block out the early morning light. It's bright enough during the day, but by 3:30 it's getting gloomy. That's not enough light, too much dark, depressing. The shadows are so long, all day long.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoseth View Post
Lots of towns in Maine lack zoning or even a comprehensive plan, so in fleeing cornfields succumbing to development you may find blueberry fields or roadside woods going the same way.
Yeah that is pretty cool

Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,389,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunata View Post
It's dark when I get up. It's barely light when my son leaves for school. I have lots of trees that block out the early morning light. It's bright enough during the day, but by 3:30 it's getting gloomy. That's not enough light, too much dark, depressing. The shadows are so long, all day long.
I think lack of daylight can and does affect mood - thus contributing to the misery of "cabin fever" in February (although I think it's a little better then because the days have become longer).

Chin up, January's coming and the days will start stretching out oh-so-slowly but surely.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,741,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I think lack of daylight can and does affect mood - thus contributing to the misery of "cabin fever" in February (although I think it's a little better then because the days have become longer).
I think it will be worse when all incandescent bulbs are replaced with flourescent bulbs, which are even less like daylight than the incandescent ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine