U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Kitten/muffin guy here. Wouldn't someone who'd moved there from somewhere else as a small child and then grown up there be less "from away" than someone who'd done the opposite? Interesting that there are certain states that seem more concerned about this subject than others and where "outsiders" feel a greater degree of insecurity about being from another place.
Mainers are welcoming folks but they expect you to leave things alone when you get here. There have been people living in Maine since the Viking times and we just don't like people from somewhere else coming here and telling us what to do no matter how "gently" it is foisted upon us. If people like things the way things are where they live now, fine...stay where you are. We don't need to make Maine like the place you left. If you come to Maine work with us not against us and respect the history and traditions of this area or go elsewhere.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM

161 posts, read 344,221 times
Well at least four of cats were born in Maine (Machias and Lubec). Now they live part of the year in Connecticut and part in Maine. One is a Maine Coon but the others are just, well regular cats. Is the Maine Coon any more or less a native than the other three? They are dying to know.

Alan

Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSLubec View Post
Well at least four of cats were born in Maine (Machias and Lubec). Now they live part of the year in Connecticut and part in Maine. One is a Maine Coon but the others are just, well regular cats. Is the Maine Coon any more or less a native than the other three? They are dying to know.

Alan
The Connecticut cats are definately flatlander cats. They should be quarrantined before being allowed to come in to Maine. The proper authorities will be notified.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,642,890 times
[
Quote:
QUOTE=banjoseth;11983486]Last week I started a thread and was amazed at the hostility directed at me not because of the content of my argument but because of who was making it - a person perceived to be "from away".
be nice and you wont be attacked.that simple

Quote:
It didn't matter that I was born in Maine, grew up here, that my family has lived here since the 1760s or that I spend time (and money) here, paying hefty taxes on and restoring a historic property while supporting local businesses and charities.
just because you were born in Maine dont make you a maineah.

Quote:
The fact that my legal residence is out of state apparently renders me a second class citizen, somebody it's OK to treat like something you scraped off your shoe.
people get treated the way they treat.meaning if some one treats some one like crap they will be treated like crap.

Quote:
What is this about? My idea of a native is somebody who was born in Maine, period. You can't take away a person's birthright just because they had to leave the state in order to find work.
your idea is wrong.
if you have lived out side of Maine for more then 6 months you are now from away.to get your birth right back it will take you 7 years as a Maine resident.

Quote:
By the same token a person who lives in Maine currently can never be a native if they weren't born here. You will always be "from away" (are you listening, Acadianlion and Island Girl?) even if you moved here decades ago.
see this is a direct attack on acadianlion and some one named island girl.(if you mean Island mermaid)she's not a girl she's a lady and you will treat her like one.

Quote:
(Basically we're ALL "from away" unless we're Native American, which I also happen to be as was recently confirmed by DNA testing.)
oh please every body and their flipped uncle has Indian blood in them that dont make you special.

Quote:
Being shouted down or called names in some online forum is one thing but the attitude represented here extends to town meetings, where it really matters - a good idea isn't a good idea if someone "from away" proposes it, it would seem.
this is an easy one, if you dont want to be called names then stop calling names or stop posting.

Quote:
What does this say about our state? It's all very well to be proud of being from here, it's a great place, but bigotry and hatred are ugly emotions and don't reflect well on us at all.
dont say all of us remember you live in mass.we are the ones who stuck it out and carved out a living in our state of Maine.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM

566 posts, read 1,255,954 times
Banjoboy why do you come on here and start the same old thread again? Wasn't this deleted once already? Stop beating a dead horse and stop calling Island Mermaid "Island Girl". Perhaps there is another forum where you can go and stir things up and post comments in. Of course I am not being rude to you I am just a Maine native speaking my mind.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juststoppinby View Post
Banjoboy why do you come on here and start the same old thread again? Wasn't this deleted once already? Stop beating a dead horse and stop calling Island Mermaid "Island Girl". Perhaps there is another forum where you can go and stir things up and post comments in. Of course I am not being rude to you I am just a Maine native speaking my mind.

Politics and Other Controversies

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Bye now banjoe. Write if you get work.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
My brother and sister were born in St. Stephen as there was no good hospital here then (so said my father). However my mother "carried" them here and they grew up here. Are they Mainers or biscuits?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,263,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Mainers are welcoming folks but they expect you to leave things alone when you get here. There have been people living in Maine since the Viking times and we just don't like people from somewhere else coming here and telling us what to do no matter how "gently" it is foisted upon us. If people like things the way things are where they live now, fine...stay where you are. We don't need to make Maine like the place you left. If you come to Maine work with us not against us and respect the history and traditions of this area or go elsewhere.

True, and I don't know how many times people have to say it. It's also true of every other place on the planet - it's simply human nature.

Discussions like this truly don't do much for the perception of how 'welcoming' or 'unwelcoming' we who live in Maine are.

I'm with Ranger on this one. He's pretty much summed it up quite nicely.

Frankly, I don't care where you came from. I care about how you respect and treat people. Everyone gets uppity now and again, but discussions that are patently visceral (and personal) simply cause people to close their ears and minds IMO.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
My brother and sister were born in St. Stephen as there was no good hospital here then (so said my father). However my mother "carried" them here and they grew up here. Are they Mainers or biscuits?
Worse....they're Canadians!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,147,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Foreigners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or