U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2009, 02:38 AM
 
6 posts, read 18,529 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

1.) Just wondering if the town is multi-cultured or predominately one racial group?

2.) Is the town modernized? movie theaters,malls,restaurants,grocery stores ect?

3.) Is the cost of living high or low in this town?

4.) Are the locals friendly towards minority racial groups?

5.) Is the town predominately Republican or Democrat?


Thank You very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 AM
 
1,594 posts, read 3,405,270 times
Reputation: 1092
Madawaska, Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

has a lot of the info you're looking for. With a population of less than 4,500 people, you won't find a lot of malls. Mostly French-speaking population. Nice place, I've always enjoyed visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,865 posts, read 3,519,770 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykel View Post
1.) Just wondering if the town is multi-cultured or predominately one racial group?

2.) Is the town modernized? movie theaters,malls,restaurants,grocery stores ect?

3.) Is the cost of living high or low in this town?

4.) Are the locals friendly towards minority racial groups?

5.) Is the town predominately Republican or Democrat?


Thank You very much
First, you should know that Madawaska and Edmunston are 20 seconds apart (across the river). Total population is about 25,000. Very Acadian French. Mostly white, but there is a first nations population in Edmunston as well. The town of Madawaska has all services..theater, Kmart, Mardens, some good shops, some good restaurants, a big grocery store, etc. Edmunston has ALOT of stores, etc.
Madawaska is cheap, relatively speaking. Homes and rentals are very reasonable.
The locals are definitely friendly. The Acadians were severely oppressed for most of their history, which I think helps Acadians to be accepting.
The town is hugely Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Reputation: 8929
The numbers say the town is hugely Democrat. That's true, but the population hunts and fishes. They own camps in the woods and on the lakes. They are very pro-life and overall responsible people. Many are self employed. Their grandparents were Democrats and the label has been passed down through the generations. They are actually Republicans with the wrong label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM
 
8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
First, you should know that Madawaska and Edmunston are 20 seconds apart (across the river). Total population is about 25,000. Very Acadian French. Mostly white, but there is a first nations population in Edmunston as well. The town of Madawaska has all services..theater, Kmart, Mardens, some good shops, some good restaurants, a big grocery store, etc. Edmunston has ALOT of stores, etc.
Madawaska is cheap, relatively speaking. Homes and rentals are very reasonable.
The locals are definitely friendly. The Acadians were severely oppressed for most of their history, which I think helps Acadians to be accepting.
The town is hugely Democrat.
Evidently MOST of the people in that area live in Canada as the posted population of Madawaska is just over 4300.
That's a far cry from 25,000!!! Canada is NOT the USA!

Last edited by Maineah; 12-09-2009 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,865 posts, read 3,519,770 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Evidently MOST of the people in that area live in Canada as the posted population of Madawaska is just over 4300.
That's a far cry from 25,000!!! Canada is NOT the USA!

Madawaska was its own "republic" before there even WAS a Canada. It encompassed both sides of the border. That spirit still lives on today.
Edmunston is a great city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Cashtown, PA
243 posts, read 331,491 times
Reputation: 211
Take yer tin hat off NMLM
There are different flavor Democrats just as there are different flavor Republicans. We are a "mixed" couple - I am a conservative Democrat, my husband is a liberal Republican. Our conversations get interesting at times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Pasco County, Florida
119 posts, read 147,949 times
Reputation: 197
Default Madawaska

One weird question. Do you think they would be accepting of an older gay man? Just saw a house here, that I really like and the price is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
4,865 posts, read 3,519,770 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
One weird question. Do you think they would be accepting of an older gay man? Just saw a house here, that I really like and the price is right.
It's the same for you as for anyone else in the area: if you come in and are friendly, you'll be accepted. If you are not, then you will have a polite welcome.
People around here are "live and let live". So many people come and go (can't stand the winters, for many) that people may need to see a small sign from you that you're not just a "fly by nighter" before they get too close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in deep in Maine
3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Reputation: 4211
You are going to move there from Florida? Are you kidding? This will br so much different that where you live now that you will think that you transplanted to Mars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top