Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times

Advertisements

PS. My mother called the Maine education department first of this month, and they said there are no teaching positions available anywhere in the state that they know of yet. As you know, most teachers who are leaving will turn in notice over the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 04:19 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
PS. My mother called the Maine education department first of this month, and they said there are no teaching positions available anywhere in the state that they know of yet. As you know, most teachers who are leaving will turn in notice over the summer.
As far as I know each of the over one hundred school districts hires their own faculty. I have not heard of any state organization that had any input on the hiring practices of individual schools.

I have a friend who is on the Milford School District board, they have two openings and are trying to fill them.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 PM

117 posts, read 444,855 times
Default elcarim

elcarim, so were those numbers for nc or maine?

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
speaking of education....

did you know that the Univ of Southern Maine will now offer a FREE Bachelor's Degree to any incoming freshman who will graduate and teach Tech Ed in Maine? Many of us knew that class as "shop" growing up but now it's tons more---CAD stuff, robotics, they even do silk screening and recording studio stuff here in Calais. It turns out that many teachers in that area are retiring and we need new teachers in that field. I think that's amazing---and I'm hoping that may entice my now HS sophomore son! (His HS junior sister wouldn't even consider it as she's been blessed with my completely non-technical mind!)

Last edited by mollysmiles; 05-22-2007 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: typo.....

Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
As far as I know each of the over one hundred school districts hires their own faculty. I have not heard of any state organization that had any input on the hiring practices of individual schools.

I have a friend who is on the Milford School District board, they have two openings and are trying to fill them.
Oh, good! I'll let her know.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinginasuit View Post
elcarim, so were those numbers for nc or maine?
Oh, sorry. I guess I wasn't clear. Those are for Texas, just to give you an idea of what the deep south can cost you. We're here now, but not for long! Moving to Maine first half of next year!!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Elcarim, AFAIK most teacher vacancies do not involve the Department of Education. They're filled through ads in the local newspapers, online listings, and word of mouth. (Do not EVER discount word of mouth.) Make a list of the school districts that interest you and contact each of them individually and check out their websites, if they have one.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I spoke with the couple who sits on the Milford school board, at a function this evening, they are still looking for one more teacher.

If the state 'education' folks say that school districts are not hiring; then they are lost or blind.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:46 PM

117 posts, read 444,855 times
I had no idea that the South (TX) was that much. I read stellar things about KY/TN/NC, etc.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 PM

46 posts, read 173,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Move to Maine and rent for a year or two. If you love it, buy a house and settle in. If you hate it, move on. You're 28. You're young. You've still got time to screw up and fix things.

Completely agree.
A short version of my experiance with Maine. From Ny, moved to Maine, not for me... moved back. No biggie. stay tuned: moving to Florida. oh boy. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine