U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 06:17 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,582,895 times

Advertisements

So I'm watching fox (channel 4 in Lewiston) when the Emergency broadcast sound comes on then the pick 3/pick 4 numbers scroll across the screen.

am I losing my mind? Did anyone else see/here this?

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,517,527 times
I missed it.

We don't receive Fox here.

If you think about it though; the lottery is owned by an out-of-state corporation.

All profits leave Maine.

So each time there is a winner, in a manner of speaking, it is an emergency. Maine money is leaving Maine.

And nobody cares.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 PM

45 posts, read 95,058 times
Gee, That's pretty sad if it's true. Even in the dung sluice where we come from we would call that practice parasitic. Can't imagine that the people would allow this to exist. Heck. I'd rather see it privatized and see some jobs created within the state. Just as long as they would be compelled to offer health insurance to all that worked for them. Take it another step and make all proceeds go to equalize the SOP of the Dirigo Health Agency. Too bad political moneys always seem to have a vultures on top of their carcass called a politicians.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,115,601 times
Some engineer hit the wrong button. It's now called the Emergency Alert System (EAS). More politically correct I guess.
Got your attention though didn't it!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,969,018 times
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't vouch for the accuracy. This is posted by Wikipedia.

The Maine Lottery is run by the government of Maine. It is a member of the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL), whose flagship game is Powerball.
Maine originally joined MUSL in 1990, before the Iowa-based organization offered Powerball; it pulled out two years later, when Powerball was introduced. Maine did not rejoin MUSL until 2004. (Powerball drawings moved to Florida in January 2009, although MUSL headquarters remain in Iowa.) MUSL's smaller jackpot game Hot Lotto is Maine's first continuing draw game to have its winning combinations drawn via random number generator (RNG) instead of using traditional lottery balls. Maine's other online games are organized by the three northernmost states within New England; these games are drawn in New Hampshire. Maine also sells scratch tickets.
An agreement has been reached for Mega Millions and Powerball to be sold through every U.S. lottery. The earliest sales of Mega Millions in Maine would be in 2010.

Maine Lottery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,517,527 times
I may have been wrong.

I thought I read that it was done by a company in Penn.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:30 PM

2,052 posts, read 3,975,840 times
Yessah! We sold the liquor profits also, I heaah.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,265,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I may have been wrong.

I thought I read that it was done by a company in Penn.

Are you thinking of Penn National Gaming? There was a lot of controversy about where the profits go from Hollywood Slots.

I didn't see the lottery numbers, but IMO, Maineah's probably right. Someone probably pushed the wrong button at the wrong time.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:44 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,582,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Some engineer hit the wrong button. It's now called the Emergency Alert System (EAS). More politically correct I guess.
Got your attention though didn't it!
I think your right about the engineer, although I would bet it was a bet or a dare from a fellow engineer to hit the button.

bill

Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,051,641 times
I am all for the emergency broadcast system but I think they lost a lot when it became automated. Now the tone goes off over the radio, but there is no statement before or afterwards explaining what it was.

Normally it is no big deal but two summers ago the monthly test landed while we were having a severe thundershower. It made you wonder if there was truly an emergency, or if it was a monthly test that happened at a freak weather occurrence. It proved to be the latter but for a half hour we wondered if we were missing out on something.

All they have to say is: This is a monthly test and everyone would know, but I guess with radio so darn automated today, that would be asking wayyy too much. Thankfully I listen to WKIT 99% of the time so they have real DJ's that come on after the tone and explain what it is.

I know Steven King is an excellent writer, but for those of us who do not like that story type, well his legacy will forever be in our hearts as the guy that lead the fight with local radio instead. I sure hope his estate has provisions for keeping WKIT going should something happen to him or Tabatha. It would be a shame to let local radio die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine