U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times

Advertisements

do any of you fine folks know much about mep? or maine food producers?(alliance) or maine chefs kitchen?(featuring maine maine products)
i recently met with a woman named rosemary, head of mep and working with a grant to promote maine products-
any input would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,540,203 times
I'm reading and interested. My maternal grandparents were dairy farmers in Winslow. A lot of your posts have reminded me of the things I learned and watched as a small child hanging around the farm.
As well, it also has to be interesting to the newbies looking into moving to the state from the big cities. It's all very interesting.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Maine Agricultural Trades Show (http://www.getrealmaine.com/visit/trades_show.html - broken link) The schedule is overdue but the general information is listed.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:01 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,050,226 times
Oh good you took that as it was supposed to read. I suppose you could have read it as arrogant and in your face...which it was not meant to be. When you mentioned foot rot, I kind of thought you were making fun of me as I have had a terrible issue with foot rot in my flock. I am at wits end really with that to do with it except cull the dickens out of my flock. As soon as the lambs come, I am culling deeply.

But to answer your question, I am aggressive with foot rot, it just is not enough at this point and why I am waiting to get some help via The University of Maine Cooperative Extension. It is just too bad that with deep budget cuts, a farmer has to wait until these farmer helpers get specific grants. Fall outside the grant parameters and you are out of luck and on your own.

So anyway this is what I do with foot rot in my flock of sheep.

1. When I see a sheep limping, I grab her and pull her into my "hospital shed" which has a concrete floor.

2. I administer 8cc's of la-200 as a long term antibiotic, and 1 cc of FluMeglumine (aspirin) to help reduce swelling and ease pain

3. I trim their feet and douse their hooves with copper sulfate powder mixed with water

Everyday I sweep the hospital shed down to concrete and get rid of all mud, manure and bedding. Its pure concrete to keep the bacteria from taking root. In warm seasons I spray the floor with bleach, but in cold seasons I use more lime. Lime helps up the PH level to a point where bacteria does not thrive. I also spray my boots down with pure clorine bleach to stop the spread of foot rot outside the hospital shed. (I could easily track it into a pasture or onto another farm if I did not do this).

4. On the third day I administer a second shot of la-200 at 8cc as a booster, but no FluMeglumine as the swelling/pain is subsided in the sheep.

For three weeks I isolate the sheep as foot rot thrives for 10-14 days. 21 days ensures its killed off. This quarantine from the other flock should keep it from spreading, but I cannot keep it in check for whatever reason. The good thing is, the foot rot sheep get is different from cows so my cows and sheep cannot pass each to each other...or I cannot bring foot rot up to the big dairy farm, or track it back down to my farm.

I got two things I can do better, but are tough to do.

The first is go to a penicillin administered morning and night for 7 straight days. (time consuming)

The other is put the sheep in a foot bath for 20 minutes a day for 3 days apiece. (This is very tough as my sheep refuse to use the foot bath I have.)

Either way, whether dealing with one sheep, or dealing with 5 sheep in the hospital shed, it takes me about 1-1/2 hours per day to deal with foot rot. Its not overly expensive for medicine, but it is a serious time drain on me.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Quote:
When you mentioned foot rot, I kind of thought you were making fun of me as I have had a terrible issue with foot rot in my flock.
I don't think anyone mentioned foot rot. I just wanted to know how you manage 4,000 bovine feet. I've never had to deal with them. I can trim goats and sheep and deal with founder in horses (too much grain can cause problems in all three) but I've never seen anything done to a cow's feet.

A friend dealt with her flock's foot rot problem with an agronomist to re-mineralization of her pastures. An agronomist from Aroostook county came down to do the work. He did very specific soil tests and had the minerals mixed based on the rest results. The flock's problems cleared up but one goat just wouldn't come to the front so he's now salami.

When I poke at you it's by DM. It's more fun that way because I don't have to pick and choose my words so carefully.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,050,226 times
I understand now. Sometimes I forget where I post things, getting confused between a few postings on the Maine forum and a trillion on the Rural Section of this web site.

Either way cows hooves are just a big a deal on the farm as they are for my sheep. Every other week they are run through a foot bath of Copper Sulfate to help keep down foot rot. As for trimming them, we do have a machine that allows the cow to enter and then flips them on their sides, but generally we get a hoof trimmer to come in and do it. He is faster and what he charges is easy to justify. He has the tools too which are bigger of course.

In some ways dealing with cows feet is easier though because you see them twice a day, in a parlor where they are penned up and can't really move. With their hooves at waist height, you can wrap them, administer meds, etc without having to play keep-away out on pasture like you do with the sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or