U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:55 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 906,009 times

Advertisements

I would like to comment on the french from what i seen when I was there a few months ago...

I stopped at a gas station asking for directions, and most people there were speaking french (suprisingly mixed with english as well it seemed), but they spoke very good english as well, and if i didnt know many people up there speak french nativly, i would consider them native english speakers. They had newspapers in both french in english, same with radeo stations. They spoke better english than "touristy" parts of qeubec i have been to (and other parts of the province speak almost no english, besides the very basics).

I would not let french deter you, although it could be an assett in getting "accepted" by the locals.

And yes i could get there from there (i can not use here in past tense ).

Also dont be suprised to see welcome to maine signs along the roads even if you never enter canada, i found that funny.

And just because i have to... There were no Dunkins i saw... But timmies were everywhere and if you never been, they got great donuts but ok coffee, but you can make the latter at home... .

P.s. You are close to a huge chunk of nothing (thats a good thing for me and others), the closest mall is in bangor i believe, but the closest uninhabited census block... A few miles (possibly less).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 07:32 PM

352 posts, read 268,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
One weird question. Do you think they would be accepting of an older gay man? Just saw a house here, that I really like and the price is right.
While most locals should be welcoming, many rural Mainers are a keep-to-themselves, quiet lot that you may perceive as unfriendly.

Northern Maine's beautiful country if you're an outdoorsman, but don't expect much in the way of great medical care, shopping choices and other conveniences. The more self-reliant you are, financially and otherwise, the better you'll fare up there.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:42 PM

316 posts, read 309,599 times
I mean, I'm not particularly worried about you being gay; if you are a responsible neighbor and make an effort to get along with folks, that won't be your biggest issue. But as another poster pointed out, Madawaska really is a different world compared to Florida.

My contribution to this thread is to encourage you to spend a couple of week there, on both sides of the border, before becoming serious. The drive from Portland, Bangor, Presque Isle, or wherever you fly will give you and idea of how close you are to other American cities and will reveal a lot about the area.

Madawaska is a nice place to live with a neat culture, but it really is pretty isolated. Sure, you can cross the river, but I'd make sure you know what you are getting in to before considering it seriously.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,540,022 times
You can cross the river with your driver's license. Canadians don't care. But without a passport, THE USA won't let you back in.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You can cross the river with your driver's license. Canadians don't care. But without a passport, THE USA won't let you back in.
They wont let you back in... easily.... you will eventually get in, but i recon it would take a pretty dam long time (im assuming about a week). You would need to contact people on the other side of the river to help you get documents/birth records/ ect, to prove you are truly an American.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM

119 posts, read 148,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You are going to move there from Florida? Are you kidding? This will br so much different that where you live now that you will think that you transplanted to Mars.
Excuse me, just what do you mean?

I have lived in many places besides Florida. I currently live in red neck land, where I don't dare tell anyone I am gay! Or are you talking about the weather? I am no fan of hot weather.

I am an outdoors person. I like to go biking and hiking. Here it's too hot to do either in the summer. I love the snow. I lived in the Northwest before moving here to take care of my elderly mother. I really don't like Florida at all.

Last edited by Kenny48; 08-01-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,540,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Excuse me, just what do you mean?

I have lived in many places besides Florida. I currently live in red neck land, where I don't dare tell anyone I am gay! Or are you talking about the weather? I am no fan of hot weather.

I am an outdoors person. I like to go biking and hiking. Here it's too hot to do either in the summer. I love the snow. I lived in the Northwest before moving here to take care of my elderly mother. I really don't like Florida at all.
I mean what I said. Very very rural Maine is very different than metropolitan Florida. And then there is the weather. And the outlook and attitudes of people is very different in very rural out of the way areas than it is in metropolitan areas.

If you move to a place that is very different from where you live now you better be sure that the people, the amenities, the weather, and the political climate is what you want it to be. I would be very careful telling anyone in a very rural area that you are different from them in significant ways. And if this is your personality and part of your life, you may find living there to be very onerous no matter how nice the house is.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,761,562 times
FL to ME is huge diff. But.. if your heart is set & you visit in winter, as Slyfox says, it'll define it. I grewup in ice & now in snowbltl of upstate NY playing hockey, so now in the AZ desert I've thinned blood out. But I hope to return north soon & am prepared to go back to it. Remember, can always put clothes on in cold but can only take so much off in heat. Still, visit as no way to tell if winter is your bag. Don't go now as it is hot but wait til Dec-Mar & see your desire then. Mada is wayyy up there & very damp cold. Ok just IMHO.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 PM

Before i continue i will state that despite being conserverative, i fully support gay rights , but wasnt Aroostook the only county to vote out of favor for legalizing gay marriage in Maine?

And for those wondering Mada is in "The County".

Old 08-01-2016, 09:15 PM

Also what part of the northwest. Anywhere west of the divide will be much warmer than northern Maine. Wa/Or is very mild (even southeast alaska is very mild in comparison). Some parts of Montana west of the GD is colder, but not by much from surronding areas barring high altitude (for the area).

Using Fort Kent data (more data as it is a population center for the area), you can expect a range from -5 to 19ish degrees in january, which compares to anchorage which averages from 11-20 degrees. Most of the west is also less humid (dry cold is like dry heat in that its more manageable).

I am not trying to deter anyone, the cold and winters can be handled, i am just stating some facts.

Also it reach -30 or -40 in FK a few years back (for those mainah's more familar with the area)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine