U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM

44 posts, read 66,751 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Some of you may have read my post on looking for used furniture and washer and dryer. Well I feel really stupid! I found a washer and dryer on Craigslist. The guy wrote me back, said they both worked great and he would deliver them for me. He had pics posted and they look new. Well he brought them out this afternoon. The plug for the dryer would not fit my outlet. The washer looks nice, hooked up the water hoses and started it up. I paid him the money. So I decided to wash a load of clothes. I begin running the water in the machine and I notice it does not seem to be filling up and then much to my distress I see all the water in the floor that should be in the machine! Needless to say I am very upset! I tried to call this guy on his cell but it went immediately to his voicemail! I feel like I have been robbed. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone know anything about washers, why would the water be running into the floor! Please respond I am just so very upset by this. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,261,488 times
Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Here is a link to a Maine consumer group who may be able to provide some advice, but I think that since it was a private sale, you may have to live with "buyer beware" especially if it was sold "As Is, Where Is."

They seem to have lost the "punch" they once had under the directorship of John (RIP) but they may be more aware of avenues of recourse for you.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 PM

1,815 posts, read 4,266,828 times
Check the hoses, are they the black rubber type or the braided silver or gold type? I always have that talk with my buyer clients, the black rubber hoses rot out and the water never makes it to the washer.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:08 PM

44 posts, read 66,751 times
Hi
thanks reloop for the link.

As for the hoses they are silver. Also the water runs good, fast into tub when I turn it on to fill but it does not stay in the tub. It is running out onto the floor.

I left him a message when I called and told him the water was running into the floor and to please call me but I have yet to receive a call from him. Not a very good sign.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM

854 posts, read 1,526,314 times
remove the front cover or look under the washer while it is filling
to get a visual of where the water is leaking from.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
My guess is that the washer froze and the pump split last winter. If you are lucky it's just a hose. Replace both hoses if one is bad.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,354,396 times
And you can go to an electrical supply house and get the right plug/cord adapter for the dryer... if you kept that. You don't say if you did or not. When we moved around with the army, it depended where we were stationed as to what the electric plug was, so the Post maintenance would change it out on the dryer as needed. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,902,721 times
Something free to do.. is to see who it is made by.. GE Sears (whome ever)... and give them a call. Customer Service woill probably direct you to problem solving.

YOu tell them what your washer is doing.
( I wouldn't say you didn't by it new.. just go on about your story as if it just happened to you.)
{They tend to be helpful on solving possible problems when they think it's one owner.}

Fingers crossed it's just something simple.

We had washer troubles earlier this year... and after it was all said and done, a $15.95 part was all we needed which was lucky for us.

Hanging you a lucky rabbits foot, a four leaf clover, and hanging a horse shoe over your door of your laundry area."

Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 AM

10,263 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Your dryer cord can easily be changed to fit the outlet. There are two types. Older types used 3 wires; newer types use 4. Changing pigtail cords is common.

I split a drain hose under a washer moving it into the house once. If that is all it is, that would not be a major repair.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,740 times
I was thinking what peachie said...call the manufacture and explain what's happening, see what they say.

The only other thing I would add, and really it's just a version on the poster who said take the cover off it, is to lay it down and check to see if there is a crack in the tub. I would also make sure it's level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or