U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 AM
 
6 posts, read 9,475 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

We know the Eastport area well and plan to purchase a home there in the coming summer. We have been unable to find an answer to one question. We keep a small flock of chickens (no roosters, these ladies are very quiet). Nothing like eggs right out of the bird! Anyway are there laws in Eastport that would prevent keeping a flock on a property? Does anyone know of folks who keep chickens there? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: 3.5 sq mile island ant nest next to Canada
3,015 posts, read 4,870,300 times
Reputation: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVermonter View Post
We know the Eastport area well and plan to purchase a home there in the coming summer. We have been unable to find an answer to one question. We keep a small flock of chickens (no roosters, these ladies are very quiet). Nothing like eggs right out of the bird! Anyway are there laws in Eastport that would prevent keeping a flock on a property? Does anyone know of folks who keep chickens there? Thanks.
It all depends on the zoning where you buy. The ordinance limits you to one large animal in most districts but there would be nothing on small animals. Short of them becoming a health hazard (manure, drawing rats) the only thing is if a neighbor says they are a nuisance and calls the cop, I believe. There are wharf rats (the size of a large cat. Honest.) in the downtown area. They can be drawn obviously by animal feed to the upper side of town.

The island is quite closely packed in town. There are more rural area with acrage around though. Explain it to the R/E agent when you speak to them. The more you tell them the more they can help you find a place that fits.

Here's a link to the zoning ordinance:

Town of Eastport, ME - Zoning Ordinance

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17556
Want a rooster?

We have a few.

We have a spar cochin rooster maybe 7 months old, very quite, nice foot feathers, his tail feathers are not entirely developed yet.

We have a couple Aracauna roosters that we could spare too.

A Rhode Island Red rooster that is also 7 months old, and one that is 2 years old.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 AM
 
6 posts, read 9,475 times
Reputation: 12
Default Thanks

Tinbender...thanks very much for that post. Very helpful.

Beekeeper...sorry, we like our fowl to produce eggs, not noise. We'll stick to hens until we want to breed them. Which may never happen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,721 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Reputation: 17556
Our cochin roosters and Aracauna roosters are very quite.

I never hear them.

We have had breeds which did make a lot of noise. Reds will and whites will.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Eastport, Maine
1,158 posts, read 2,121,891 times
Reputation: 1116
There are a couple of my neighbors in Eastport who have chickens. I don't remember hearing the roosters, so it may be for eggs only. TinBender knows the scoop of the coop!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM
 
6 posts, read 9,475 times
Reputation: 12
Default another thankyou

Maine4us....thanks so much for that note. It is good to know that we won't be unique to the town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: 3.5 sq mile island ant nest next to Canada
3,015 posts, read 4,870,300 times
Reputation: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
There are a couple of my neighbors in Eastport who have chickens. I don't remember hearing the roosters, so it may be for eggs only. TinBender knows the scoop of the coop!
Just outta curiousity, where are the chickens? I know one up near me and Corgi/Mensaguy.

If you want good eggs get gulls. One gull egg = 2 chicken.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, FL
227 posts, read 355,732 times
Reputation: 293
Gull egg like in seagull? Ewww, that doesn't sound very appealing (to me). You've tried them, though? Much difference in taste? How about an ostrich egg for one huge omelet? Nah, that doesn't sound tasty either. There are ostriches down the road from where I live. I love watching them when I drive by, especially cute to see them run alongside me. But I'm not interested in trying an ostrich egg. But I'm getting carried away. I doubt ostriches are allowed in Eastport They'd be quite a sight though!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,338 posts, read 7,354,396 times
Reputation: 33301
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Gull egg like in seagull? Ewww, that doesn't sound very appealing (to me). You've tried them, though? Much difference in taste? How about an ostrich egg for one huge omelet? Nah, that doesn't sound tasty either. There are ostriches down the road from where I live. I love watching them when I drive by, especially cute to see them run alongside me. But I'm not interested in trying an ostrich egg. But I'm getting carried away. I doubt ostriches are allowed in Eastport They'd be quite a sight though!
Probably only need one ostrich egg to make quiche!!! lol
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top